PovGRide742

Jul 21, 2018
Hello everyone,

I know the 6700K is no longer a new CPU, but for those interested in delidding their i7-6700K or would like pictures for reference, I figured I'd post my results.
Pre-warning... I use 'Conductonaut' and 'Liquid Metal' interchangeably in this thread.

To start off with, I used:
* Rockit 88 Delid/Relid Tool (For delidding and relidding)
* Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (For between CPU die and IHS)
* Permatex Ultra Black RTV Silicone Gasket Maker (For resealing IHS to CPU PCB)
* Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (For between IHS and HSF)

Some relevant system information:
* 6700K at 4.4GHz (1.305V)
* G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3000 (F4-3000C15D-16GVR) at XMP (3000MHz (1.35V))
* Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w/ additional fan (Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 (Same fan that comes with HSF)) in push/pull configuration

This was my first delid and first time playing with Liquid Metal of any brand. I actually never installed the CPU after the first application of Conductonaut because I was paranoid that I used too little / too much or if the area of the inside of the IHS I applied Conductonaut to was near the pins to the upper-right of the die. This is why you see some discoloration on the inside of the IHS (cleaned up the existing Conductonaut the best I could with isopropyl alcohol but Liquid Metal doesn't seem to clean up easy off the IHS. This was also my first time using anything but the pea method for applying thermal grease between the IHS and HSF. I opted for the spread method of the Kryonaut instead of the X (both methods are approved by Thermal Grizzly)... what a PITA.

Pictures of the prepped CPU die:
339nbpy.jpg

Pictures of the prepped IHS (inside) before applying RTV silicone:
mm4jgz.jpg

Pictures of the prepped IHS (outside):
rrsg20.jpg

Comparison of before (left - after a 24-hour stress-test to validate my OC) and after (right - after a 30-minute stress-test):
2h8afbb.jpg

To summarize the above picture (my results seem to fall in line with what most experience (-15 to -20)... so I have no complaints):
CPU: -18
Core #1: -21
Core #2: -19
Core #3: -20
Core #4: -17

The ONLY question I have is... HOW imperative is it that water doesn't touch the Liquid Metal? While applying RTV silicone to the IHS for resealing to the CPU PCB, I accidentally dropped it in the sink. It fell on the top of it first, bounced, and landed inside facing down where the sink contours. SOME water touched the outside edge and even less touched the Conductonaut . I used a napkin to dry the water off the outside edge and dabbed the moisture off the liquid metal where it made contact. I then took the q-tip that had some Conductonaut still on it and quickly went over the area I had applied Conductonaut so that it was even. All visible moisture was removed and the remaining Conductonaut had the same consistency it had before dropping the IHS. However, I read that gallium can oxidize when introduced to moisture (albeit it takes a long time). I'm 99% sure there was no moisture leftover, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Reactions: Headfoot