670 gtx 2gb vs. 4gb

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Simple, I upgraded my computer from 8 gb to 16gb of RAM and it runs significantly faster....

only reason why 16gb was an improvement is becuase your usage obviously exceeded 8gb and window had to swap to virtual memory (aka hard drive). upgrading to 16gb, there is now enough physical memory to avoid swapping, hence the improve performance. otoh - if you never exceeded 8gb, then upgrading to 16gb is moot.

such performance improvement had nothing to do with dynamic memory bandwidth. that bandwidth was never exceeded. with dram. you simply open a program and it stays open. data/information in dram does not constantly change/update.

otoh with video memory bandwidth.

data/information in vram is constantly changing as the game/program progress. basically at every frame. every any movement cause the whole screen to display completely new information to every pixel. now add large monitor 2560x1440 or especially multi monitor. and/or on top of that add large texture/filters.

you can easily see why you want the largest bandwidth you can get.

note: do keep in mind that the gpu must be fast enough to process all these data following though the bandwidth. with top of the line gpu. this should not be a problem.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/vramwidth/width.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=video+card+memory+bandwidth&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

hodgenutts

Jul 26, 2007
you are obviously a die hard green team. i was too. :biggrin:

for single monitor 1920x1080 or less and normal texture/filters. green team all the way.

for larger monitor 2560x1440 and especially multi monitor and large texture/filters. time to seriously consider the red team.

just google 7970 vs 680. when big resolution and big texture come into play. nvidia is about ~15% behind in performance and not to mention ~20% more expensive.

also - 2.5gb is about the most any current game uses (crysis w/ big texture). so the 3gb should suffice.

Lmao I find this comical as I've been using ATI products (oops I mean AMD) since 2007. I just started looking at NVIDIA this month because of a few bad experiences with XFX products this past month.

hodgenutts

Jul 26, 2007
Now just curious if I can grab up that refurbished 460 se for $69 and use it with the 7950 for hybrid physx (or whatever it's called) :p

Pradeepkewl

Dec 17, 2012
i am also interested in buying gtx 670 dc 2 top but it seems that there are stability issues with that card.but most of the issues have been from mid june-july.any recent drivers solved the problem??word on internet is that it's production been stopped but donno if it it is true or not.