Question 5900x or 12700k (or something else?)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ok, been a long time and I'm out of the CPU loop a bit. My current rig is in my signature.

Its time to refresh my core components. I have a 3080 10g in the mail (and presumably it works) so I'd like to pair it with a CPU that is up to the task and has some staying power.

I'll be sticking with my craptastic DDR4 3000 RAM for the time being (DDR5 is too pricey and Im not interested in throwing more money behind RAM for the 5-10% performance it will bring me).

Which of the listed parts makes the most sense? What should I look for in terms of used prices (USD) given the next gen is around the corner?

Given I'm looking to more or less just use the rig for gaming, listening to music, surfing, etc is there something else I should consider? The reason these 12 core processors call to me is I felt like I went too lean on my 6600k which ended up lasting me 6 years, I'd like to overspec a bit on a processor in the event that it's another 6 years before a new PC is on the docket.

Thoughts? Should I just check out another thread around here that's already talking about the same thing?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Time to update your signature system specs.

Are you using the new card now? Is it stable?

BTW, I keep graphite thermal pads for CPU swapping in and out. You could have benefited from one with the 2200g to avoid an extra repasting and cleaning. I use them for my testbench, very quick and clean compared to paste.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
Ok, 5800x3D installed on the B550 Aorus Master, cooled by a piddly Wraith Cooler and some good old Arctic Silver.

Holy cow this thing is fast. I know my CPU is probably choking on its own heat output right now but CPU score/framerates in CPU test doubled + from ~4000 with the 6600K to ~10,000 with the 5800x3d.

Bit of a chore getting everything working together, mobo had an older bios so it was 5800x3D in, cross fingers, q-flash plus didn't work, 5800x3d out, 2200g in, standard bios flash, 2200g out, 5800x3D back in. Oy.

But its crankling now and temps are ~60c with the Wraith Cooler (although clocks regularly drop to 4.1/4.2).

I'm impressed and I don't even have the AIO on there yet.
Have you tested any games? What is the FPS difference between old and new CPU?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Time to update your signature system specs.

Are you using the new card now? Is it stable?

BTW, I keep graphite thermal pads for CPU swapping in and out. You could have benefited from one with the 2200g to avoid an extra repasting and cleaning. I use them for my testbench, very quick and clean compared to paste.

- Its more stable, it doesn't go into a reset loop anymore, but it still wiggs out and gets a funny dithering on the screen then blinks in and out a few times as the graphics driver crashes and resets.

Its not in a place where i would want to keep it or trust it long term. I have the board locked to PCI-E Gen 4, no pi-e power savings, DDU most recent drivers, DDU to old drivers, VGA BIOS is latest revision, etc etc etc.

Of course, 980Ti goes in and all is well, rock solid and no funny stuff.

What's interesting is this B550 board has an additional CPU power plug (so 3 x 4pin CPU plugs). I know that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the 24 pin powering the rest of the board, but it did make me wonder...

I'm throwing one last hail mary to end all hail mary's: I picked up a Corsair 1000rx from Amazon. If I plug it in and problems go away, great. If not, Amazon's extremely liberal return policies just mean someone else gets an open box PSU for cheap later and I know I have to return the GPU, which would hurt my soul.

Edit: And signature line gets updated after I leave this state of flux and settle on a functional system for the time being, even if its with my old 980Ti until I can secure another card.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Have you tested any games? What is the FPS difference between old and new CPU?

-Unfortunately no. Right now I'm trying to resolve an issue with an aftermarket 3080 GPU that is soaking up all my attention. Been hammering 3Dmark hoping I can get the card to a stable place but its just not happening.

I'm sure I'm driving the Mrs and kids crazy: I have 2-3 disassembled systems (grabbing coolers and extra NVME drivers etc) strewn across our shared "hobby space" crowding out all the other projects that are going in tandem.

On the plus side my kids are getting a big kick out of the 3Dmark "stability testing" (Wow building computers means you get to watch fun videos 100 times?!) and their little fingers have been useful fetching the odd case screw that falls into some narrow crevice.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Might be worth a shot to try the GPU on a new OS install before sending it back.

Also, any chance you have MSI afterburner installed and it's trying to load a profile for the 980Ti?

- I tried the GPU in my signature rig first, all kinds of issues everywhere.

Build new PC with B550 board and 5800X3d, did stability testing with 980Ti and everything is solid. Put the 3080 in and bam, unstable, randomly crashing, reboot. This is on a brand spanking new super fresh Windows 10 install. Its *more* stable than it was on the old build, but its nothing to be happy with when 3D mark will go through a 20 minute stress test with 99% stability, then crash out when I launch a browser.

Using a Seasonic GX-1000w. The GX line was specifically made because older TX/FX models of Seasonic PSUs would trip OCP thanks to random pulls from the new gen of video card. Have a Corsair 1000RMx in the mail. If the card still isn't stable with a highly rated Corsair PSU then I just have to accept that its busted.

Luckily the seller accepts returns and pays shipping. I think they probably booted the card into windows, didn't see any issues, and decided to sell it as functional despite it not actually being able to remain stable over 30 minutes.

Also, I really dislike 3rd part OC software and such, so no its definitely not pulling a bad profile from Afterburner or anywhere else.

