8 yr old Yemeni girl dies on wedding night

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Parental consent doesn't exactly constitute "special circumstances".

It does when an adult would not themselves need anyone else's consent to enter a contract. It means that on their own a person underage cannot enter into a contract. They need permission from their parents and in some cases additional permission from a judge. Those constitute special circumstances.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Since when is the topic of this thread about plants?

If liberals had their way, the 8 year old girl could get a morning after pill with no questions asked.

Liberals are for marriage equality, so lets see some equality.

You're out of your fucking mind if you think there is a single liberal in this country who agrees with the nonsense you just typed.

Apr 27, 2012
Please go to Yemen and personally address this.

As for your "waiting" I don't think anyone here has voiced even an ounce of support for the practice. Its disgusting, its old testement, and frankly it needs to die. There are NGOs that are engaged in fighting these kinds of practices both international and domestic Yemini groups.

I'll admit it, I've done nothing to support their fight. What have you done besides come here and try make some lame ass political statement?

It's not safe to go to Yemen especially considering obama is fire missiles from drones onto them.

I'm waiting for the same level of condemnation that would occur if this was a Christian that did something like this. If this was a Christian there would be far more outrage. The MSM has been trying to ignore this case.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You're out of your fucking mind if you think there is a single liberal in this country who agrees with the nonsense you just typed.

Members of this forum are all for marriage equality, except when it comes to something they disagree with.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Members of this forum are all for marriage equality, except when it comes to something they disagree with.

So, you are saying that 40 yo man + 8 yo girl == consenting, adult gay marriage?

LoL...way to represent for Texas. derp.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
So, you are saying that 40 yo man + 8 yo girl == consenting, adult gay marriage?

Who are we to say the girl did not consent?

We are using our culture to makes guesses about another culture.

Personally, as started earlier, this topic makes me rather sick. The girl was a pawn in a religious sickos fantasy. As far as I am concerned take the guy out back and pop a cap in his head.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Personally, as started earlier, this topic makes me rather sick. The girl was a pawn in a religious sickos fantasy.

An 8 yo girl is in no way ready to consent to marriage, and that's the point... I'm not making guesses about any culture. I'm making observations about this particular situation. I don't care where this is located, it can be in the USA...wtfever, no 8 yo can consent to something of this nature.

Stop being sympathetic for the sake of being sympathetic. "oh, look at me, TexasHiker, I'm so understanding of other cultures"...derp.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Personally, as started earlier, this topic makes me rather sick. The girl was a pawn in a religious sickos fantasy. As far as I am concerned take the guy out back and pop a cap in his head.

It has nothing to do with culture. We know that an 8 year old's brain is not developed enough to consent to sex.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

So, you're saying that if you're for marriage equality for gay couples then you must therefore be for marriage equality for every other person/place/thing anyone wants to marry? o_O

That's like saying I'm for removing traffic signals at this particular corner therefore we must remove traffic signals at all intersections. Your argument makes no sense.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
An 8 yo girl is in no way ready to consent to marriage, and that's the point... I'm not making guesses about any culture. I'm making observations about this particular situation. I don't care where this is located, it can be in the USA...wtfever, no 8 yo can consent to something of this nature.

It has nothing to do with culture. We know that an 8 year old's brain is not developed enough to consent to sex.

I know that.

Like I have said before, the whole situation makes me sick.

Liberal logic 102, the government and your morals need to stay out of other peoples bedroom.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So, you're saying that if you're for marriage equality for gay couples then you must therefore be for marriage equality for every other person/place/thing anyone wants to marry? o_O

Based on the logic used for marriage equality for gay people absolutely.

Every argument used by SSM activists gain be equally applied to every other form of marriage that anyone can dream up.

It seems pretty hypocritical to spend years throwing a fit about other people forcing their definition of marriage onto you and then turn around and want to force your definition of marriage onto others :colbert:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I know that.

Like I have said before, the whole situation makes me sick.

Liberal logic 102, the government and your morals need to stay out of other peoples bedroom.

I've never heard of liberals saying the government should stay out of preventing child molesting. The idea is that the government should stay out of anything between consenting adults.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I've never heard of liberals saying the government should stay out of preventing child molesting. The idea is that the government should stay out of anything between consenting adults.

Considering a recent court ruling that said women of any age should have access to the morning after pill,,,,.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Based on the logic used for marriage equality for gay people absolutely.

Every argument used by SSM activists gain be equally applied to every other form of marriage that anyone can dream up.

It seems pretty hypocritical to spend years throwing a fit about other people forcing their definition of marriage onto you and then turn around and want to force your definition of marriage onto others :colbert:

Congrats, you have just stated the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read on here.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Congrats, you have just stated the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read on here.

