Question 6900XT, where are the reviews? When can we order it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RoyG

Jan 28, 2010
Today is 12/7, supposedly we can order tomorrow. But I have yet to find a review, and can we order tomorrow 6am EST?

AMD has not lifted embargo of reviews yet? Looks like no one cares. But if we can get this card for $1000, it is definitely better than paying $1500 on ebay right?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Unfortunately the power is not double like the price is.

The power(performance)-price relationship in computer chips is a bit like the voltage-power(watts) relationship in computer chips. It isn't linear.

I would laugh a bit if someone graphed it out and found the same power(exponent) relationship in both cases. Sometimes life is funny like that. Really hits you right in the wallet.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
The power(performance)-price relationship in computer chips is a bit like the voltage-power(watts) relationship in computer chips. It isn't linear.

I would laugh a bit if someone graphed it out and found the same power(exponent) relationship in both cases. Sometimes life is funny like that. Really hits you right in the wallet.

Of course, no one expected it to be. But I am extra disappointed it's not even 11% faster than the 6800xt like the increased core count suggests, even with the 6800xt having the 20% pixel shader throughput deficiency vs. the 6900xt.

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It seems the 6900XT and 3090 get the gains you would expect only at high resolutions, higher than 4K. At low resolutions something else limits them, maybe ROPs or CPU/memory. The 3090 gets 20% over the 3080 in VR resolutions, occasionally 30-40% in cases with high SSAA where the 3080 runs out of memory. Maybe the 6900XT is similar.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I just need a 5900X to pair up the 6900XT i have.
I find it ironic im having more issues securing the cpu more so then i did with the GPU's.
But i am patient.... i absolutely refuse to pay any scalper markup on anything.
Id honestly rather just wait it out and move onto the next gen if i need to.
I finally managed to snag a pair! I'm in the same boat though, have managed two 6900XTs, and have yet to get a 5900 or 5950.6900.jpg

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
That Merc is going to be huge if it's similarly sized to my 6800 Merc! No issues maxing out the sliders on the 6800 version.

Good luck on your adventures!
It is huge, overly so. It was going to go into the Corsair Carbide 540 case (which is a rather large chassis) but it was just under an inch too long to fit due to the front mounted radiator which is just a standard rad, not a fatboy style. I wasn't amused. The Red Devil cleared barely.

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
Just saw a 5900x on ebay for a buy me now price of $750.

If you can buy two 6900XTs, surely you can afford to pay a premium to snag a 5900x!:)

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It is huge, overly so. It was going to go into the Corsair Carbide 540 case (which is a rather large chassis) but it was just under an inch too long to fit due to the front mounted radiator which is just a standard rad, not a fatboy style. I wasn't amused. The Red Devil cleared barely.

They're built solid, but pretty dang long!

6800 Merc barely fit in my Corsair 220T. I had to move the AIO's radiator up top, spread the 140mm intake fans, flex the front of the case, but managed to shoehorn it in there....Getting it out would require 3 hands or damaging the case.

6800_220T.jpg

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
The sad thing is it doesn't need to be that long, that last inch is nothing but plastic shroud overhang. So far I've not found a waterblock for it in stock, that's next. Hopefully I'll nab a 5950X by then too.

Considering SLI/Crossfire isn't really a thing anymore and how few people have use cases for the pci-e slots other than the primary, I really wish they would stop with expanding the cards lengthwise. Most people would find a 4-5 slot monster a lot easier to deal with than these footlong'ers

Last edited:

John1780

Feb 28, 2021
Your clocks look like you're running your card at stock settings. The above tests show memory and core overclocking.

Are you trying to overclock or just running stock? 18,500 is what I would see on my 6900xt reference card at stock, even paired with a 5950x with SAM enabled.

18.5k or so is what I got out of the box with my 6900xt, so that checks. With an 'everyday' OC + slight power bump to 330W with MPT I'm sitting at 20k even. Full-on swinging for the fence while nervously eying 100* junction temps puts me around 20.5k, so about even with a non OC'd 3090.

Last edited:

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
18.5k or so is what I got out of the box with my 6900xt, so that checks. With an 'everyday' OC + slight power bump to 330W with MPT I'm sitting at 20k even. Full-on swinging for the fence while nervously eying 100* junction temps puts me around 20.5k, so about even with a non OC'd 3090.

Sounds right in line with what I could do on my ref 6900xt. The strix seems like it'll do 20500+ stable on its hybrid cooler and I have hopes a custom block will bring it to 21k stable.

If you want to see some really eye watering temps, I cranked my power limit to 431W (375+15%) in morepowertool thinking I'd never see anywhere near it.

