7900gt ko...x1800xt... which one?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
AOE3, Farcry, SC:Chaos Theory

Doesn't FarCry not allow this as it uses MSAA(from the post I quoted above)??
And Chaos Theory is a weird case isn't it?? Does it actually use FP16 HDR??

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
The fact is, ATi can have very playable frames with HDR+AA, and NV cannot. Thats the bottom line.

With the 512MB XT selling for under $300, why would a 512MB GT worry anyone? Its not like they're going to be close in price.

The choice is pretty easy to me, dont worry about a 512MB card, and get the $225 X1800XT from newegg I linked to. There is not another card out there, for the money that can compare, and thats a fact.

Originally posted by: CaiNaM
What FUD? The products in question exist, the 87.08/87.25 are drivers with great IQ and performance and youcan do HDR+AA (just not HDR+MSAA) on nVIDIA cards.
for starters, your claims of miraculous image quality improvements in the drivers you note above and your refusal to substantiate those claims with shots comparing and screenshots using those drivers to images of previous drivers.

or how about while we all know g7x hardware is incapable of concurrently running fp16hdr & aa, you claim it can in all D3D apps...

Yep, and add that 3dmark is a joke, its games that matter. Why is there no game shots that show this alleged IQ and performance increase? It should be pretty easy to see, since its so "nice".

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
The performance hit is quite large on my 6800GT, if I choose to use HDR+AA (not something I choose to do usually - HDR is still a "gimmick" technology in most games and I'd rather spend the GPU power I have available elsewhwere). I've already said performance wasn't wonderful, performance hit is sizeable doing this, but it is possible. Performance should be relatively better on 7900 than my 6800 GT, and the more shader bound future games become, the more perfromance will pick up (since the cost of performing the SSAA is hidden by the cost of running the shaders).

OpenEXR's origins have no bearing on its support (or lackthereof) for MSAA on current GPu architectures. nVIDIA didn't design FP16 MSAA support into the ROP's of nv4x/G7x, it's that simple.

As for reviewers commenting on this - you can't rely on them to know everything, the best thing to do is experiment for yourself.

I could expect that response from someone who can't run it. At least with any game and effectively. HDR is technology just like a Geforce 7 GPU is technology, its just that one is software and one is hardware. Yet you seem to think it is a gimmick? Ha! the 7 series are a "gimmick" right now if you ask me. Its nice to see that Nvidia had to make yet another revision of the 7900GT for sales. If what you say is true, that the 7900GT 512 is the midrange competitor, then Nvidia just released something to compete with themselves. The 7900GT is not a low end card, it is a mid range just like the 512 version. And it is about time that they do something about the 7900GT, an older ATI card was competeing well with it. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I personally think you're misinformed. I had a 7800GT SLI, so their is my 512 Mb or ram and TWO GPU's that are almost identical to the 7900. The HDR + AA support is the same between the 78's and the 79's. IT CANNOT DO BOTH UNLESS THE GAME CODING ALLOWS IT TO. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR NVIDIA TO USE HDR+AA LIKE ATI USES IT. And as far as your review comments go, they know the internet is going to be reading their stuff, so they do what they can for each card. But they didn't do the HDR+AA on the Nvidia platform for a reason bub;)

dagabs

May 17, 2006
With the 512MB XT selling for under $300, why would a 512MB GT worry anyone? Its not like they're going to be close in price.

7900GT 512MB
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=7900+gt+512mb

1800XT 512MB
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=1800xt+512

Its in Aussie dollars

Now concerning IQ, one of the games that made me put ATI infront for the next purchase is GT-Legends. The road textures include the white lines on the sides, but the white lines blur alot in the distance, even with 8XAF and 2XAA. The only way to fix this was to put Quality and Negative LOD to Allow, but that basically nearly eliminated the 2XAA.
The guys with ATI cards had no problem at all, and the AA anf AF were removing jaggies at the same time sharpning those lines.

Discussion
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=223006

http://forum.rscnet.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=311660&d=1126427194

800XT
http://forum.rscnet.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=311662&d=1126427231

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Im talking about in the US. I dont know any "Aussie" stores, so I dont go comparing their prices. I dont know their "newegg", or the biggest PC shop. You can get a 512MB XT here in the states, for less than a GT 256MB. Which is why I said it wont even be close. I realize its not only the US that matters, but since thats where I live, it is to me.

beggerking

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Ackmed
Im talking about in the US. I dont know any "Aussie" stores, so I dont go comparing their prices. I dont know their "newegg", or the biggest PC shop. You can get a 512MB XT here in the states, for less than a GT 256MB. Which is why I said it wont even be close. I realize its not only the US that matters, but since thats where I live, it is to me.

Then please keep your biased / stereo typed opinion to yourself and stop arguing.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29
AOE3, Farcry, SC:Chaos Theory

Doesn't FarCry not allow this as it uses MSAA(from the post I quoted above)??
And Chaos Theory is a weird case isn't it?? Does it actually use FP16 HDR??

farcry (like most games) will use any AA mode you tell it to, when not in HDR mode, so forcing Supersampling isn't a problem.

