76 Nobel Laureates in Science Endorse Obama!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeGermans
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa

I doubt that this will mean much to many people here, but I think it is something to consider.

No, it's not something to consider, much like endorsements from hollywood celebrities or evangelist preachers mean nothing. Their opinions are worth something when it comes to their field of study. Outside of that area, it means nothing.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that and leave the decisions to the people with IQ's > 130. Thanks.

You just defined elitism.

I like how conservatives make being smart a trait to be ashamed of

The far right realizes that a strongly-held belief discredits all opposing rational thought. Science-based knowledge means something only if backed up by the thousands-of-years-old writings of holy men.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Some of you folks seem to think that because someone is intelligent (which I have no doubt is the case for the nobel laureates) in some scientific field makes them more qualified to have an opinion on who should be the president or hold any pollitical office.

What about if they came out and endorsed someone to be the right starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys. Would that merit consideration because they are so smart? Of course not, they don't really have any more qualification to make that determination than anyone else. The same is true for politics. Just because someone is intelligent does not mean their opinion of who should be president merits more consideration. There are intelligent people of all stripes, and some of them don't have the slighest clue about human interaction. Would you want the "Sheldon" character from Big Bang Theory making decisions for you? No? Why not? He's "smart" right? Of course that's just a silly example from TV, but the point is the same. Just because someone is intelligent does not mean the person is qualified to make decisions on my behalf, and I don't want that person making decisions for me. Nobel laureates or not, their opinion is as relevant as those of the hollywood celebrities.
Your kids are reading about their breakthroughs in their science books yet these scientists aren't to be taken seriously?

They are most certainly to be taken seriously when they talk about whatever their specific field of expertise is. Go back to my example of determining the starting QB for the Cowboys. Would you take these guys opinion of who should start more seriously than the coach, who may not be nearly as smart? Of course not. Their expertise has nothing to do with the subject at hand, a political and ideological choice.

These people got acknowledgments for their contributions in their particular fields, which means they are likely very smart -- but it says absolutely nothing about their ability to determine who should be leading the country. It's like them coming out and saying "fuji apples are the best!". Their opinion means nothing more than that of some miscelaneous idiot, unless they are talking about something that they are experts on.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: shira

I doubt that this will mean much to many people here, but I think it is something to consider.

No, it's not something to consider, much like endorsements from hollywood celebrities or evangelist preachers mean nothing. Their opinions are worth something when it comes to their field of study. Outside of that area, it means nothing.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that and leave the decisions to the people with IQ's > 130. Thanks.

The far right realizes that a strongly-held belief discredits all opposing rational thought. Science-based knowledge means something only if backed up by the thousands-of-years-old writings of holy men.

First, I'm anything but the "far right", and I never said that being smart was something to be ashamed off. Keep spewing that drivel though if it makes you feel better.

Thinking your opinion is more important than that of someone else, and that you are better equipped to make their life decisions for them IS something to be ashamed of. That's called elitism. Being smart / intelligent / educated has nothing to do with being elitist. You can be intelligent/educated/accomplished etc and not be an elitist.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: shira

First, I'm anything but the "far right", and I never said that being smart was something to be ashamed off. Keep spewing that drivel though if it makes you feel better.

Thinking your opinion is more important than that of someone else, and that you are better equipped to make their life decisions for them IS something to be ashamed of. That's called elitism. Being smart / intelligent / educated has nothing to do with being elitist. You can be intelligent/educated/accomplished etc and not be an elitist.

That's not how it's characterized by the far right. Your side has consistently catered to anti-intellectualism and used it to win elections.

I heard Rush just the other day trying to spin all of the conservatives endorsing Obama as something to the effect of "Well, I guess all the smart people are banding together" and trashing anyone who questions Palin as elitist.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
Originally posted by: CycloWizard

I think you've confused intellectualism with education. I know plenty of uneducated people who are much more intellectual than very educated people. And I have arrived at my conclusion that liberals feign intellectualism by reading this forum. Liberals feel that they have a monopoly on truth and good intentions. They take it as far as they can, denouncing anyone who disagrees with them as an ignorant hillbilly... While the conservatives here generally allow for explanations other than their own, the liberals berate anyone who has the audacity to disagree. That's hardly intellectual.

