92 Jeep Cherokee Question(S)!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
my jeep is mad old. its all F*ed up.

lately the biggest problem is that when i approach 55mph my car starts to kinda shake.... like the whole chassis (if thats the proper word)... i can sometimes quell the shaking with slowing down a little and letting the car switch gears.... but im wondering, what causes this to happen and is there anything i can do to fix it? preferably something not costly.........

THANKS!

Original thread was fine. Necro-post from the newbie wasn't. Locked.

Zenmervolt - AnandTech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It sounds like you need an alignment. Do you feel it in the front of the car? Do your tires have any funny wear on them or wearing very quickly?

And does the shaking stop when it shifts or does it stop as the speed comes down (shifting it should stop suddenly, speed it will come down slowly as the speed does).

If it's just an alignment you can get that done pretty cheap.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
yes, def in the front but i mean, im in the front obviously so it just feels like the entire thing is shaking, like the wheels might roll right off the vehicle! or the engine is wobbling or something!

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: GiggleGirl
yes, def in the front but i mean, im in the front obviously so it just feels like the entire thing is shaking, like the wheels might roll right off the vehicle! or the engine is wobbling or something!

It sounds like the alignment or you have something loose up front. Either way you should take it in to a mechanic.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
awww crap! lol

i do get free rotations at sams club for buying tires there.... i wonder if they do alignments and how much that shit will cost me.....

THANKS mr. bignate

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Many tire places will do an alignment. Your Cherokee has a non-adjustable rear end so you only need a front end alignment. This can run $30-70 depending on the place and the car. It's a relatively cheap fix that you're technically supposed to do every so often. Most people don't though until they run into problems, but it will kill your gas mileage and eat your tires even if its just a little off.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Originally posted by: Bignate603
Many tire places will do an alignment. Your Cherokee has a non-adjustable rear end so you only need a front end alignment. This can run $30-70 depending on the place and the car. It's a relatively cheap fix that you're technically supposed to do every so often. Most people don't though until they run into problems, but it will kill your gas mileage and eat your tires even if its just a little off.

sweet thank you so much. i appreciate the knowledge. amongst the million other things wrong with my car, every little bit helps. you rock!

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I had a 93 cherokee, I loved that car. Cherokees will rattle and have a bunch of annoying problems but they keep running.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
well my oil leaks... i burn trans fluid. my windshield wipers are possessed and work at their will. my AC is dead. my steering sticks and unsticks when it it pleases... my mileage counter is no longer in service... and on a very rare occasion my odometer stays at zero. and i have to guess how fast im going based on the surrounding traffic

i need a new car :(

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The oil leak is normal if its coming from the valve cover or on the back of the engine. Burning the transfluid isn't common, you should have the AW4 (I assume you have an automatic) which is arguably the most reliable jeep automatic ever.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
it comes from the bolt area, where you drain the oil. its stripped (not the bolt)

yea its not common so my father told me. i have no idea what that is and yes its automatic. i pretty much put transmission fluid in my car almost as much as i do oil because of the leak. prob once or twice a month, depending....

i dont have the kinda money i would need to make things right with this car. im praying to win the lottery so i can get a scion
lol
or matrix. or vibe- for some reason i like those cars

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If you can still get the drain plug in and out you could get some teflon tape and wrap it around the threads on the bolt. My jeep CJ5 leaked like crazy until I did that. Now I don't get a drop out of the drain plug.

The AW4 is the kind of transmission you have.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Go to Jeepforum and ask. Here is the Cherokee tech forum http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Bignate603 seems knowledgeable about Cherokees, but on that board there are 51 Cherokee enthusiasts viewing right this moment, and they really know their stuff.

That sounds like death wobble, which is caused by suspension bushings being worn, or it could be your driveshafts, or any number of things. Is it 4wd?

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Unless she's running around with 4wd engaged on the highway that front drive shaft won't spin. That '92 should have a vacuum disconnect front axle which is supposed to lower the wear and gas mileage penalty of 4wd by unhooking the front drive line when not in use. While its more convenient than the old disconnect hubs its prone to breaking. However, I've never heard of it getting stuck engaged, it always seems to pop a vacuum leak and refuse to go into 4wd.

It could be death wobble, most likely those bushings are worn out. I'm also wondering if its something that's transmission related because she mentioned it happened at 55 when the overdrive would kick in and she's burning a bunch of fluid.

Any way you look at it she needs to bring it in to a mechanic. It doesn't sound like she has the tools or the experience to fix this herself. Cherokees are generally easy to work on and parts are relatively cheap so it won't be as bad as it could be.

