6th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What names should we use for the race this year?

• Snowmen vs. Yetis

• Ying vs Yang

Results are only viewable after voting.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
No problem theAnimal. These things always seem to happen when I'm out of town too. :)

I switched my linux smp clients from v6.34 to the v7 client and am seeing a boost in production. The v7 client is feeding 8001 and 8004 WUs where as the 6.34 client is grabbing other WUs. I don't have advmethods turned on with either client version. My 2600K is showing step times of ~25-26 sec on the 8001 and 8004 WUs which translates to >50K ppd. When using the 6.34 client, I was getting 30-33K ppd depending on the WU.

Some useful links for others that want to use the beta with editions of Ubuntu newer than 10.4 or 10.10 or whenever they started shipping Python 2.7 instead of 2.6:

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/ticket/669

That enabled me to actually launch the darn GUI.

Also, https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/BetaRelease beta client link...

I landed a 7808 WU that doesn't look to appear to change the PPD of the server I did this on...

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Some useful links for others that want to use the beta with editions of Ubuntu newer than 10.4 or 10.10 or whenever they started shipping Python 2.7 instead of 2.6:

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/ticket/669

That enabled me to actually launch the darn GUI.

Also, https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/BetaRelease beta client link...

I landed a 7808 WU that doesn't look to appear to change the PPD of the server I did this on...

I'm still getting a steady stream of the 8001/8004 WUs.

Check out my stats (ppd) in the last 24 hours:

http://kakaostats.com/usum.php?u=813086

big improvement! :)

FYI, I'm using the cmd line v7 client though I doubt that would make a difference.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
From this thread: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=359712

"I've been pruning a ton of historical data from the Folding Stats... It's really bogging down the server. Basically out of the 540,000 users tracked... Over 500,000 are mostly inactive... So I'm pruning out old historical data which mostly just comprises of just a change in their ranking.

Once I get that table down to a manageable size (currently it's like 19GB of data + 16GB for indexes), I'm planning on exporting all the database info and upgrading to the latest MySQL. Once upgraded I can alter some of these larger tables to use partitions for the indexes and that will also improve performance.

So I hate to say it but performance is going to be a little spotty for the next day or two until I get everything cleaned up and upgraded. But in the end the rewards should be much better response. "

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'm still getting a steady stream of the 8001/8004 WUs.

Check out my stats (ppd) in the last 24 hours:

http://kakaostats.com/usum.php?u=813086

big improvement! :)

FYI, I'm using the cmd line v7 client though I doubt that would make a difference.

I went to Micro Center, came home with a 2600k setup for an out of town friend who will be visiting in a couple days and fired it up w/Ubuntu 11.10 64 and the 7 Beta Client. No switches or anything and it pulled a 10084 with a TPF of ~3 Minutes, ~17k ppd. Bummer, that 50k+ sounds sweet :)

Edit: tpf dropped to about 2 minutes, 30k ppd looks to be the new outcome. Pretty impressive anyway, I think.

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I went to Micro Center, came home with a 2600k setup for an out of town friend who will be visiting in a couple days and fired it up w/Ubuntu 11.10 64 and the 7 Beta Client. No switches or anything and it pulled a 10084 with a TPF of ~3 Minutes, ~17k ppd. Bummer, that 50k+ sounds sweet :)

Edit: tpf dropped to about 2 minutes, 30k ppd looks to be the new outcome. Pretty impressive anyway, I think.

Overclocked? Mine is at 4.4 GHz.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
MarkFW has been very quiet this time around!??!

Get any new hardware for Xmas?

I didn't. :|

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
The site we grab out stats from is still down. I'm starting to get the shakes. I need my stats.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Overclocked? Mine is at 4.4 GHz.

Nope, bone stock. I think - I didn't tell the board to work any magic. I just dropped it into the Asus board with default settings, installed Ubuntu, FAH 7 beta client and let it go. I think I went from emptying out the old stuff and had it running maybe an hour later.

When I checked it later last night it had gotten done to two minutes flat on the TPF on a 7xxxx project for ~33k ppd. :awe:

Compared to how many other CPUs I am throwing at SMP right now that is pretty impressive IMHO.

Of course, I may have brought a 1090t home for me once the 2600k gets claimed :D

The site we grab out stats from is still down. I'm starting to get the shakes. I need my stats.

This. I did use that other stat site (kakao?) last night just to get my fix :p

"I have successfully pruned down the bloated table from like 35GB to 24GB.... It's still going though... Currently at 98192 of 518057..." <-- Jason, Extreme OC Administrator

Wow. That was @ 6 PM last night.