You're splitting hairs here. While intellectualism is obvious a different animal from eduction, intellectualism is not a measurable (i.e. debatable) quantity. it's hardly a leap of logic to claim that education and "intellectualism" are correlated, hence my reference to education. i'll gladly cede to you the point that the many rabid liberals "feel that they have a monopoly on truth and good intentions". however, as Descartes (the poster, not the philosopher) said, rabid conservatives are just as likely to claim sole ownership of patriotism and morality.

I think these people are great scientists. However, I also feel that they trivialize themselves by delving into the world of politics. These are men of great ideas and understanding in the objective realms of science. However, policy is not an objective science. By its very nature, it is subjective to the extent that there is not necessarily a right or wrong answer.

i feel that you trivialize these scientists by assuming that their accomplishments in one field do not indicate a broader ability to analyze policy (which is largely an objective science) and otherwise make informed choices.

in any case, these physicists, chemists, and biologists are hardly the only nobel laureates to endorse obama. if you can't be convinced that opinions of the best people in the "hard sciences" should be somewhat influential, surely this years' nobel laureate on economics holds a reputable opinion - he endorses Obama.

i'm sure we'll both agree, though, that independent research is the best way to make a presidential pick. that's how i've made my decision.

As an aside, as someone who is an academic, I feel that the stories of us losing an intellectual advantage to other nations is vastly overblown, at least in engineering. I had no problem exceeding the performance of classmates from India, China, and eastern Europe, despite the fact that they were here by virtue of being at the top of their classes while I was a relatively mediocre undergrad student at a mediocre school. They have quantity, but the quality of our engineers and scientists is still very high. Sure, if you throw enough darts at the wall, some will hit the bullseye, but by and large we are still comfortably out in front.

i'm sure you don't need me to tell you that anecdotes have no bearing on statistics. we might turn out quality engineers, but many other countries turn out quality engineers, and more of them at that. i think the fear of losing an intellectual advantage to other nations is due to the fact that our culture doesn't encouraging the pursuit of hard sciences as intensely as other countries (think China or India). if we're not currently behind China and India in quality engineer production, the tide is certainly turning.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Some of you folks seem to think that because someone is intelligent (which I have no doubt is the case for the nobel laureates) in some scientific field makes them more qualified to have an opinion on who should be the president or hold any pollitical office.

What about if they came out and endorsed someone to be the right starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys. Would that merit consideration because they are so smart? Of course not, they don't really have any more qualification to make that determination than anyone else. The same is true for politics. Just because someone is intelligent does not mean their opinion of who should be president merits more consideration. There are intelligent people of all stripes, and some of them don't have the slighest clue about human interaction. Would you want the "Sheldon" character from Big Bang Theory making decisions for you? No? Why not? He's "smart" right? Of course that's just a silly example from TV, but the point is the same. Just because someone is intelligent does not mean the person is qualified to make decisions on my behalf, and I don't want that person making decisions for me. Nobel laureates or not, their opinion is as relevant as those of the hollywood celebrities.
Your kids are reading about their breakthroughs in their science books yet these scientists aren't to be taken seriously?

They are most certainly to be taken seriously when they talk about whatever their specific field of expertise is. Go back to my example of determining the starting QB for the Cowboys. Would you take these guys opinion of who should start more seriously than the coach, who may not be nearly as smart? Of course not. Their expertise has nothing to do with the subject at hand, a political and ideological choice.

