7900 cards are scarce because it's outselling its ATI competitor by a ratio of 4:1

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_ST

Oct 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Shamrock

You know, there IS a HOT DEALS forum for good deals on video cards....just a quick question though...Why doesnt he have nV cards on there? hmm...

fact of the matter is, 5150 Joker has become Rollo part deux

5150 has been suspiciously silent of late....musta had a briefing with ATI discussing their next forum strats ;)

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: CKXP
Originally posted by: Zstream
Actually ATI is making a nice mobo with the Intel deal. Intel & ATI

Also ATI's yields are very very high vs Nvidia's

Errr yeah read it fools

name calling "fools" is unnessary, also theinquirer? the most reliable source available:roll:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31236
A STRAY WHISPER has it that ATI wants to reserve its X1900 GTO brand for its next generation mainstream product based on RV570/RV560 core.
Another is that one should never trust the whispering grass

Yes, because we all know the article posted by the OP has real hard facts right?

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ST

You know, there IS a HOT DEALS forum for good deals on video cards....just a quick question though...Why doesnt he have nV cards on there? hmm...

5150 has been suspiciously silent of late....musta had a briefing with ATI discussing their next forum strats ;)

See the thing is Joker has more class then you, maybe you should look hard into the mirror and grow up. Look at your own damn sig for god's sake. You people are hypocrites.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Last gen a $160 x800gto could be unlocked and OC to x850xt pe levels, and with a volt mod it would reach over 600mhz, which would be equal or faster than a $300 7800gt. Yet I didnt see masses of enthusiasts claiming it was as good as the 7800gt - in fact I remember the 7800gt being touted as the best card for the money

There are a couple of problems with your memory though. First is that a rather large percentage of GTOs did NOT unlock- when we started seeing the ~100% unlockable GTO2 then people were reccomending it overwhelmingly. Also, faster then a GT? Maybe it was on aitownzjoo.com but not in the real world.

Depends which game you pick. And that was just a stock x850xt pe.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: munky
Last gen a $160 x800gto could be unlocked and OC to x850xt pe levels

Wasn't that the goal for an unlocked and o/c'd GTO? A stock X850XTPE? Did everybody reach 600MHz on their o/c? What were the stock clocks on the X850XTPE? Wasn't it 540/1180? You can show a few choice games (being liberal here) where the unlocked GTO/X850XTPE edges out a 7800GT, but then I could show you all the rest of the games where 7800GT pounds it into the pavement. You are talking two different classes of gaming cards here. For the price, and if unlockable, the GTO was an incredible deal, no doubt. And people got their money's worth out of them. So, I really don't see how you can compare a 7800GT with a X850XTPE/unlocked GTO, ever.

And the FEAR bench you just linked to. Isn't that dated before improved drivers were released for improved FEAR performance on Nvidia?

I mean, here is one from October. You'll notice that the 7800GT falls between X1800XL and X1800XT performance. Linky And this is 4xAA/8xAF without Soft Shadows. If you click to go to the next page when soft shadows are enabled, the 7800GT actually pulls ahead of the X1800XT at 1024x768 and above. Would you say an unlocked GTO o/c'd or an X850XTPE is faster than a X1800XT? I certainly hope not.

imported_Crusader

Feb 12, 2006
Originally posted by: akugami
Crusader, I don't get worked up in a forum. I do get irritated by stupidity but I never ever go frothing at the mouth when trying to patiently explain something a 10 year old should understand to the stupid.

I'm not the one trying to prove a point with opinion. I asked you for facts. I broke it down so that even a 10 year old should understand it. So again, what you state is all opinion backed up by zero facts. Seriously, back it up. I'm not saying that I believe the ATI cards outsell the nVidia cards overall. However, nowhere is there data to say conclusively one way or the other. That has always been my argument. If you have proof then show it.

I don't know if the 6x00 series outsold the X800's From all accounts both sold nearly equally well. If you have proof showing otherwise then produce it.The X1800 can't have outsold the 7800's due to the 7800's being out on the market for 6+ months longer than it. I think the 7900's have outsold the X1900's but again, this is just conjecture. I do not have facts to back this up and neither do you. If you have proof then show it. If not all it is is just opinion and not fact. (Is anyone seeing a pattern here from the bold print?) I will never make claims of what card outsold what card because to my knowledge no such data exhist in the public sector.

Again, why do I have to produce proof that would show you wrong when such proof does not exhist in the public sector? I am saying that no such proof exhists in the public sector that will prove me right, but again it is the very same proof that will prove you wrong. If it does not exhist publicly how do I produce it? If it does not exhist publicly which you insist it does, then produce it and prove me wrong. Is that too hard to understand? I'm not sure how I can make what I'm saying clearer than that. You're the one who is arguing around circles. Done with this particular argument unless you can come up with something other than evasion. Much like all your other arguments it's full of hot air and you can't prove jack.

