7900GT: Unlocking the Beast Within

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ryan Norton

Dec 8, 2005
Hey dude, as far as GPU temps go, my 7800GTX hovers around 80C playing Oblivion in an extremely well cooled case and the stock cooler on the card. Of course, when I had a VF700Cu, load was only like 65C... waiting for StepUp to put a 7900GTX through its paces, although this thread has me thinking about selling the 7900GTX when it comes and buying two 7900GTs...

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
thanks for the info. In my opinion, i'd definitely try to get a pair of 7900GTs and sell the GXT if i were you. The overclocking on these things is absolutely rediculous. I've gotten higher clocks than most 7900GTX reviewers have, and i'm simply using the same voltage as a GTX. I've also heard that XFX and EVGA have the cherrypicked cores, which is why they can clock them so high by default. I think both have the 520/1500 ones for around $309, so in my opionion its worth the extra $10

Dexmaus

Apr 18, 2006
where did u guys get the conductive pen? and how much are they? which one did u get? the micro tip or?

iamtrout

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Dexmaus
where did u guys get the conductive pen? and how much are they? which one did u get? the micro tip or?

You can get them at MicroCenter if there's one in your area. I'm sure Fry's has one also. Or Radio Shack. Or just order online somewhere. They're around $15.

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
Hey all,

how many of you guys would consider volt mod to 1.4v on the stock cooler?

i have just ordered an XFX 7900GT (£199 from www.lowestonweb.com- great price!) guess i am going to have to get a vf700 and a multimeter also!! :p

thanks

dman918

Aug 18, 2005
So, do I need to check anything? Try any certain technique or check any certain settings. It is just weird the best I can get is ~630/1600 when I have the VF700 and the heatsinks on. Again, I can get higher through 3dmark without any problems, but there is no stability in the games. Come on gurus, give me your thoughts. Let's get an uber overclock that's stable. :)

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
in my opinion, XFX's coolers are terrible. Their boards on the other hand are generally very good, and they seem to OC quite well (basing it off of my 7900GT and my old 6600GT). The pen and zalman cooler are totally worth it. For under $350 you get the performance of a $500+ card. Besides, zalman coolers work with just about any board, so you can reuse it if you ever upgrade the card (although i cant forsee needing to do that for another 1.5-2 years).

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Originally posted by: dman918
So, do I need to check anything? Try any certain technique or check any certain settings. It is just weird the best I can get is ~630/1600 when I have the VF700 and the heatsinks on. Again, I can get higher through 3dmark without any problems, but there is no stability in the games. Come on gurus, give me your thoughts. Let's get an uber overclock that's stable. :)

Hmm, all you should need is the mod and then that's it, it will "trick" the board into giving your GPU 1.4v instead of 1.2v. After I did the mod I could hit 690-700 core no prob. (Backed down to 687 since)

Still, I would think you should be able to get at least 650 on the core.

Are you using coolbits?

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
has anyone tried the the conductive pen mod to 1.5V? If so, a) how much extra speed did it net you and b) how much did it raise your temps? I'm trying to figure out if its worth it to go for more, or if I should be happy with what my board can do at 1.4V.

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: gobuckshas anyone tried the the conductive pen mod to 1.5V? If so, a) how much extra speed did it net you and b) how much did it raise your temps?

Read the thread.

Originally posted by: crazylegshow many of you guys would consider volt mod to 1.4v on the stock cooler?

I wouldn't go past 1.3V on the stock cooler. Give 1.3V a shot though. Some folks have done well at 1.3V on stock cooling. It's actually not a bad cooler little copper cooler. The fan is just too small.

Originally posted by: Ryan Norton
I'm thinking about trying this out... browsing xtremesystems forums and found an excellent pick of a simple, conductive pen 1.2v to 1.4v mod:

WOW! What an amazing "find." LOL. It's been posted here several times already in addition to the original thread at VR Zone.

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
thanks dude... am going to get an after market solution just looking for best deal on either vf700 or 900 in the UK ! :p

dont like the way the stock offers little to no cooling for the mem :(

also need to hunt down a good UK source for a 'conductive pen' (unless i risk soldering!) only 1 i've found is £20 (maplin) which seems a LOT seeing as i will use it once then put in draw for rest of life...

EDIT:

wahoo just bought a 2nd hand Conductive Pen for £5 from eBay :D

now just need a tutorial on how to use the thing...!

dman918

Aug 18, 2005
I've used coolbits, rivatuner, and powerstrip. Right now I am back to coolbits, though it only allows up to 800 memory. In rivatuner, my settings would reset after running for a while (or so it seemed - maybe in a reboot?).

I figure I should be better. Temps seem in line and everything. It is just when I run the games themselves, there is the problem.

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
OK your all going to have to pardon my noobiness...

but when it comes to hard modding (even though it seems a VERY simple process) i have no practical experience of this kind of thing :(

i.e. never did any electronics based classes at school and have never emperimented as as amateur...

reading this thread and one of the associated articles concerning the VOLT MD to 1.4v the guy briefly mentioned laying out the line/track with marking paper or something...!?!

- is this necessary or can u just mark the line straight on with the conductive pen?