These people got acknowledgments for their contributions in their particular fields, which means they are likely very smart -- but it says absolutely nothing about their ability to determine who should be leading the country. It's like them coming out and saying "fuji apples are the best!". Their opinion means nothing more than that of some miscelaneous idiot, unless they are talking about something that they are experts on.
I'm not sure why you are still comparing a Football coach to a Nobel winner. It's apples to oranges, the Nobel winner will (in many cases) affect the masses. Masses = 75% of people in the world. Football coach doesn't affect anyone directly aside from entertainment value. Hence, I agree that a football coach's opinion is pretty worthless. Someone who has made significant contributions to technology that I use (e.g. nanotech, computers, genetics) on a daily basis is going to have much more influence whether you like it or not. This endorsement by Nobel winners WILL sway votes a helluva lot more than your football coach. Call it elitist, but I'd be willing to bet you $10 paypal that you are in the minority on your opinion. Create a poll and you'll see.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
ahhaha dumbass hillbillies thinking their opinion is better because these are 'just elitist' NOBEL LAUREATES

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: manowar821
This whole "scientists just want funding" argument is just a bad as the "it's just a theory" argument. Don't make me laugh.

Of course they want funding, because they're stuck within a monetary system. That stifles their ability to help advance technology and sciences, which ACTUALLY HELP PEOPLE.

Also, comparing Nobel Prize winning individuals to celebrities is like comparing apples to monkey droppings. These people actually DESERVE your attention, if only for a minute or two.

So we can expect these signed individuals to offer their scientific minds for free going forward?

THAt would be proof positive they are thinking beyond their own needs. Although I highly doubt thats the case.....

For example. the first signed Alexai Abrikosov I couldnt find.
But number 2....Peter Agre...

Click

Xing Zong and Jidi Liu, of Duke University Chinese Students and Scholar Association (DCSSA), recently had an interview of the winner of the 2003 Nobel Prize in Chemistry Peter Agre, who is now Vice Chancellor for Science and Technology at the Duke University Medical Center about his experiences, his opinions about science.

Now theres a guy getting PAID. Damn right he wants more money in his system. As for #3, Sidney Altman. This guy has a complete grocery list of Universities he has worked for.

Click

But of course, it has NOTHING to do with the money does it. In fact I bet all the undersigned names donated any proceeds from Nobel or other prices right back into scientific research didnt they.......

What the hell are you trying to say here? This is really simple.

1. Scientists need money for research.
2. Scientists endorse a president who is supporting government investments in their research.
3. President gets elected. Scientists start getting money.
4. Scientists work hard and achieve great things in science which help this country and the world at large.
5. Private investors start using some of these great things because they have dollar signs in their eyes and invest more money into it hoping to turn a profit of their own giving the scientists even more money to further advance their research and new research. Such investments also lead to more jobs quite often.
6. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Profit. Profit. Profit.

The only real flaw here is if you give the money to scientists that don't produce crap, but given the track records of these guys I would say it is a secure investment.

I'm saying these scientists, no matter how highly decorated or well regardded, aare NOT backing Obama out of any real desire to do good "for the masses" but are in fact simply voting their interests.

Far too many in this thread think otherwise. Your post in fact supports my claim, these scientists back Obama for money. Same reason anyone backs a candidate.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

2. Scientists endorse a president who is supporting government investments in their research.
4. Scientists work hard and achieve great things in science which help this country and the world at large.
5. Private investors start using some of these great things because they have dollar signs in their eyes and invest more money into it hoping to turn a profit of their own giving the scientists even more money to further advance their research and new research. Such investments also lead to more jobs quite often.

The only real flaw here is if you give the money to scientists that don't produce crap, but given the track records of these guys I would say it is a secure investment.

I'm saying these scientists, no matter how highly decorated or well regardded, aare NOT backing Obama out of any real desire to do good "for the masses" but are in fact simply voting their interests.

Far too many in this thread think otherwise. Your post in fact supports my claim, these scientists back Obama for money. Same reason anyone backs a candidate.

Yes, their special interests...for the people!

Look, I could care less what their selfish reasons are as long as the result of their efforts benefits this country which it has a much greater chance of doing than the vast majority of special interest groups out there.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
not to take away from their intelligence, but I wouldn't trust a bunch of chemists and medics with choosing the leader of the free world. all I really read in their endorsement is "Obama's going to give us the most money."

I'd probably trust them over almost any other randomly selected cross-section of voters, but at the same time, you're probably getting at a bit of truth with your statement. People, including incredibly brilliant scientists, tend to vote in a manner that benefits them the most.

