8TB WD easystore - $149.99

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I think that's an early Black Friday deal (should be live/in-stock on 11/23). People noticed that the SKU is different from the $180 drives, and are afraid that these may contain non-reds. Still an excellent deal, but I'm not getting excited until somebody confirms what's inside. I don't think WD makes non-red 8TB drives, so who knows.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My best guess is that the "BB" at the end of the model code, means that these are a Black Friday-only SKU, only for BestBuy. (Although, BestBuy advertised the prior drives as "Only available at BestBuy" for the EasyStore units, so who knows.)

Were these cheaper models ever in-stock? Did anyone get one yet?

Does WD make SMR drives at all? Wonder if it could be an SMR white-label Blue drive.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I don't think anyone got theirs yet; it was online-only.

I don't think WD makes SMR drives, only Seagate. Still have a couple of weeks until the deal goes live so we should be able to find out well before then.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If these are the same as I was reading in the SD thread, they had shifted to using non-red labeled reds in them. Also something about a different connection point but I only skimmed the recent post.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, my second two drives arrived (now yesterday), and I shucked them (Red 8TB model, labeled), and put them into my NAS. Interestingly, I noticed that the first pair, which I had in a Lenovo IX2-DL NAS unit, which is SATAII (3Gbit/sec), which, when placed into my QNAP NAS, shows "Current Speed: 3Gbit/sec" "Maximum Speed: 6Gbit/sec", for those two drives, and 6/6 Gbit/sec for the two new drives. So, it seems the first SATAII NAS put a DCO (drive configuration overlay) onto it, to switch it to 3Gbit/sec (SATAII). So, the QNAP isn't smart enough to fix that issue on it's own, it looks like I have to load the drive(s) onto a Linux PC host, and play with the DCO options. Well, if I really cared. The 112MB/sec of the Gigabit LAN connection is going to be the primary bottleneck, I think, so I don't really care that much that two of the drives are stuck in 300MB/sec max SATAII mode.

Reactions: Thebobo

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Ordered a couple logi & ST items from the recent sale that I have to pick up at the store, will check if they still have any in stock as they or OOS online.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Well, my second two drives arrived (now yesterday), and I shucked them (Red 8TB model, labeled), and put them into my NAS. Interestingly, I noticed that the first pair, which I had in a Lenovo IX2-DL NAS unit, which is SATAII (3Gbit/sec), which, when placed into my QNAP NAS, shows "Current Speed: 3Gbit/sec" "Maximum Speed: 6Gbit/sec", for those two drives, and 6/6 Gbit/sec for the two new drives. So, it seems the first SATAII NAS put a DCO (drive configuration overlay) onto it, to switch it to 3Gbit/sec (SATAII). So, the QNAP isn't smart enough to fix that issue on it's own, it looks like I have to load the drive(s) onto a Linux PC host, and play with the DCO options. Well, if I really cared. The 112MB/sec of the Gigabit LAN connection is going to be the primary bottleneck, I think, so I don't really care that much that two of the drives are stuck in 300MB/sec max SATAII mode.
Nice. My two drives shipped and now in transit, should get them soon. Two questions about RED drives, since I'm not going to be using them in RAID/NAS, does anybody know 1) how can I turn off head parking and 2) how do I disable TLER?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
At what price-point would you be willing to buy more of these? I snagged 4 so far, all NESN units, all with Red label, 8TB, 5400RPM, 256MB cache. Have filled a QNAP 4-bay NAS with them. Wondering if I should get any more.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I clearly should have bought this, but by the time I saw the deal my $210 Seagate had already shipped.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
At what price-point would you be willing to buy more of these? I snagged 4 so far, all NESN units, all with Red label, 8TB, 5400RPM, 256MB cache. Have filled a QNAP 4-bay NAS with them. Wondering if I should get any more.

I'm regretting not getting one more when they were back at $150 (deal just expired - back at $200 now). I have two of the 8TB Reds in my HTPC, along with one 6TB Red; one more 8TB could replace the 6TB.

I probably wouldn't jump on any more unless they're <$160.

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Received a NESN box today ----> says it's "Made in Thailand" DCM:MGBJRCK :)