Yes, SC:CT DOES use FP16, unless you run it on ATi hardware, where they use a custom shader to emulate HDR - even on R5xx.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
512mb cards may not be useful to you ackmed, but they certainly are to me. nVIDIA's 16xAA combined mode can't be used at 1600x1200 for instance on 256mb cards, notbecause of performance but because of framebuffer storage requirements. That's just one example.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Okay Gstanfor, lets humor you for a minute. If, for some impossible reason your card can do HDR+AA, it wasn't meant to do it. Otherwise Nvidia and all of those who have Nvidia cards would be saying so. Are you telling all of us that all of the review sites, all of the people who have an Nvidia or ATI card are wrong? If we are wrong for arguing with you, then post some pics of Far Cry using HDR+your getto way of AA, performance will not be an issue in a screen shot. We're not wanting a video. Be sure to include something with noticable edges, and a particular HDR shine.

I don't know what Aussie prices are like to here, but that price for both the X1800XT and 7900GT 512 is around what I got my X1900XTX for.

Where is the OP?

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Please read the the preceding posts CaiNaM, the IQ tests in 3dmark are specifically designed to *allow* comparisons to be made...

And while you are at it, maybe you can explain how someone could set up a system so that lighting that is supposed to be present isn't through the controls available in the CP and nHancer? (good luck with that...)

OMG.. you seriously cannot be that stupid, right? "good luck" is hardly needed, just a download of 3dmark 06 (not a 3dm whore so i didn't have it).

the "Light" that miraculously shows on your screenshot (but not the other) is the rotating amber emergency light emitted from the door, and is simply reflected on the tank. it doesn't magically appear in the new beta driver, it's appears on all nv drivers previous to it (i checked on the 7800GS/81.98 whql drivers). it just doesn't show on one screenshot as the light wasn't shining on the tank (was rotated away) at the time the capture was made.

seriously.. you aren't that stupid that you really think it wasn't there before and now it is, are you ? or did you think you could just lie to us about it because we're that stupid that we would believe you? lol.. try again.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: beggerking

Then please keep your biased / stereo typed opinion to yourself and stop arguing.

So you're telling me that you care about the prices in Zimbabwe? No, you care about the prices where you are at. Pretty funny you tell me to keep my bias to myself, thats a good one.

As I said, 521MB GT cards will not be $300 here in the states, since the 256MB GT's are barely below that. I didnt go looking to see if I can find a cheaper 512MB XT where he is at, for all I know, thats the highest, or lowest priced one.

512mb cards may not be useful to you ackmed, but they certainly are to me. nVIDIA's 16xAA combined mode can't be used at 1600x1200 for instance on 256mb cards, notbecause of performance but because of framebuffer storage requirements. That's just one example.

I have two 512MB cards right now.

16x AA isnt playable for me anways, so its a moot point. I dont enjoy slideshows, which is what it would be.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: dagabs
Now concerning IQ, one of the games that made me put ATI infront for the next purchase is GT-Legends. The road textures include the white lines on the sides, but the white lines blur alot in the distance, even with 8XAF and 2XAA. The only way to fix this was to put Quality and Negative LOD to Allow, but that basically nearly eliminated the 2XAA.
The guys with ATI cards had no problem at all, and the AA anf AF were removing jaggies at the same time sharpning those lines.

Discussion
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=223006

http://forum.rscnet.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=311660&d=1126427194

800XT
http://forum.rscnet.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=311662&d=1126427231

Hey thanks for that info. I play GT-Legends also and never knew about that. But I'm glad I got the ATI card.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
farcry (like most games) will use any AA mode you tell it to, when not in HDR mode, so forcing Supersampling isn't a problem.

So you can actually force SSAA in Farcry in HDR mode?? Could you post some screenies of this(an area where you can see the obvious HDR and some AA if you can)??

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Please read the the preceding posts CaiNaM, the IQ tests in 3dmark are specifically designed to *allow* comparisons to be made...

And while you are at it, maybe you can explain how someone could set up a system so that lighting that is supposed to be present isn't through the controls available in the CP and nHancer? (good luck with that...)