The part of me that likes to play devil's advocate also like to mull over the people in my life who I consider hyperintelligent and whether I would trust them to make political decisions for me and the rest of the country. It's a horrifying thought, as almost all of them are completely insane. :p

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Yes, their special interests...for the people!

Look, I could care less what their selfish reasons are as long as the result of their efforts benefits this country which it has a much greater chance of doing than the vast majority of special interest groups out there.

Look I agree. I'm all for R&D and science.

However, lets not spin this into something its not. Thats what many want to do with thise horseshit "The smartest in the world back Obama!". Well yeah, cause they want a JOB.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
I feel ashamed my response to this news was simply, "Hmmm, interesting", when many here seem so personally invested in its implications. Let me see if I can sum up both sides.

"OMG SCYENCE PEOPLE LOREATES ARE TO BEING INDORSE OBAMA!!!!!!11!!11 I AM INDORSE OBAMA SOS I MUST BE SMRTS LYKE THEM TU ROFL!!!!"
and
"OMG FAGGORTS SCYENCE LOREATES ARE DUMB LOLS!!!1!11!! THAY WANTS MONEYS FOR REESURCH IS ALLS SO THAY R L33TISTS FAGS!!!11!!"

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: davestar
You're splitting hairs here. While intellectualism is obvious a different animal from eduction, intellectualism is not a measurable (i.e. debatable) quantity. it's hardly a leap of logic to claim that education and "intellectualism" are correlated, hence my reference to education. i'll gladly cede to you the point that the many rabid liberals "feel that they have a monopoly on truth and good intentions". however, as Descartes (the poster, not the philosopher) said, rabid conservatives are just as likely to claim sole ownership of patriotism and morality.
Who cares if there is a correlation? Can you even tell me how what I said applies to your previous post?
i feel that you trivialize these scientists by assuming that their accomplishments in one field do not indicate a broader ability to analyze policy (which is largely an objective science) and otherwise make informed choices.

in any case, these physicists, chemists, and biologists are hardly the only nobel laureates to endorse obama. if you can't be convinced that opinions of the best people in the "hard sciences" should be somewhat influential, surely this years' nobel laureate on economics holds a reputable opinion - he endorses Obama.

i'm sure we'll both agree, though, that independent research is the best way to make a presidential pick. that's how i've made my decision.
So, after all that, you're essentially agreeing that their endorsement isn't worth much of anything. If I needed someone to tell me who to vote for, then I probably shouldn't be voting in the first place. But that's exactly what these endorsements are designed to do - give the endorser more votes than he would otherwise have by swaying those without a mind of their own.
i'm sure you don't need me to tell you that anecdotes have no bearing on statistics. we might turn out quality engineers, but many other countries turn out quality engineers, and more of them at that. i think the fear of losing an intellectual advantage to other nations is due to the fact that our culture doesn't encouraging the pursuit of hard sciences as intensely as other countries (think China or India). if we're not currently behind China and India in quality engineer production, the tide is certainly turning.
I'll take my anecdotal experience over your talking points any day, thank you.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It's interesting how some people here who claim to be for funding for scientific research all of a sudden tend to be against technical engineering projects, especially when it comes to large-scale NASA or military engineering projects that encompass dozens of fields. It would be nice if one day you guys could no longer be slaves to your candidate or party.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

they've brought this country down to their level. it's so fucking shameful.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I like how liberals feign intellectualism and charity, all the while eschewing fundamentals of both.

please esplain to my slow-witted self.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Mursilis

Some estimates of Hitler's IQ have it above 130 (Link), and actual U.S. Army testing of various high-level Nazis also suggest 130+ IQs (Link2). Obviously, a person can have a genius level mind and a screwy moral compass. I'm filing these endorsements under "irrelevant".

take Godwin back to your cave of irrelevance, dipshit

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
Who cares if there is a correlation? Can you even tell me how what I said applies to your previous post?

er, shouldn't you know how your reply applies to my post? ;)

look, we both know the question that we're arguing in this situation: are liberals or conservatives more intellectual? i'll gladly agree that the fringe liberals apply little or no intellectual rigor to their views. however, i maintain that the higher average level of education of self-described liberals (as compared to conservatives) is a pretty good indicator that intellectualism is a left-leaning trait. that's why it matters that there's a correlation.