Last edited:

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
How is the v7 client in ubuntu? Can it handle gpu's nicely via the client as well?
I have 3 boxes in the smp client and using the gpu work around. Wouldn't mind giving the v7 client a try if it is simple to get going. Don't want to waste too much time messing around with it.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
How is the v7 client in ubuntu? Can it handle gpu's nicely via the client as well?
I have 3 boxes in the smp client and using the gpu work around. Wouldn't mind giving the v7 client a try if it is simple to get going. Don't want to waste too much time messing around with it.

It was incredibly simple to setup and has the same GUI/unified interface as the Windows client. Built in ppd calculator! Huzzah! Maybe its the windows admin in me, but I like being able to double click and let it install versus the command line - even though I appreciate the warm nerdy feeling that goes along with typing away. Realistically though, you either script that or copy paste it eventually just for consistency sake...

That said, I have only used it for SMP.

Also note my post above about Python and the work around to get the GUI to launch.

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005

The linux v7 client doesn't support gpus. :(

To set it up, I downloaded and extracted the contents of https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-r...ent-7.1.38-Ubuntu-10.10-64bit-release.tar.bz2 into my home directory. I renamed the folder to fah7. I edited the sample-config.xml file to add the appropriate information and then saved it as config.xml

Here's the contents (open gedit and copy below, edit to include your info and save as config.xml in the fah7 folder:

<config>

<!-- User Information -->
<user value="biodoc"/> <!-- Enter your user name here -->
<team value="198"/> <!-- Your team number -->
<passkey value="enter your passkey here"/> <!-- 32 hexadecimal characters if provided -->

<smp value="true"/> <!-- If true, attempt to autoconfigure SMP -->
<gpu value="false"/> <!-- If true, attempt to autoconfigure GPUs -->

</config>

open a terminal and cd to the fah7 directory and then start the client by typing:

./FAHClient --verbosity=5

EDIT: leave the quotes around user, team, passkey, true, false in the config.xml file.

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005

If you decide to run the v7 client (see above), leave your gpu clients running as is, stop your smp client and restart it with the flag -oneunit (this will finish your current run and then it will stop). Then start the v7 client as posted above.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Well, I got tired of waiting for ExtremeOC to come back up. So i grabbed some numbers from Kakao Stats - not bad, but no ppd-numbers.

Edit:The stats published here before were wrong: I had tranposed two numbers in Neurodog's stats which made the stats inaccurate.
I have therefore removed the table.

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Peter, you may want to check neurodog's numbers again. He's a great cruncher but I think you gave him about 2.5 million more points than he has. ;)

EDIT: Thanks for pulling stats from Kakao!! :) That had to be difficult to merge the stats from two separate sites!! Great job Peter!!! :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Thanks for the stats. With EOC down, I feel lost. My daily check when I get up in the morning has me thrown off.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I never did get the opportunity to try the w7 client on my ubuntu machines. My stove yesterday decided to look like a sparkler when I was preheating the oven to bake some bread. Even with the power off the heating element kept flaring down the coil. It finally stopped when I unplugged the whole thing. Guess I will be purchasing a new stove today.
If I have a repair person out that is $99 for the service call, plus parts, plus installation if it can be fixed. A cheap stove is $400, a decent one is $500. I'd rather apply that $99 to getting a decent stove. I've been wanting to replace this one for the last 8 years and never had an excuse since it functioned.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
:oops: Yesterday I did a mistake in posting the stats :$ .
Therefore I have pulled the numbers.
Here are the current and now, much more accurately proof read numbers:

FAH-HSR-Dec29-2011.JPG

The racers produced more than 79% ofd the TeAm's total production.

Three more days to race!

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Well fellow snowmen, it looks we have to produce more than 0.5 million points per day for the next 3 days to have a chance in this race. o_O

Great crunching all!! Amazing output this year!! :)

brownstone

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2008
Thanks for the stats! I'm finally home and able to tend to my stray folder, unfortunately I don't think I'll have time to turn in a final large unit within the needed time.

Outstanding folding everyone!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
We - the TeAm - have produced more than 51 million points in December - that is an all time high in one month, and December is not over yet!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I had to drop my GPU out of the race, because my PSU is starting to make a loud rattle/buzz when powering it. I'm still running with my CPUs. Guess I'll have to find a new PSU this weekend.