You could also try looking at www.naxja.org which is probably the best for looking up cherokee help (XJ is the model code for cherokee)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I dont think it's death wobble because he didn't say that the Jeep tried to run him off the road because it was shaking so badly. ;) The transmission fluid disappearing is weird too. luckily Cherokees are common, so it's easy to find a replacement.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by: GiggleGirl
well my oil leaks... i burn trans fluid. my windshield wipers are possessed and work at their will. my AC is dead. my steering sticks and unsticks when it it pleases... my mileage counter is no longer in service... and on a very rare occasion my odometer stays at zero. and i have to guess how fast im going based on the surrounding traffic

i need a new car :(

Heh, I have a '92 Cherokee as well. No AC here as well, and the wipers only work on high, which is ok cause it doesn't rain much here in the desert and I never really like AC much anyways. My speedo also does not work sometimes, and I have found that going faster(around 50-60 mph) usually makes it come to life. I also am having trouble with my neutral safety switch and lots of driveline/suspension clanks. Thing still runs like a tank, and the 4wd works flawlessly and has gotten me out of more than a few jams. Plus that straight 6 engine is pretty damn indestructible.

As for your shaking issues, I had the same problem, but the problem went away after I got four new tires, so you might just have unbalanced tires. Check your wheels and see if it appears a wheel weight has fallen off recently, this is a lot easier to do if you have alloy wheels. Although an alignment problem is just as likely, I found there were only a couple "sweet spot" ranges of speed that would make the Jeep shake, and if I avoided them it was fine, which sounds like your symptom as well. Improper alignment would cause the shaking throughout the higher speed ranges.

I love my Jeep and will never get rid of it, but I really wish it got better mileage. I have an '80 Corolla as well for the mileage problem, but still prefer to drive the Jeep, so much more torque.

Originally posted by: Bignate603
The oil leak is normal if its coming from the valve cover or on the back of the engine. Burning the transfluid isn't common, you should have the AW4 (I assume you have an automatic) which is arguably the most reliable jeep automatic ever.

That is because it is an Aisin unit. Who also made another one of the most indestructible trannies ever, the A131L 3 speed used in Corollas, Prizms, and Novas. (all the same car basically)
The Chrysler transmissions that made it into later models did not fare so well...

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
thanks everyone, you all rule. i can never bitch too much about my jeep.
oh i also forgot that it sometimes doesnt start. i have to put it in neutral to start it up. i know its the switchover thing thats the problem and i dont care enough to fix it. it happens really randomly

i have fairly new tires. less than 4 years old. and i am due for a rotation soon. will probably look into getting an alignment. i have no idea about weights etc, as the boyfriend suggested that could be an issue

so another thing ill have to inquire about. i never use the 4wd. when my dad gave me the jeep, he said no 4wheeling... EVER! lol but i think that was out of safety concerns. and i still have never used it. lol

about the shaking. it just started semi recently. where its kind of a wobble back and forth. the engine used to lurch a long while back or not shift into gear whilst driving which is how i discovered the trans fluid issue.

hmmm, what else.... i dunno.

i am enjoying reading about my car though. lol

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If its a wobble back and forth it really sounds like something is worn or loose in the front end. Before you get it aligned you may want to have a mechanic look at it quick. If you get it aligned and it turns out you need front end work you may just have to get it done again afterwards.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
If you take the Jeep to a place to have the tires rotated, tell them to check the balance as well. They should do it for free/very cheap especially if it is the same place you bought the tires from.

I think our Jeeps are long lost cousins, as I have the same problem with my neutral safety switch, and it sometimes doesn't even work in neutral and I have to row it through the gears a few times to start.

I can see why you don't need the 4wd, living in Florida. :p I lived in Ohio and now New Mexico, so snow/mud/hilly terrain have necessitated it's use a few times, but I don't off-road it for the sake of it.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
i bought the tires at sams club and they do my rotation every whatever miles. i will ask about the balance thingy.

dude you dont even know. my jeep needs an exorcist. its all insane in the membrane.

donations toward a new car are welcomed and accepted. lol

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Where do you live? In some areas as long as it turns on, drives, steers and will go into 4wd it will be worth close to a grand. People just want to take them out and play with them off road.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
if you got the package of lifetime rotations you also have the lifetime balance as well all the FREE!!!

take advantage of it. I thought my GF bought the package but she didn't, now i have to rotate them....

if the tire balance/rotate doesn't get it done, look into the alignment like everyone suggested. Because when you take a car to get aligned the tech should look for worn out parts and etc before doing the alignment. IN this case a somewhat FREE diagnosis on your supension.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
i love in florida.... it does all of those things, as far as i know. i really do need a new car though. especially having a 3 yr old. i want a safe vehicle.

and im pretty sure i have the free rotations forevAr! so maybe ill get a balance for free. that would be nice. thanks for the tips boys!

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I like how people still don't read threads before replying. The myth of needing a two ton vehicle to keep your family safe is just that, a myth.

I like my Jeep for it's durable prowess, not because I think it will keep me safe. Not sure what your family situation is, but it might be time to go to a 4-cyl minivan, depending on how whipped your mate is...

Status
Not open for further replies.