So, after all that, you're essentially agreeing that their endorsement isn't worth much of anything. If I needed someone to tell me who to vote for, then I probably shouldn't be voting in the first place. But that's exactly what these endorsements are designed to do - give the endorser more votes than he would otherwise have by swaying those without a mind of their own.

i assume you mean "endorsee"?

i choose who i choose based on independent research and opinions of those i respect. if 76 nobel laureates (ppl whose opinions i respect) lined up behind mccain, that would give me pause. i would revisit my research. i wouldn't dismiss their opinions out of hand because they don't support my candidate.

but yes, you're right - those endorsements do sway people without minds of their own. however, you're always going to have "people without minds of their own" and i'd rather have those people swayed by nobel laureates rather than Toby Keith or Alec Baldwin.

I'll take my anecdotal experience over your talking points any day, thank you.

talking points? please. i'm an engineer. i saw the same stuff you saw in undergrad. i have anecdotes too. that doesn't change the fact that a middle-class asian family is much more likely to press its children to go into engineering/medicine/etc than is a middle-class american family.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: davestar
er, shouldn't you know how your reply applies to my post? ;)
I do know, but apparently it was a little over your head. At least, that's what I assume since you completely ducked it.
look, we both know the question that we're arguing in this situation: are liberals or conservatives more intellectual? i'll gladly agree that the fringe liberals apply little or no intellectual rigor to their views. however, i maintain that the higher average level of education of self-described liberals (as compared to conservatives) is a pretty good indicator that intellectualism is a left-leaning trait. that's why it matters that there's a correlation.
No one is arguing whether they are more intellectual. I simply stated that liberals feign intellectualism while eschewing it in practice by denigrating those who disagree with them on subjective matters. And I'm still waiting for any evidence that there is a correlation between education and political worldviews.
i assume you mean "endorsee"?
Stop assuming and read what I wrote. If I suggest that people should vote for candidate X, then I am hoping that people without a brain of their own will vote for candidate X, effectively increasing my number of votes. The natural result is that X also gets more votes. Try to keep up.
i choose who i choose based on independent research and opinions of those i respect. if 76 nobel laureates (ppl whose opinions i respect) lined up behind mccain, that would give me pause. i would revisit my research. i wouldn't dismiss their opinions out of hand because they don't support my candidate.

but yes, you're right - those endorsements do sway people without minds of their own. however, you're always going to have "people without minds of their own" and i'd rather have those people swayed by nobel laureates rather than Toby Keith or Alec Baldwin.
I'd rather those people not vote. And you are mistaken if you think I'm voting for McCain.
talking points? please. i'm an engineer. i saw the same stuff you saw in undergrad. i have anecdotes too. that doesn't change the fact that a middle-class asian family is much more likely to press its children to go into engineering/medicine/etc than is a middle-class american family.
The fact that the kid is pressed into it is exactly why we are ahead. People here choose to go into engineering of their own free will. I did it because I'm one of the biggest dorks in the western hemisphere, not because my parents wanted me to do it. My Indian classmates are here because they took a test at the age of 16. That test told them their future, regardless of their personal drive or motivation.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
The fact that the kid is pressed into it is exactly why we are ahead. People here choose to go into engineering of their own free will. I did it because I'm one of the biggest dorks in the western hemisphere, not because my parents wanted me to do it. My Indian classmates are here because they took a test at the age of 16. That test told them their future, regardless of their personal drive or motivation.

Wow, way to generalize.

Did you interview all these classmates of yours personally?

Do you think these classmates' motivations are representative of all engineers in India?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: nixium
Wow, way to generalize.

Did you interview all these classmates of yours personally?
Yes. I hung out with them on a regular basis. I have since graduated, so not recently.
Do you think these classmates' motivations are representative of all engineers in India?
No. However, they are representative of a great many.