Basically does any1 have DETAILED instructions how to physically carry out the MOD... for a 1st timer...

not just another pic of where to draw the line as that is obvious.

thanks guys n girls :D

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
i recommend tracing a line out on paper or something first - applying the proper pressure takes a little bit of practice, and you're likely to get a big blob your first time lol. I kinda drew it in sections - lay a little dab on the lefthand starting point, then drag it up towards the top of the board. Then lay another little dab, and drag it to the right. Then lay another dab, and drag it to the righthand finishing point. if you try to do it in one motion, it will probably end up a mess.

and aldamon, I have been reading the thread, even though its now over 14 pages long, and I have yet to find a person with the following information:
Voltage | Max GPU | Max Mem | Max Load Temp
1.4V | ~675 | ~1800 | 69C
1.5V | ???? | ???? | ????

I've seen peoples' results with one or the other, but not results for both using the same card - that would tell me how much more speed to expect if I decided to voltmod it further.

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
cool thanks for that... but still dont see where the 'tracing line on paper' bit comes in ?

is this just used as a rehersal?

but yeh i totally get what you mean by doing it in 3 seperate lines... like the pic... make the line into 3 sides of a rectangular block...:D

Dexmaus

Apr 18, 2006
I just got the conductive pen from Radio Shack today, im about to do it once the VF900 arrives. I was wondering about the same thing, can you use a ruler to draw the line? does the line has to be straight or as long as they connects? how could u tell its at 1.4V without the multireader?

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
This isn't guarenteed but a good way to knoqw your voltage is by looking at how much you can OC, with 1.4V you will get 630-680 so if you are in that range then you are probably at 1.4V

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: crazylegs
OK your all going to have to pardon my noobiness...

but when it comes to hard modding (even though it seems a VERY simple process) i have no practical experience of this kind of thing :(

If you're using a conductive pen, don't worry if you mess up. Just clean it off with alcohol and try again. The 1.5V mod is trickier than the 1.3V and 1.4V mods because you have to connect more points and you're working in a small space. I re-did my mod a couple of times before getting it right.

Originally posted by: gobucksand aldamon, I have been reading the thread, even though its now over 14 pages long, and I have yet to find a person with the following information:
Voltage | Max GPU | Max Mem | Max Load Temp
1.4V | ~675 | ~1800 | 69C
1.5V | ???? | ???? | ????

I've seen peoples' results with one or the other, but not results for both using the same card - that would tell me how much more speed to expect if I decided to voltmod it further.

OK, well everything I've read here and at other boards indicates performance (and heat) goes up with more voltage. I have good cooling, so I went straight to 1.5V. Nobody here will be able to tell you if your card will do better with more voltage. If you have appropriate cooling, why not just experiment on your own and see what happens?

Originally posted by: Dexmaus
I just got the conductive pen from Radio Shack today, im about to do it once the VF900 arrives. I was wondering about the same thing, can you use a ruler to draw the line? does the line has to be straight or as long as they connects? how could u tell its at 1.4V without the multireader?

Don't be a stupid and wreck your $300 card. Buy a $10 (shipped) multimeter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899

An no, the electricity is not going to care about the shape or length of the line as long as the points are connected.

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
cool think i'm getting somewhere now...

have multimeter in the post (£6 deliverd from eBay)! and am only going to go for 1.4v first off... 1 slight problem though... the original VRZONE post link that shows exactly where to monitor the voltages does not seem to work for me any more :( are there any other links to pics that show where to monitor voltages?

to clarify:

Is it possible to just use conductive pen and draw the 3-straight connecting lines - i.e. no 'tape' involved?

thanks

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: crazylegsIs it possible to just use conductive pen and draw the 3-straight connecting lines - i.e. no 'tape' involved?thanks

Yes.

Originally posted by: crazylegs
now concerning the TAPE... is it just meant to be used as masking tape? i.e. u cover every where in tape APART from the chanel u want the ink to go in? and in doing so stop the conductive ink from running where it shouldnt...!

thanks

Yes.

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
i just meant draw it out on paper first cause your first few times will probably look like crap. the ink comes out much faster than i thought, and you'll probably end up with a big blob the first time. practice until you can get a really small dab that you can draw with, rather than just oozing ink everywhere lol. I didnt see any need for tape - i just drew my vertical lines straight up and the horizontal line nearly at the edge of the board so that there was little risk of it hitting anything important on the way.

As for OCing my card, I think i'll probably lay off overvolting any further than 1.4 for now. temps are already kinda high, and I get the feeling I'm not gonna gain that much. I might go ahead and try the memory voltage mod though, although I have yet to see a good picture of it. Besides, memory speed is where it really matters at the high end, and since my chips can do at least 1800MHz on stock (havent used rivatuner yet), I think they've probably got quite a bit left in them with a little extra juice.

hynat

Mar 29, 2005
Is it safe to do 1.3v with the stock cooler? Currntly with stock 1.2v I get 52c Idle and 63c Load. That's at 575/770.
I really don't want to spend another $80 on 2 zalman VF900s for my 7900 GT SLI setup. And I hear 70c Load is pretty safe so do you think I can get away with it?