670 gtx 2gb vs. 4gb

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by hodgenutts, Dec 28, 2012.

1. hodgenutts

hodgenutts Senior member

Ok is there a difference in perfommance between a 2gb and a 4gb 670 gtx? There is about a $50 dollar difference between the two. I've been looking but can't find any info. Not looking for opinions but actual real comparison. Please help. Much appreciated :)

2. Jaydip

Jaydip Diamond Member

If you game @ 1080P don't bother with 4Gb versions.

3. zCypher

zCypher Diamond Member

Wondering the same thing as I'm shopping for one too. In my case I need 1440p so I'm not sure if 2gb is enough.

If you usually keep your video card for a long time there might be a chance you would benefit from the bigger card in the long run. Could be worth the extra bit of money.

You might get higher resolution screen, games may become more demanding, etc. 2GB seems to be very common / average these days?

4. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

2560*1440 here and 2GB is more than enough in my experience.

5. lavaheadache

lavaheadache Diamond Member

haven't played modded Skyrim have you?

6. UaVaj

UaVaj Golden Member

if you need more vram because you run large resolution with big texture. go amd for the necessary larger bandwidth.

nvidia need some catching up to do in this particular category. even with the 4gb version. you are still limited by the same 192gb/s memory bandwidth.

7. Elfear

Elfear VC&G Moderator
    Super Moderator

+1

ENB mods eat up the vram but it sure makes the game look purty.

8. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

I did. But maybe not some exact community mod you use.

There are no problem with the regular HD textures.

#8 ShintaiDK, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  9. imaheadcase

imaheadcase Diamond Member

Not many do.

10. hodgenutts

hodgenutts Senior member

This is what I don't understand. Please educate me. If I upgrade my pc from 8gb of RAM to 16gb of RAm I can tell it runs faster even though the bus and bandwidth is the same. So why isnt this true with video cards. Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

And i still havent been able to find an actual side by side bench of a 2gb and 4gb 670 to see real results :/

11. Lean L

Lean L Diamond Member

Why would it run faster? If anything it runs slower if you get to 4 sticks of ram and it changes the command rate to 2.

12. hodgenutts

hodgenutts Senior member

Simple, I upgraded my computer from 8 gb to 16gb of RAM and it runs significantly faster....

13. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

It shouldnt, unless you use more than 8GB. However Windows will use memory as cache that could give alittle performance in terms of I/O. Unused memory on a GPU is simply unused.

14. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

First off, realize that RAM makes nothing run "faster". Think of RAM like a gas tank, or a water tank for your house. It won't make the car go faster, or the water come out faster, but it'll make sure it keeps coming out as fast as it can. When you run out, it's not coming out very fast at all, if at all.

Going from 8gb to 16gb will not make it run faster, unless you somehow maxed out your 8gb, or it's placebo. Samething for going from 2gb to 4gb. Unless you saturate all 2gb of your vram, you won't notice the difference.

15. Lean L

Lean L Diamond Member

I feel like this is an example of when the market is dictated by shiny things instead of reason.

As for the original question. The additional 50 dollars may make you an additional $10 upon resale. That's pretty much the only difference. I have a 3GB 7950 and the max usage I've seen was 1.5GB with highest textures on 1920x1200 in sleeping dogs.

#15 Lean L, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  16. Fx1

Fx1 Golden Member

BF3 can max out 2GB of Vram on High setting

17. Lean L

Lean L Diamond Member

I've never seen bf2 use more than 1.3GBs with ultra settings. But then again I don't use AA.

18. rgallant

rgallant Golden Member

if you ever plan on sli get the 4 gb.

19. Qbah

Qbah Diamond Member

I bought the 2GB model first. Then my modded Skyrim laughed at me (needs ~3GB at 1080p with the mods I use). Luckily I could exchange to a 4GB version.

If you plan to play Skyrim with the absolute best IQ mods and settings, get the 4GB model. I guess the next Fallout will be similar? Probably GTA V too?

I would hate to get a card I know would already limit me. Don't know how you feel about such things though, OP :)

20. hodgenutts

hodgenutts Senior member

I don't want to be limited, just didn't know if the 256 bit bus would bottleneck the 4gb, but you answered that Qbah. Thank you. Now I'm just juggling the 4gb 256 bit 670 against a 3gb 384 bit 7950. I know 7950 is better value, but for some reason I'm drawn to 670.

21. lavaheadache

lavaheadache Diamond Member

I guess you and I are a minority....

22. Dark Shroud

Dark Shroud Golden Member

You're looking at the 670 because NVIDIA! Just get a quality 7950 and with a little tweaking between upping the GPU speed and powertune settings you'll have a far better gaming experience while saving some money.

23. hodgenutts

hodgenutts Senior member

Actually I'm not looking at anything because its NVIDIA. I don't stick with one brand or the other. I play Blizzard titles and they work better with NVIDIA.

I know AMD was suppose to have better performance with the BETA drivers, but they don't work on my system. They fail to install. I've had to R.M.A. 2 XFX AMD cards this past month cause they were defective. A 7870 and a 7950.

Never the less I decided to give the "value" card another shot but with a different brand. Just ordered a HIS 7950 iceq x2 about an hour ago because of the cooler having active on the GPU and ram. Crossing my fingers.

And on that note, thanks to everyone for assistance

24. UaVaj

UaVaj Golden Member

you are obviously a die hard green team. i was too. :biggrin:

for single monitor 1920x1080 or less and normal texture/filters. green team all the way.

for larger monitor 2560x1440 and especially multi monitor and large texture/filters. time to seriously consider the red team.

just google 7970 vs 680. when big resolution and big texture come into play. nvidia is about ~15% behind in performance and not to mention ~20% more expensive.

also - 2.5gb is about the most any current game uses (crysis w/ big texture). so the 3gb should suffice.

25. blackened23

blackened23 Diamond Member

I agree with this. The only time where 2GB isn't enough is by using too many mods or going overboard with anti aliasing @ high resolutions (such as 2560x)