Reactions: Tlh97 and In2Photos

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ouch, sorry to hear about your problems with that GPU. This is why I avoid used cards with a vengeance, I don't have the patience to root through the whole troubleshooting process.

- I've never had problems before (my 6yo rock solid 980ti was purchased used...) but I do wonder about this current batch of cards manufactured during the pandemic. Probably used a lot of third rate parts to get around supply bottlenecks, meaning cards in general likely have a higher defect rate than ever.

I'm just hoping that the $100 power supply is a dud that cannot handle power spikes and not the $350 GPU at this point, we'll see on Saturday when the new one shows up...

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
K, plugged in Corsair RM1000x to the 3080. I had abandoned all hope and I was right to.

EXACT SAME ISSUE.

Card is a dud folks. So big ole stumbling block on the path to the sweet graphics life. Put in a return request with eBay, mail the card back and get my money in 3 says. Could be worse. Same with Amazon and the Corsair.

Shocked how easy both make it to return items. Go to USPS for eBay or UPS for Amazon, they scan a QR code, take item, you get money back after item is delivered.

The bright side of the story is I have the system assembled now and everything else (Seasonic GX-1000 PSU, NZXT Kraken x73, Gigabyte Aorus Master B550 board, AMD 5800x3D, Corsair 5000d) are solid as a rock.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, that just leaves you hunting for a GPU then. It's a real pita to source things sometimes. I went through maybe a dozen antenna setups trying to find the best option for my 5G gateway. Turns out one of the first ones was the best option. Builds can be the same way though. I rebuilt my last server in three different cases and a couple of different mobos before finding the right mix. A GPU though shouldn't be that bad but, the glut of mining units might play into finding a stable working unit. I had a hard time with finding a good laptop screen as well and went through dozens of sellers trying to find specific models.

Just be persistent and you'll find the right one.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Is the card perhaps not seating properly?

It has been seated, reseated, and re-reseated about three dozen times at this point in two totally separate systems with one being a top to bottom rebuild with a clean windows and driver install.

I even totally understand why it was sold as working and don't hold it against the seller, it boots into windows fine, the problems start after the card has been taxed a bit, whether in the app or on the desktop. I figure the seller's tech (it's a computer shop) probably tested as far as booting into windows and marked the card used but functional.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
@GodisanAtheist I think currently or at least until we see the 13000 series from intel, the current best cpu for gaming is a 5800X3D.

And i think you are like me, a primary gamer, secondary everything else, so a X3D cpu might be the best option.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It has been seated, reseated, and re-reseated about three dozen times at this point in two totally separate systems with one being a top to bottom rebuild with a clean windows and driver install.

I even totally understand why it was sold as working and don't hold it against the seller, it boots into windows fine, the problems start after the card has been taxed a bit, whether in the app or on the desktop. I figure the seller's tech (it's a computer shop) probably tested as far as booting into windows and marked the card used but functional.
Unpopular hot take incoming: You are right back where you started after putting out considerable time, effort, and troubleshooting instead of spending that time gaming. Is it worth it? Is money so tight that you have to get a crazy deal on a used card to afford that level of performance? Only you can answer that.

Mining has seriously shortened the good side of the bathtub curve/cradle to grave of many cards. If I needed a card to last me as long as that 980ti has lasted you, I'd be buying new and skipping a few family pizza nights or something.

Jul 27, 2020
I'd be buying new and skipping a few family pizza nights or something.
That reminds me: My biggest PC purchase was buying 8 (or was it 9, my memory fails me) 8 TB helium sealed WD MyBook drives direct from the WD store, as soon as they launched. I think it was something like $2600. To balance my books, I ate bread and eggs for breakfast and lunch and chicken sandwich for dinner, for two months straight. I think my daily food budget went down to less than $5 a day :D

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Unpopular hot take incoming: You are right back where you started after putting out considerable time, effort, and troubleshooting instead of spending that time gaming. Is it worth it? Is money so tight that you have to get a crazy deal on a used card to afford that level of performance? Only you can answer that.

Mining has seriously shortened the good side of the bathtub curve/cradle to grave of many cards. If I needed a card to last me as long as that 980ti has lasted you, I'd be buying new and skipping a few family pizza nights or something.

-You're not wrong, I can easily afford a brand new top of the line part from either AMD or NV, but to me part of the *fun* is the stress of hunting, finding, and putting together a good deal. Was it frustrating at times? Yes. If I was writing a book, painting a painting, learning a language or pursuing any other hobby would there be stumbling blocks and frustration? Yes, absolutely. If I had bought a new card, could it have been bad out of the box? Sure. Its just part of any hobby to hit roadblocks, I would say an integral part as it exercises our ability to be challenged and overcome.

Sometimes I feel a person doesn't really understand the technical element of a hobby unless they can do it all used. Understanding the true "value" of a thing requires a sort of mastery of knowledge that just isn't there when money can just be thrown at the problem.

That being said, I hear you on skipping a few pizza nights or something as the amortized cost is really not that high. I have expanded my purchase price a bit higher to make sure I don't only scoop up the desperate sellers, and will consider a new card going forward if the prices continue to drop into a more reasonable range for the top end of this gen.

Still have AMD's November launch to go as well, as well has the holiday shopping season to scoop something up at a solid discount.

Anyhow, back to playing Shadowrun Hong Kong on my 980Ti :cool: