76 Nobel Laureates in Science Endorse Obama!

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
link

Now, this is no group of sycophants, these are some of the greatest minds of our nation, so it is really impossible to view this as some sort of partisan blindness. I can?t help but think that the recent ridiculous comments of both McCain and Palin on science have something to to do with the new additions, but to their credit, they limit their statement to science, something they know a little about. For those of you have been asking, I do not know of a single Nobelist in science who has endorsed McCain/Palin.

I doubt that this will mean much to many people here, but I think it is something to consider.

These people have a little more on the ball than the "I read that he is an Arab" kind of people.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I was waiting for something like this to happen. We have a candidate who is one of the most intelligent and pragmatic runners of all time, trying to win the White House after 8 years of close-minded conservatives taking their war on science to new lows.

Apart from the bullsh!t pseudo-science peddlers down in the bible belt, I wouldn't expect anyone even remotely near the scientific field to endorse McCain and the fundie nut psycho he chose as veep.

Go Obama!

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Really makes you wonder about the 'fruit fly' comment that Palin made.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa

I doubt that this will mean much to many people here, but I think it is something to consider.

No, it's not something to consider, much like endorsements from hollywood celebrities or evangelist preachers mean nothing. Their opinions are worth something when it comes to their field of study. Outside of that area, it means nothing.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
PokerGuy

They represent many fields of study. They are generally considered to be some of the brightest people on the planet. That they collectively agree on a subject they have all considered should have some weight.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

No, it's not something to consider, much like endorsements from hollywood celebrities or evangelist preachers mean nothing. Their opinions are worth something when it comes to their field of study. Outside of that area, it means nothing.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that and leave the decisions to the people with IQ's > 130. Thanks.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: SP33Demon

Yeah, keep telling yourself that and leave the decisions to the people with IQ's > 130. Thanks.

You just defined elitism.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001

riiight. so the opinions of 76 nobel laureates, whose combined expertise covers nearly every academic discipline, should be discounted? i take from your comment that you think that unless someone is an expert in *everything*, his political opinion should be ignored? riiight.

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004

I like how conservatives make being smart a trait to be ashamed of

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

You hate them for their intelligence? May as well get a cave next to bin Laden. After all, he endorsed your candidate.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ZeGermans

Exactly. I want my leaders to be better than me. Duh.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I like how liberals feign intellectualism and charity, all the while eschewing fundamentals of both.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
not to take away from their intelligence, but I wouldn't trust a bunch of chemists and medics with choosing the leader of the free world. all I really read in their endorsement is "Obama's going to give us the most money."

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007

Yeah, it reminds me of 4th graders making fun of the smartest guy in the class.
:roll:

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I was wondering if someone would come in here and try to diminish the value of such an endorsement, and it looks like P&N never disappoints.

To suggest that Hollywood opinion somehow equates to a collective opinion of Nobel Laureates says all I think most people need to know.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
I like how liberals feign intellectualism and charity, all the while eschewing fundamentals of both.

conservative rejection of "elitism" is demonstrable. it's practically part of the republican platform. i wonder how you've arrived at your conclusion that liberals feign intellectualism and charity. have you seen studies that show that most college (and beyond) educated people are conservative? do liberals donate to charitable organizations less than their conservative counterparts? for some reason i doubt it, but i'd love to see some empirical evidence to the contrary.

Dec 26, 2007

Look at it this way instead of your hollywood example.

These people are leaders in their field. They want more money for R&D, grants, and other scientific ventures. The fact that so many of them endorse one option says that they believe that person will help them advance their respective fields.

Nations that have great scientific minds, and is a leader in the scientific arena usually are some of the most successful nations. So their endorsement for Obama can infer that they believe he will help fund scientific reasearch.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Some estimates of Hitler's IQ have it above 130 (Link), and actual U.S. Army testing of various high-level Nazis also suggest 130+ IQs (Link2). Obviously, a person can have a genius level mind and a screwy moral compass. I'm filing these endorsements under "irrelevant".

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

Look at it this way instead of your hollywood example.

These people are leaders in their field. They want more money for R&D, grants, and other scientific ventures. The fact that so many of them endorse one option says that they believe that person will help them advance their respective fields.

Nations that have great scientific minds, and is a leader in the scientific arena usually are some of the most successful nations. So their endorsement for Obama can infer that they believe he will help fund scientific reasearch.

...and that is something that all of us should want. No one here likes shitty special interest funding that does little to nothing to help out the majority of this country. However, we all love it when money is spent that really does help advance us and this is a special interest group that can really do a lot to make that happen. They are a special interest group that is "for the people" so to speak. Why some of you are rejecting this idea goes way beyond my understanding especially when considering the number of other shitty special interest groups out there that don't do jack for us.

Think of it this way. If they were endorsing McCain would you guys still have a problem with it and find it irrelevant or can you only see it as an opportunity to go up?

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
not to take away from their intelligence, but I wouldn't trust a bunch of chemists and medics with choosing the leader of the free world. all I really read in their endorsement is "Obama's going to give us the most money."

They're not just any 'bunch of chemists and medics'...

Even if that was their motive, I wouldn't mind more money being spend on the sciences. More discoveries and advancements would be a good thing.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mursilis

Some estimates of Hitler's IQ have it above 130 (Link), and actual U.S. Army testing of various high-level Nazis also suggest 130+ IQs (Link2). Obviously, a person can have a genius level mind and a screwy moral compass. I'm filing these endorsements under "irrelevant".

Wow. We went from Nobel Laureates to Hollywood to the Nazis. I'm speechless and embarrassed.