$9.24/yr hosting @ dreamhost

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: Slugbait
Like RossMAN said waaaay back when I first decided on his "seal of approval" cheap host for RippleHost: you get what you pay for. For awhile, I had a great deal with Ripplehost. Now it's time to move on.
Actually RippleHost.com never has and never will carry the "RossMAN Seal of Approval".

They are a cheap web host period and I've always warned people "you get what you pay for". Obviously that has fallen on deaf ears for some.
OK, I got my memory mixed up, sorry. That was almost two years and a couple of kegs of beer ago. It must have been somebody else who said "Seal of Approval" and it stuck in my head like all the other voices I can't seem to evict. But I did get the "you get what you pay for" part correct, right? ;) And for about 18 months, RippleHost did fine for what I needed...but now they are not providing even the minimal service I needed, so I moved on...

[edit] Cripes, I wasted my 1500 defending myself :D [/edit]

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
wait. wait. wth, why are people getting pissed at garlic and calling him a threadcrapper??? the op is violating several forum rules.

To get this deal you have to PM me

::edit::

it's actually only $9.24/yr, not $9.95 as i had first listed

if you are referred to this service by this post, and you would like to count me as your referrer, please PM me

garlic is in the right here you idiots.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: dc
wait. wait. wth, why are people getting pissed at garlic and calling him a threadcrapper??? the op is violating several forum rules.

To get this deal you have to PM me

::edit::

it's actually only $9.24/yr, not $9.95 as i had first listed

if you are referred to this service by this post, and you would like to count me as your referrer, please PM me

garlic is in the right here you idiots.

:thumbsup:

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
I really dont care much WHO is in the right. I just know I'm now saving $290/yr over my last domain hosting......thanks for posting this. I owe you big time. :cookie:

Joerg

Nov 10, 2004
I am kind of new to web hosting and everything. Anyways just got an account and im trying to ftp it but im getting an error from windows saying it cannot find the folder and it may be a dns res issue. I am downloading smart ftp now to see what i can get going there.

If anyone has sometime to drop a few pointers this is what i would like to know.

How do i get started by uploading a site with front page. I know the front page steps but what else do i need to know?

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Just got in.. this is a NICE deal!

Edit: Holyshit! I can access my domain about 4 hours after I registered! Maybe because their nameservers are based around LA? :shrugs;

ECartman

Nov 16, 2002
yup still worked. bought yet another domain name and 1 year hosting for $9.24. I have no idea why.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: screw3d

Edit: Holyshit! I can access my domain about 4 hours after I registered! Maybe because their nameservers are based around LA? :shrugs;

Welcome to 2004.

DNS propagation no longer takes 48-72 hours. It's been this way for a while with most domain registrars and web hosts.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Welcome to 2004.

DNS propagation no longer takes 48-72 hours. It's been this way for a while with most domain registrars and web hosts.

Sweet! The last time I registered took me about 3 days! But I think that has something to do with my ISP's DNS caching.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
I've had a plan with these guys for a couple of months now, and there has been no problems. I've only used http, and smtp.

one7

Mar 6, 2005
Thanks OP. Looks like a great deal, I just signed up for one domain (my current provider expires in 5 months, will give me plenty of time to switch over.)

Anyone have anything to offer as to reliablility or uptime (or lack thereof) with this deal at Dreamhost? I only gave this thread a very quick scan, but I don't recall seeing anything negative about them.

I've got my fingers crossed. :)

DGath

Jul 5, 2003
I host about 5 domains with 1and1 and pay $10/month so I'm really looking into this. Am I correct that dreamhost limits you to 3 domains with the $9/year plan? Still saves me a bunch of money to switch, but just curious.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

i've heard something about "fast propagation" or something like that? not sure if dreamhost uses it though... it took me over a day to be able to access my site...

kaborka

Jan 17, 2000
I'm in LA, too, and my new domain was in my SBC DNS servers within a few hours.

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: DGath
I host about 5 domains with 1and1 and pay $10/month so I'm really looking into this. Am I correct that dreamhost limits you to 3 domains with the $9/year plan? Still saves me a bunch of money to switch, but just curious.

You have to use a different credit/debit card for EACH. That's what I did to get 3. Otherwise, you're limited to 1 if you use the same CC.