"7 Watt" Ivy Bridge my arse!

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
What does SDP actually stand for?
TDP = Thermal Dissipate Power does it not?
I tried googling it but got lots of chaff and no results

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Okay, so what do you think the 10W cTDPdown means for the Y series? Save for the Pentium that has that as its base TDP and runs at 1.1GHz base clock w/o turbo. So it should be capable of handling that much (unless HT makes any real difference).

Probably. I didn't give anything other than "it might be" because I am not sure either. Pentium is something they consider lowly in the brand, so cTDPdown 10W for Core may just be chips with Base frequencies between the Pentium and the 13W mode.

On slightly different topic:

When Intel was showing how at lower voltages that 22nm offered big advantages, I think the result are the Y chips. Without the process change, we might have had seen Y series at 1-1.1GHz rather than 1.5GHz Base as they offer now. That is because leakage and limitations of how low you can scale voltage puts a floor on how much you can lower the power.

Rather than seeing 20% reduction in power with 10% reduction in frequency and 10% reduction in voltage, you actually need to lower frequencies more than 10% because leakage dominates in the lower frequencies. So 22nm ENABLES them to make 13W chips with small sacrifices in performance rather than an unacceptable one.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

That was expected (Charlie seizing the moment to rant about xyz) but what is also expected is that much like the Mooly demo fiasco*, within the industry not a single f*ck is going to be given over this "7W IB" situation because regardless whether it is truely 7W or just a matter of accounting hijinks there really is nothing else competing with it at that performance/watt bracket.

* ironically if you google for "Intel Mooly" the search results are all about his faking the ultrabook demo, credibility - hard to gain, easy to lose, even harder to regain :\

I.e. this will all be much ado about nothing in a matter of a few weeks time. yawn.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
At 13w, an i7 is likely to be over twice as fast as an 8w exynos. I'd say Intel did well here.

This whole "8W Exynos" vs "13W i7" bit Anand started has caused people to draw some really bad conclusions.

First of all, if the device can't run both GPU and CPU at max for a sustained period of time (ie, throttles, as well it should, because this is not a normal use case) then its TDP isn't what you get adding the two together. Intel lets its CPUs momentarily go above TDP before it kicks down the boost scaling or throttling (really pretty much the same thing) just the same. That doesn't mean its "real TDP" is higher, and therefore it makes no sense to claim that the Exynos 5250 has an 8W TDP.

Second, people are lumping together CPU + GPU power consumption then using it evaluate perf/W of the CPU alone. Exynos 5250 is being scolded for being allowed to use up to 4W for its GPU without any real consideration of what the perf/W of that part is (Anand's power comparisons don't include a single GPU perf analysis!). I'm sure that if you let the Y series HD4000 use its full turbo frequency it'll take up a big chunk of the power budget leaving little for the CPU, which is why it's not usually possible.

Finally, Intel's parts have been binned, possibly heavily so - I don't know how cherry picked the Exynos part Anand tested is but if he posts the voltage tables you'll get an idea. It has a big swing in voltage levels between bins.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Wow, I actually agree with SA charlie on something.
Yea, intel WOULD have gotten their headlines if they were honest and said 13W instead of 7.

"stretched" would be more accurate since "standard" would imply
a common norm for the whole industry with published specs....

not at all, the vast majority (easily over 90%) of all standards are used only by a single company and are patented such that its actually illegal to use be compatible with them thanks to oppressive IP laws (back in the old day it was legal to reverse engineer and make something compatible; it technically still is as long as the standard is non patented and who is dumb enough to not patent their standard? kinda like how its legal to copy a disk for own use but illegal to break the DRM on it in order to copy it).

Of those a huge portion are "standard" for only a few products with successive versions using their own new standards.

Last edited:

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Yep, he sees his bank account go up every time another fool visits his site.

Yes, I avoid visiting the site.
If you listen to him at all, he wins. (not if you agree with him, just visit his site and read what he has to say)

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
More information > less information. I'm more than happy to sort through the garbage to find the valuable bits.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Yes, I avoid visiting the site.
If you listen to him at all, he wins. (not if you agree with him, just visit his site and read what he has to say)

Wins what? What were we playing again?

Oh, you mean I give him what he wants.

So what?