OMG.. you seriously cannot be that stupid, right? "good luck" is hardly needed, just a download of 3dmark 06 (not a 3dm whore so i didn't have it).

the "Light" that miraculously shows on your screenshot (but not the other) is the rotating amber emergency light emitted from the door, and is simply reflected on the tank. it doesn't magically appear in the new beta driver, it's appears on all nv drivers previous to it (i checked on the 7800GS/81.98 whql drivers). it just doesn't show on one screenshot as the light wasn't shining on the tank (was rotated away) at the time the capture was made.

seriously.. you aren't that stupid that you really think it wasn't there before and now it is, are you ? or did you think you could just lie to us about it because we're that stupid that we would believe you? lol.. try again.

here you go.. in case i didn't explain very well, using the same driver, one has the light, the other does not. the only difference is the frame the image was captured:

http://www.cet.com/~maniac/pix/3DMark06_light.jpg

http://www.cet.com/~maniac/pix/3DMark06_nolight.jpg

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999

There should be no difference whatsoever if the screenshot was generated using the Image Quality button in 3dmark (perhaps the IQ shots that get generated during a benchmarking run use a different frame. I admit I assumed the guy generated the screenshot correctly). I fail to see what your interest in all this is anyway cainam, since you own an ATi card. It seems to me you are just a sh!t-stirring fanATIc in this thread...

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Originally posted by: 5150Joker
I have a 7800 Go in my laptop and I have these drivers installed as well. Guess what? No IQ improvements at all.

Then you won't have a problem posting up some IQ shots to match mine, will you?

Your experience is atypical of that being reported around the 'net for these drivers (more people than not say IQ is better)...

Well I'd love to but I just returned the laptop today since the 7900 Go GS was just introduced on Dell's website. My new E1705 laptop is in production so now I'll have a 7900 video card to test all your bunk theories out on.

P.S. Show us a single game that shows IQ improvements.

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
There should be no difference whatsoever if the screenshot was generated using the Image Quality button in 3dmark (perhaps the IQ shots that get generated during a benchmarking run use a different frame. I admit I assumed the guy generated the screenshot correctly). I fail to see what your interest in all this is anyway cainam, since you own an ATi card. It seems to me you are just a sh!t-stirring fanATIc in this thread...

how hard is it to comprehend you're comparing 2 different scenes (one the light is directed at the tank, causing it to be illiminated, the other the light is away from the tank, so there is no illumination on the tank)?

my interest? well, it's two-fold. first is the perpetuation of misinformation. people should not be mislead, period.

second, i also run an nvidia card. it's not about supporting either nvidia or ati, but about supporting the facts.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006

So far, the only one I see stirring sh!t in this thread is you.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Gstanfor, if you are saying the truth, please show me a screenshot of HDR plus SSAA in FC or any other D3D game.

Im interested at this, and users of SLi might enjoy the benefit of HDR plus 4xSSAA. (Single card would take a big hit).

Unless this is just a big lie..

dagabs

May 17, 2006
I tried using nHancer with Supersampling 2x2 and 4x4 with HDR with no avail on Oblivion. Oblivion overrides any forced AA applied on either nHancer or Nvidia Controls.

I'll probably try Far Cry later on, but then again I have to install it and patch it.

Oh and about aussie prices, I'm not showing how much it is, just proving here that 1800xt 512mb has same price 7900gt 512mb. So the question if the 7900gt 512mb was in the US at the same price as the 1800xt 512mb, which one would you get?

And there are different bangs_for_your_buck around the world. Example when I bought the ASUS v9999 6800gt 128mb, it was the same price as a vanilla, but in the US it was the same price as a real GT 256mb.

And if you do want to know how much it is in US dollars, google currency conveter.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999

how hard is it to comprehend you're comparing 2 different scenes (one the light is directed at the tank, causing it to be illiminated, the other the light is away from the tank, so there is no illumination on the tank)?

my interest? well, it's two-fold. first is the perpetuation of misinformation. people should not be mislead, period.

second, i also run an nvidia card. it's not about supporting either nvidia or ati, but about supporting the facts.

Who's misleading? I used the IQ tool in 3dmark, without altering the frame it renders by default on any test. It's not my fault the comarison shot wasn't done with the IQ tool, but by some other method. I admit I didn't verify the two images were the same frame at the time.

You'll have to wait awhile for screenshots - some of us have to work to earn a living.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I tried using nHancer with Supersampling 2x2 and 4x4 with HDR with no avail on Oblivion. Oblivion overrides any forced AA applied on either nHancer or Nvidia Controls.

I'll probably try Far Cry later on, but then again I have to install it and patch it.

Maybe it only works in games that were coded for it like Age of Empires 3??? So far I haven't seen any physical evidence of this actually working. I'd love to see it though cause it would be a revelation, even if it was near unplayable.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29

Maybe it only works in games that were coded for it like Age of Empires 3??? So far I haven't seen any physical evidence of this actually working. I'd love to see it though cause it would be a revelation, even if it was near unplayable.

Unless the game was coded to disallow it or the driver disallows it, it should work. SSAA can be applied to any scene, because only brute force is required, unlike MSAA.

Over the next few of hardware generations you will see AA swing away from MSAA back to SSAA. MSAA was a nice hack that has worked reasonably well, but it has too many limitations to stay viable into the future.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
F*** it, I'll do it on my brothers computer. He has a volt-moded 7800GT that's at like 550 on the core and 1300 on the mem. I'll try Far Cry on his rig, if he'll let me install it....

He hates Far Cry.