8TB WD easystore - $149.99

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
8TB WD easystore for $160 at Best Buy, free shipping or store pickup. The lowest this has ever been was $180. Everyone who has bought one and shucked it has confirmed that there is a Red inside. I finally jumped on it and bought two to replace the 6TB Reds in my HTPC!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easy...a3a6fb011e783ae76a70f53cfb20INT&skuId=5792401

How to remove the drive:
https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=102709744&postcount=19

EDIT: Just confirmed both of mine are Reds. WD80EFAX. If you look on the bottom of the box, you'll see it was either made in Thailand or China; if it was made in Thailand (mine were), it will be one of the new Reds with 256MB of cache, otherwise it will be a regular Red with 128MB of cache (WD80EFZX). Good deal either way.

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
FYI, not sure how many cases this affects, but if you mount your drive using the bottom holes, they're different on these Reds than other drives. Two of the holes are towards the upper part of the drive rather than the middle. I can't mount them in my Node 304, so I contacted Fractal Design for an updated set of drive cages.

I think mounting via the side holes is OK, though.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
I have zero need for 8TB of storage. But I still want to buy one just because this seems like a legit good deal. Makes me feel nostalgic for the good old days of Hot Deals.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Just checking: Has anyone ever found anything other than a Red drive?

The bottom of my package says "Product of Thailand" while some at the store said "Product of China."

I opened mine and it's a "Red" with 256MB cache.

Has anyone ever found a non-Red 8TB drive in these? If not, I'll probably buy a few more of these.

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Just checking: Has anyone ever found anything other than a Red drive?

The bottom of my package says "Product of Thailand" while some at the store said "Product of China."

I opened mine and it's a "Red" with 256MB cache.

Has anyone ever found a non-Red 8TB drive in these? If not, I'll probably buy a few more of these.

Looking at SlickDeals, no. These easystores (only at Best Buy) have been 100% Red; it's the 8TB MyBook drives that contain non-red heliums (I bought two of those a few months ago for offline backups).

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Looking at SlickDeals, no. These easystores (only at Best Buy) have been 100% Red; it's the 8TB MyBook drives that contain non-red heliums (I bought two of those a few months ago for offline backups).
Thanks! I'll buy some more.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Got mine about an hour ago and they were both made in Thailand and 256mb Red drives. Great deal!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
In for two yesterday, Thailand as well. Fancy new RAID1 built and currently pushing my old mix of garbage failing HD's to it.

This was a better deal than most, .02c/GB vs the average of .04 for capacity disks, essentially letting you RAID1 protect data for the cost of a single drive.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
I was blown away by this deal on Sunday when I was at the store, but decided not to buy them cause I had no funds. But then my preorders for the SNES Classic got canceled, so I went in for two on my lunch today. They only had one from Thailand and the other was China. I was disappointed for a moment, but then thought oh, well, I'll just get them both and see if the China was was a Red too, but then I saw a third 8TB in the 4TB spot on the shelf. It was Thailand! So I just put the China one back.

#coolstorybro

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I was blown away by this deal on Sunday when I was at the store, but decided not to buy them cause I had no funds. But then my preorders for the SNES Classic got canceled, so I went in for two on my lunch today. They only had one from Thailand and the other was China. I was disappointed for a moment, but then thought oh, well, I'll just get them both and see if the China was was a Red too, but then I saw a third 8TB in the 4TB spot on the shelf. It was Thailand! So I just put the China one back.

#coolstorybro
Pretty sure the China ones are also Red, but they have half the cache memory.

I thought my store only had one left, but I saw an overstock area 1 aisle over that was loaded with them. Basically a wall of these drives.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
What's a good NAS enclosure for these?

I don't know anything about NAS.

Pre-built or roll your own? Any of the Synology boxes are probably good, but I'd recommend building your own for easier upgradability and customization. If you build your own, check out unRAID for an OS.

I use my HTPC as a "NAS" (Node 304 case); I keep wanting to build one but I don't see the point of having something running 24/7 when I really only use it on the weekends.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Pre-built or roll your own? Any of the Synology boxes are probably good, but I'd recommend building your own for easier upgradability and customization. If you build your own, check out unRAID for an OS.

I use my HTPC as a "NAS" (Node 304 case); I keep wanting to build one but I don't see the point of having something running 24/7 when I really only use it on the weekends.
I'd just like to buy one and be done.

Can anyone tell me why the Buffalo 2-bay is $79.99 and the QNAP 2-bay is $199.99?

Buffalo:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...nal_Cloud_Storage_and_Media_Server_-_LS220DE#

QNAP:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/474976/TS-231P-US_2_Bay_Personal_Cloud_NAS

Is there a significant difference in features or performance?

I've never had a NAS and I don't know what I should be looking for.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I'd just like to buy one and be done.

Can anyone tell me why the Buffalo 2-bay is $79.99 and the QNAP 2-bay is $199.99?

Buffalo:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...nal_Cloud_Storage_and_Media_Server_-_LS220DE#

QNAP:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/474976/TS-231P-US_2_Bay_Personal_Cloud_NAS

Is there a significant difference in features or performance?

I've never had a NAS and I don't know what I should be looking for.
Basically, the QNAP unit has a faster CPU, more RAM, and dual Gigabit LAN and USB3 & eSATA interfaces, and usually, QNAP is better built.

That Buffalo has less RAM, slower CPU, 1 Gigabit LAN port, and USB2.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Basically, the QNAP unit has a faster CPU, more RAM, and dual Gigabit LAN and USB3 & eSATA interfaces, and usually, QNAP is better built.

That Buffalo has less RAM, slower CPU, 1 Gigabit LAN port, and USB2.
Can’t really see a case where I’d need more than 1x gigabit LAN connection. Why would CPU and RAM matter all that much for Network storage? My 2TB Seagate GoFlex Home probably doesn’t have any noteworthy CPU or RAM specs.

Is USB just for attaching additional drives?