EDIT: Fixed some formatting and added the below.

Someone like Ronin, who works in the games industry doesn't even have exact sales numbers. I doubt someone like you would have them. I've searched a good while on and off over the net and the only thing I have come up with is a vague percentage breakdown but even then it's very vague because they don't breakdown the numbers between low end and high end. But if you want to bet, meet me over a gambling table. I don't bet over the internet because it doesn't interest me. The games I play are Pai Gow Tiles and Texas Holdem.

And in response to you I said that I am so sure that I am correct in these 3 "assumptions" that I'd put money down on it.
Do you really think the X800 series outsold the GF6?
Do you think the X1800 outsold the GF7800s???
Do you think the X1900 is outselling the GF7900??

If you dont have the cash.. or MUCH more likely, you are a man who doesnt stick to his word in a simple wager then I understand why you wouldnt want lay your money down where your mouth is.
I dont mind paying up if I'm proven wrong.

Thing is, we both know I'm right, which is also why you wont put your money where your mouth is.
It stops at words for akugami.

At least in poker you have a chance at winning, you are pretty much screwed in this situation though and we both know it.

If you are so sure that definitive proof is necessary to believe my point then, in time, proof will come out eventually on sales numbers. As stated previously, another member here has found that the Valve survey is a great example of whats happening in the overall market.

I'm sorry if you do not accept this. But as of now, its the best tool we have at seeing market saturation. Period.

ROFL.. 5150=a bad rollo.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Nor you Mr roaming advertisement. Anand should charge you rent for the advertisements .

What is better?

1. Someone showing a list of good deals for video cards
2. Someone showing Shamrock's Pot O' Gold?

Stupidity 4TW!

Shamrock's Pot O Gold of course ;)

Because no nVidia cards interest me this generation hence I won't have any in my sig. Speaking of my sig, it needs some updating since X1800XT prices fell even lower. Oh btw, I doubt Anandtech minds me linking to Newegg in my sig since it's one of their sponsors.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

It's called having a life outside the forums, you should try it sometime.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: munky
Last gen a $160 x800gto could be unlocked and OC to x850xt pe levels

Wasn't that the goal for an unlocked and o/c'd GTO? A stock X850XTPE? Did everybody reach 600MHz on their o/c? What were the stock clocks on the X850XTPE? Wasn't it 540/1180? You can show a few choice games (being liberal here) where the unlocked GTO/X850XTPE edges out a 7800GT, but then I could show you all the rest of the games where 7800GT pounds it into the pavement. You are talking two different classes of gaming cards here. For the price, and if unlockable, the GTO was an incredible deal, no doubt. And people got their money's worth out of them. So, I really don't see how you can compare a 7800GT with a X850XTPE/unlocked GTO, ever.

And the FEAR bench you just linked to. Isn't that dated before improved drivers were released for improved FEAR performance on Nvidia?

I mean, here is one from October. You'll notice that the 7800GT falls between X1800XL and X1800XT performance. Linky And this is 4xAA/8xAF without Soft Shadows. If you click to go to the next page when soft shadows are enabled, the 7800GT actually pulls ahead of the X1800XT at 1024x768 and above. Would you say an unlocked GTO o/c'd or an X850XTPE is faster than a X1800XT? I certainly hope not.

None of those cards were volt modded. My gto reached 580mhz on stock voltage, it would have definitely broke 600mhz with a voltmod. In fact, volt modding a gto was even easier than a 7900gt, because it could be done using only a pencil. That's not to say a stock x850xt pe is faster than a 7800gt, but likewise a 7900gt will never be as fast as a x1900xt unless you voltmod it, and even then it will still fall behind in games like Oblivion. If volt modding was never mentioned before on these boards as a standard procedure in OCing a card, then why is it all of a sudden so popular now?

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

See the thing is Joker has more class then you, maybe you should look hard into the mirror and grow up. Lom sure they'd like to stick nV cards in their sig, it's just thatok at your own damn sig for god's sake. You people are hypocrites.