Until I ran the 3dmark direct dxr raytracing test. Somehow it pegs it, eating up every watt and it drove me to almost 100C junction on the hybrid cooler, which usually sits around 65C junction at max load....

IMG_20210226_154329__01.jpg

I am afraid to see how much power it'll take, it's still down over 100mhz due to power limiting. Maybe when I finally get a custom block.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The sad thing is it doesn't need to be that long, that last inch is nothing but plastic shroud overhang. So far I've not found a waterblock for it in stock, that's next. Hopefully I'll nab a 5950X by then too.

Considering SLI/Crossfire isn't really a thing anymore and how few people have use cases for the pci-e slots other than the primary, I really wish they would stop with expanding the cards lengthwise. Most people would find a 4-5 slot monster a lot easier to deal with than these footlong'ers

There are a few 4 slot cards out there like the Gigabyte Aorus ones, but just as long and I don't think they are necessarily even cooler than smaller ones. On the Nvidia side, the Asus Tuf cards seem to run the coolest and are moderately sized.

John1780

Feb 28, 2021
Sounds right in line with what I could do on my ref 6900xt. The strix seems like it'll do 20500+ stable on its hybrid cooler and I have hopes a custom block will bring it to 21k stable.

If you want to see some really eye watering temps, I cranked my power limit to 431W (375+15%) in morepowertool thinking I'd never see anywhere near it.

Until I ran the 3dmark direct dxr raytracing test. Somehow it pegs it, eating up every watt and it drove me to almost 100C junction on the hybrid cooler, which usually sits around 65C junction at max load....

View attachment 40365

I am afraid to see how much power it'll take, it's still down over 100mhz due to power limiting. Maybe when I finally get a custom block.

Wow...pretty toasty esp. for a hybrid. That thing have 3 8-pin connections? Otherwise, not sure how you got 430W to it using 2 2-pin (~300W) + pcie slot (~75W) connections. My cap is 360W, and only for quick test runs.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Wow...pretty toasty esp. for a hybrid. That thing have 3 8-pin connections? Otherwise, not sure how you got 430W to it using 2 2-pin (~300W) + pcie slot (~75W) connections. My cap is 360W, and only for quick test runs.

Yeah, it's got 3x8 pin. I'm going to have to see how much power it'll take once I get a custom block, but everyone has been so slow for the aib 6000 cards.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
There is a chance.

A very small chance.

I managed to successfully snag a 6900xt off of amd.com this morning.

I have a paypal receipt of payment. The money did go through.

But no receipt from AMD / digital river. No email from amd / digital river. No order number / password.

But if I managed to buy a 6900xt at MSRP I will be shocked and delighted. street merchant bot for the win.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
But no receipt from AMD / digital river. No email from amd / digital river. No order number / password.

digital river is known to screw you over.
They will precharge (which btw is illegal to most credit card companies as they can not charge until its been shipped), and hold and later tell you oops sorry inventory ran out with a big nelson HAHA laugh.

They take about 2 weeks to refund you as well. I had a hugh nightmare trying to get my starwars limited edition TitanX back when it was around.

This is why i will NEVER do business with them, who also does Nvidia direct.
They are seriously the WORST company to buy from.

Here is my grief thread from long ago... seriously... i would not hold your breathe that your order went though if you did not get a confirmation.

about 2 hours after I ordered I received a receipt from shop.amd.com

I think this is my lucky day!

i still would not hold your breathe until you see a tracking number.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
digital river is known to screw you over.
They will precharge (which btw is illegal to most credit card companies as they can not charge until its been shipped), and hold and later tell you oops sorry inventory ran out with a big nelson HAHA laugh.

They take about 2 weeks to refund you as well. I had a hugh nightmare trying to get my starwars limited edition TitanX back when it was around.

This is why i will NEVER do business with them, who also does Nvidia direct.
They are seriously the WORST company to buy from.

Here is my grief thread from long ago... seriously... i would not hold your breathe that your order went though if you did not get a confirmation.

i still would not hold your breathe until you see a tracking number.

I hear you, but what other choice is there?

Hoping over to new egg, and everything rx 6800xt series is a $1000+. Sure, there are lesser ones, but those never go into stock. Why buy a 6800xt for $1000+ when a 6900xt can be had for $999.

Jump over to the rtx 3080s, same deal. Except now in order to get one I have to buy a combo pack that includes some worthless extra item that is unreturnable.

The stock seems way worse over at newegg to.

The EVGA queue moves at snail speed. Few minutes a week if I am lucky.

It feels like all of the options these days are just straight up shit.

As long as I either eventually get a card or my money from digital river it seems like the best of bad options. Two three weeks is crap, but it seems less crap then the alternative.

Last edited: