7900GT: Unlocking the Beast Within

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I am probably going to buy a Zalman XF900 kit in a few weeks when they come out. Take off the stock HSF on my 7900GT.

samusaraniv

Mar 12, 2006
Oh MAN -- AWESOME FIND!

I will be experimenting with this for sure later tonight!

I have a VF700 on my 7900GT SE so I bet I will get comparable results to that guy's heatsink/fan combo.

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Keep in mind though that they are using an open-air test bed. A closed case would increase the temps significantly and would probably require water cooling to keep it at those speeds and volts . . .

I really don't want to do any hard mods (and void my warranty) but if the softmod to 1.4v actually works, I'm all there . . .

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Just found out about the trick with the conductive pen. No physical alteration of the card so it shouldn't void the warranty. Gonna try it tonight and see if I can hit GTX speeds and above . . . :D

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
I'm sure I've read that a closed case with good intake/outtake results in lower overall thermals than an open case... but I'm sure results vary by components and cases. Anyhow, I'm am extremely impressed - I'd like to see a followup with a phase-change cooler.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Wow is all I can say. 800+ on the core and 2100MHz+ memory? Sounds like some $600 cardwe would expect next year.

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Originally posted by: therealnickdanger
I'm sure I've read that a closed case with good intake/outtake results in lower overall thermals than an open case... but I'm sure results vary by components and cases. Anyhow, I'm am extremely impressed - I'd like to see a followup with a phase-change cooler.

Unless you have a 20" fan blowing into it like I have . . . ;)

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: samusaraniv
Originally posted by: 1Dark1Sharigan1
Conductive pin? What's this?

Here

It's easy and (relatively) safe . . .

I see. I guess I'm a dumb$$$, what do you need to do with those two pins? Link them electronically somehow?

yeah how does that work? picture doesn't explain much...

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
wow, that 1.3V mod looks awsome, i might try it. if anyone did, post some pics. I wounder how much raising the voltage to 1.3 should help OCs over the average 560MHz on the 1.2V.
I will not feed more than 1.3V to my card.

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
You just need to connect them by drawing the lines shown in the picture with a conductive pen.

Are there any programs that could do this? I mean I don't wanna screw around with the actual hardware.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
ya, i'm a little scared, what about flashing the GTX bios? That should feed 1.4, i'm sure it doesn't work though.

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Originally posted by: SpeedZealot369
You just need to connect them by drawing the lines shown in the picture with a conductive pen.

Are there any programs that could do this? I mean I don't wanna screw around with the actual hardware.

Not sure if BIOS flashes actually deliever 1.4v to the GPU. Also it's not really dangerous since you're not actually messing with the hardware (no soldering, etc.) and if it doesn't work you can always remove it with some acetone/alcohol . . .

samusaraniv

Mar 12, 2006
So will a software update allow the voltage to be increased to 1.3V? Also, I just talked to a coworker of mine that did surface mount soldering stuff and he said that to remove the resistors as stated in that guide, you would need a magnification utility and be careful not to pull the trace (?). I have minimal experience with soldering stuff.

Does anyone know how hard of a task this would be?

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
Unless you have a 20" fan blowing into it like I have . . . ;)

Ah yes, the good ol' box-fan "mod". :D

I don't have a 7900GT (yet) but I'm very interested in this pen mod. Can you break it down with a better picture and explanation, please? It sounds cool!

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
So will a software update allow the voltage to be increased to 1.3V? Also, I just talked to a coworker of mine that did surface mount soldering stuff and he said that to remove the resistors as stated in that guide, you would need a magnification utility and be careful not to pull the trace (?). I have minimal experience with soldering stuff.

Does anyone know how hard of a task this would be?

You can just use the conductive pen method and not have to solder or remove anything

Kakumba

Mar 13, 2006
according to the Extremesystems forums, this card has OVP issues, so you do have to replace the resistors potentially. you want to do a bit of reading before going ahead with voltmods on this card, but the benefits are indeed great.

Mar 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Kakumba
according to the Extremesystems forums, this card has OVP issues, so you do have to replace the resistors potentially. you want to do a bit of reading before going ahead with voltmods on this card, but the benefits are indeed great.

what would happen if this super oc goes on for the next 7 month?

samusaraniv

Mar 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Kakumba

So how hard would this modification be, do you think? I'm quite interested, but I really don't wanna screw up my card. :\