8TB WD easystore - $149.99

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
Yeah, Best Buy sales are Sunday through Saturday.

I expect it to probably go on sale again in the coming weeks. I plan on buying two more when it does. Didn't have the funds for more than two this week.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Price went up. I knew I should've jumped on this before the weekend :(

They do have a 4TB for for $109 which is $90 off.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easy...able-hard-drive-black/5792405.p?skuId=5792405

Also they have the 1Tb for $50 off @ $49 and the 2 TB for $50 off @ $79.

I'll probably hop on the 4 TB. Is there a better version of this? Thailand???

This 4TB looks to be a 2.5" drive, so it won't be a Red. I read somewhere that the larger 4TB easystores (3.5" drive inside) used to contain Reds, but start popping up as Blues. As of now, I think the only reliable Red is in the 8TB easystores. I suggest waiting for the next 8TB deal if you don't need one ASAP.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Can’t really see a case where I’d need more than 1x gigabit LAN connection. Why would CPU and RAM matter all that much for Network storage? My 2TB Seagate GoFlex Home probably doesn’t have any noteworthy CPU or RAM specs.

Is USB just for attaching additional drives?
If you have more than 1 computer accessing the NAS at one time, then it matters.
You can use the USB port to hook it up to the computer/device directly, so it will see the NAS as a external HD. Check out some reviews before you buy either. like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA838Wwew9k

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Got the new NAS earlier in the week and took apart my 4 drives today. Average about 5 minutes each with most of the time for the first and last drives (first learning while last was quite tight so my plastic cards had trouble getting in).

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Got the new NAS earlier in the week and took apart my 4 drives today. Average about 5 minutes each with most of the time for the first and last drives (first learning while last was quite tight so my plastic cards had trouble getting in).
Did you break any tabs? The vid I linked to earlier in this thread really has the best way to do it with a butterknife. Very simple & fast.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Nope, other than minor imperfections on the inside at the curve you couldn't tell it had been opened.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Oh, Phuck, what did I do... I ordered two of them... Hmm. :p

Here's to upgrading one of my NAS units, from 2x1TB, or possibly the 2x3TB NAS, to 2x8TB. Should be fun! :)

I wish I could afford four of these EasyStore units. Maybe I should wait, and order two more next month. Then I could have a 4x8TB NAS. That would be even sweeter, as I would only lose 25% of gross storage capacity to redundancy (RAID5), rather than 50% (RAID1). Something to consider.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Oh, Phuck, what did I do... I ordered two of them... Hmm. :p

Here's to upgrading one of my NAS units, from 2x1TB, or possibly the 2x3TB NAS, to 2x8TB. Should be fun! :)

I wish I could afford four of these EasyStore units. Maybe I should wait, and order two more next month. Then I could have a 4x8TB NAS. That would be even sweeter, as I would only lose 25% of gross storage capacity to redundancy (RAID5), rather than 50% (RAID1). Something to consider.
Haha that is the decision I am trying to make, I have a QNAP 451+ coming today and am trying to decide whether to pick up 2 more today and go the RAID 5 route. I am going to move my Plex setup to this device and turn off the HTPC I am currently running it on so with that much space I could use it for that and a lot more.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I got my two "EasyStore" 8TB externals today, ... along with 3x Lenovo IX2-DL 2-bay NAS servers. Which I ordered off of ebay, for $55 + $20 international ship. They were advertised in USD, with location "Hungary". Sadly, they did NOT come with USA power adapter plugs. But I think I can manage, because I have some Seagate external drives I shucked, and I saved the power adapter paraphernalia that came with them, and I think that they had the same type of power adapter, so I think I can borrow the USA plugs off of them. IF I can find them, that is. :p
(Edit: Found them, but they don't have the removable prongs like I though, and they are only 12V 1.5A, and the Lenovo NAS units need 12V @ 3.0A. Darn.)
Edit: A buddy of mine suggested this, using the EU prongs, and then getting a physical AC prong adapter to go from Euro to USA style plugs and prongs. I ordered a few off of ebay for $1.29 ea. from China. I probably could have gotten away with the ones without the ground prong, for $0.99 ea, but I wasn't sure when I ordered.

I already own one Lenovo IX2-DL, and I like it, although, I am a little hesitant to put 8TB drives in, as they previously had a total RAW capacity limit of 8TB, although they have WD Red 6TB in the QVL, so I thought that recent firmware versions had raised that limit, and that a Red 8TB would just slot in, being essentially similar to the 6TB Red.

I've placed the two 8TB Red drives into the NAS, and booted it, and when I got the management screen, it listed 7.29TB "unallocated". So, I just set the name of the NAS, clicked "OK", and it's .... "processing". For the last few minutes. I don't know if it's trying to format the drive(s), or what. I'm going to try to shoehorn the newest firmware on, and then re-setup as RAID1, 16TB RAW, something like 7.29TB fomatted net.

Edit: It worked out. It recognized both drives, automatically set up a mirror arrangement, and I was able to update the firmware fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linflas

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I ended up getting 2 more, I had $20.00 in Rewards points to get them down to the same price I paid for the 1st 2. Shucked all 4 and now have the QNAP up and running.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I re-assembled the EasyStore 3.5" HDD USB3.0 enclosures, using several 1TB WD Black drives that I had. (Ordered from ebay for $30 ea.)

So, that just feels right, high-performance 1TB WD Black drives, standing in for the 8TB Red drives, while those drives chill in my NAS unit.

Maybe I can sell them, a friend of mine likes the WD Black drives. They CDM at 106-110MB/sec over the USB3.0 on my Ryzen 5 1600 rig.

I didn't benchmark the 8TB Reds in the enclosures, did anyone do that yet? What is their Seq. read/write using newest CDM?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are the 4TB EasyStore 3.5" drives, worth getting at $109.99? I guess the 8TB for $160-170 is a slightly better deal per TB. Unfortunately, the price of those is back up to $199.99.

Are they Reds or Blues? Either way would probably be OK with me, I might not even shuck them.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3608318

2 x WD Red 8TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80EFZX
WD Storage Combo and Saving
In stock. Limit 5 per customer.

Was: $548.00
Now: $540.00
Save: $8.00

Hmm. $170 + tax x2 for two 8TB Red drives, or $540? I know which one I picked...

Edit: HEY, BTW - link in OP is still live, for $179.99 + tax @ BestBuy.com. They're back on sale!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Now these are listed TWICE on BestBuy's ebay store. The older one, that's sold 3500+, listed at $179.99, and then the "new" listing, for $299.99.

The link in OP that goes to BestBuy.com is still valid, and shows $179.99 too.

So these are still available under $200, for anyone that wants one (or more).

Reactions: Thebobo