I'm sure they'd love to stick nV hot deals in their sig, it's just too bad there are so few of them. :D Now they're stuck with useless crap like, "conductive pen $8..fanatics angry haarrrr" or "shamrocks worthless pot of crock" ;)

imported_ST

Oct 10, 2004
See the thing is Joker has more class then you, maybe you should look hard into the mirror and grow up. Look at your own damn sig for god's sake. You people are hypocrites.

lol, more class hahaha...that's a good one, a new quote for my sig...woot!

as for the sig, ever heard of sarcasm? ;)

imported_ST

Oct 10, 2004
Originally posted by: 5150Joker

judging by your post counts, i think some of us already do compared to others...unless you're mixing business with pleasure, ahemm... ;)

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

judging by your post counts, i think some of us already do compared to others...unless you're mixing business with pleasure, ahemm... ;)

I've been registered here for over ~4 years so lets total my post/day:

2591 posts/~1460 days = ~1.77 posts/day

Oh nos I must live here! :roll:

BTW you might want to re-think your signature here, it can get you banned.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
I'm sure they'd love to stick nV hot deals in their sig, it's just too bad there are so few of them. :D Now they're stuck with useless crap like, "conductive pen $8..fanatics angry haarrrr" or "shamrocks worthless pot of crock" ;)

With the NVIDIA cards selling so well they don't need any help. Besides I'm sure no one else wants to sink so low as to become a viral marketer wannabe like you. You seem to suffer from Rollo envy.

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
well, the thing is, while ati price drops are certainly beneficial to consumers, it's not such a great deal for ati. it just shows there's a bit of desperation to move their inventory (don't kid yourself; neither nvidia or ati drops prices just to be nice to consumers) - an issue nvidia doesn't seem to be having as their prices are stable - meaning they are selling well at current prices.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Another data point is number of reviews on the egg. Look at the popular cards -- there's about a 4 to 1 to 10 to 1 number of reviews for NV high end cards compared to ati cards. Even old X850XT hardware has fewer reviews than 7900GTs which are 1. scarce 2. new.

Granted, this is assuming an even distribution for people inclined to write a review for both ATI and NV customers. I think it's a valid assumtion, given the sample size (amount of business the 'egg does)

I think part of the scarcity is caused by Oblivion. Like me, many people have held off upgrading late last year to see what hardware is required for the game. Once the game hit retail, we all went out and bought stuff. I'd have forked over for a 7900GT if one was available, but wound up with a dirt cheap X850XTPE to tide me over instead.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
marketing is everything, you can sell lumps of sh!t if you market it well enough, and there will be people to buy it.

Anyone remember the original ATI.com web site before ATI owned it?

Artificial Turd Industries (mirror site)

What video cards do I have... not counting PCI and really ancient AGP like that TNT2 or Voodoo 3 in my garage...

GF4 Ti4200 (broken capacitor dangling by one leg)
GF4 Ti4400 (locks up, don't know what issue is)
FX5900XT (works great)
6600GT (works great)
6800GT (works great)
X800GTO (works great)
second X800GTO (works great)
third X800GTO (works great)
fourth X800GTO with 16 pipe BIOS (works great)
X850XT (works great)
7900GT (just ordered today)

See, I'm not in love with any particular brand. I choose the 7900GT for my latest purchase because of supposedly low power draw. It will replace the X850XT in my mATX gaming rig that has an Enermax SFX 270W PSU in it and an overclocked Opteron. That PSU is running on the edge of power delivery because if I add a second HDD or overclock my CPU more, I get problems such as no POST. Those are not problems when using a higher output ATX PSU, but unfortunately my gaming rig uses SFX size PSUs. With the 7900GT I hope to have a bit more headroom in my PSU so that I can clock the CPU back up a bit, or add a second HDD for RAID.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Problem is, there is no ULEASHING the Beast for ATI.. cuz it's theres not much to unleash, and x1900xt just won't hit the price to performance set by a vmoded 79gt.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: inveterate
x1900xt just won't hit the price to performance set by a vmoded 79gt.

I don't see how you could say that when there are XTs at $385, which you can vmod through free software by simply moving a slider. Not to mention features such as HDR+AA... which, I'll admit that I downplayed a lot in the past since it was only used on 1 old game (that, granted, looks fantastic still to this day) and 1 game I don't care anything about... but now that Oblivion supports it, it's a different story. I also figured that HDR+AA would drag performance down so low that it would be an unusable feature. Even with the roughly-coded and power-hungry Oblivion, that's just not true either.

If you plan to play games at higher resolutions, such as 16x12, the 512mb of vram will help quite a bit. The XT is a better buy.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Problem is, there is no ULEASHING the Beast for ATI.. cuz it's theres not much to unleash, and x1900xt just won't hit the price to performance set by a vmoded 79gt.

Sure there is... you just need to use watercooling.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
my 7900gt + pen + vf900 cost total 368 bux. will hit gtx,, x1900 will not do the same for 368.

Actually, mine will, unless you're going to quibble over $9. Haven't received yet but my X1900XT is $377 shipped. I woulda gotten a 7900GT but the wait was 2 months whereas my X1900XT will be here monday according to the tracking number. Nothing against the 7900GT as two of my brothers bought these very same cards and are in the process of volt modding and overclocking them. I just found a great deal on a X1900 that's all. Or likely I'd have a 7900GT by now.