Did you see the thread where he insisted there was no difference between touching someone's nose and touching someone's vagina? That stands as the record holder for me.

I remind myself of that if I'm ever tempted to argue with him.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Did you see the thread where he insisted there was no difference between touching someone's nose and touching someone's vagina? That stands as the record holder for me.

I remind myself of that if I'm ever tempted to argue with him.

I like to argue with people like that so that they continually publicly show how stupid they are.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
The unintended consequences of laws addressing sex between teachers and students

Read the whole article. She flip flops around because she realizes that her views could be viewed as extreme and she consciously attempts to temper them albeit in a haphazard fashion. The example case she uses is one in which a teacher pled guilty to the rape of a 14 year old student. The student later committed suicide. The teacher was given a sentence of 30 days. (*The article was written prior to public outrage leading the judge to later reconsider the sentence.)

She likes the idea of students and teachers having sex but believes that teachers should be "rehabilitated". In other words, no long lasting punishment need be doled out. The author is a former attorney with the emphasis (mine) on former.

Laws related to statutory rape are in place to protect children, but the issue of underage sex, and certainly of sex between students and teachers, may be one in which the law of unintended consequences is causing so much damage that society needs to reassess.

I can post other articles.

I will pose a question. Is the breakdown of the family and the resultant breakdown of the fabric that holds society together a natural occurrence? Or is it an orchestrated occurrence?

*If you're interested in the case, scroll down to the bottom for follow up articles. http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...cle_b1f84190-ef23-5868-8799-b779c0421dc1.html

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Considering a recent court ruling that said women of any age should have access to the morning after pill,,,,.

And? How exactly does saying that one who gets pregnant should have access to a morning after pill equate to agreeing with child molestation?

Only a prick resorts to these kind of lame brained polemics.

No respect.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The unintended consequences of laws addressing sex between teachers and students

Read the whole article. She flip flops around because she realizes that her views could be viewed as extreme and she consciously attempts to temper them albeit in a haphazard fashion. The example case she uses is one in which a teacher pled guilty to the rape of a 14 year old student. The student later committed suicide. The teacher was given a sentence of 30 days. (*The article was written prior to public outrage leading the judge to later reconsider the sentence.)

She likes the idea of students and teachers having sex but believes that teachers should be "rehabilitated". In other words, no long lasting punishment need be doled out. The author is a former attorney with the emphasis (mine) on former.

I can post other articles.

I will pose a question. Is the breakdown of the family and the resultant breakdown of the fabric that holds society together a natural occurrence? Or is it an orchestrated occurrence?

*If you're interested in the case, scroll down to the bottom for follow up articles. http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...cle_b1f84190-ef23-5868-8799-b779c0421dc1.html

None of that supports the comment that Texashiker made. This author says that consensual sex between teachers and teenage students shouldn't necessarily be criminalized because the legal process is hard on the "victim" (her word). I find that view objectionable, but it's a far cry from advocating the rape of 8 year olds. And I don't even know who the heck that person is. I googled her, and funny thing, I find lots of articles criticizing this column. All of them from the left. Examples:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...rguing-teachers-jailed-sex-underage-students/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...mize_rape_in_the_pages_of_the_washington.html

http://jezebel.com/wapo-writer-uses-louis-c-k-s-pedophile-joke-to-defend-1236096027

Your attempt to tar the left with this idiot's opinion is duly noted as typical of the P&N right. You guys must resort to these kinds of tactics because you don't have any logical arguments.

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
That part is not required in the new Canadian law. In the US, the laws on common-law marriage typically require you to claim you are married; in Canada no such claim is require to be declared married by the state without your consent.

You're a moron. British Columbia (not "Canada") passed a law that essentially codified decisions that the courts were already making when long-term conjugal-couples split. The new law didn't do anything to change the division of property when a common-law couple splits. It's purpose was merely to streamline the process of defining which property is "family property" rather than allowing claims and counter-claims for this property to clog up the courts.

But keep on pretending that this law "forced" couples into being married. In fact, it's merely a formalization of "palimony" case law, which exists in most first-world countries.

-----------------

Now, explain to us how laws defining which property of a long-term conjugal couple is communally owned is remotely analogous to laws which allow children to be forced into marriage.

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#Colorado

Why do people keep claiming that the girl was raped? Even under US law no rape occurred.

Yep. Why don't libs follow their own so called "logic"

If a Yemenese guy wants to marry an 8 year old girl how does it affect you?

If Yemen lets dudes marry 8 year olds are you worried you will be overcome with an uncontrollable urge to screw your neighbor's daughter?

Love is love ;)

Proof of said rape occurring? Under US and I assume Yemen law there was no rape.

5sz7.jpg