5870/5850/5770/5750 stocking status

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

devilchrist

Feb 11, 2008
I decided it was not worth it to pay the extra cash for the immediate benefit.
ordered the XFX from amazon for 266. not sure how long it will take for them to get it back in stock for my order but at least I don't get charged until they ship.

pyro451

Jan 16, 2004
I decided it was not worth it to pay the extra cash for the immediate benefit.
ordered the XFX from amazon for 266. not sure how long it will take for them to get it back in stock for my order but at least I don't get charged until they ship.

I did the same, just to get in line. However, that will not stop me from jumping on a card for $300 if one becomes available. Amazon will allow you to cancel that order up to the time they charge it.

bmurray91

Nov 9, 2009
Well, my open box "5850" came today. I was all excited, opened the box, and took it out only to realize that they had somehow managed to send me an Asus 9600GSO instead. Nice one Newegg.

bmurray91

Nov 9, 2009
No such luck. Their RMA's on open-box products are "refund only." Guess it's back to searching for me.

bmurray91

Nov 9, 2009
That's odd. It says auto-notify when you search "5850," but if you click it says add to cart. Anyways, ordered it, thanks for the update sovapid.

The race is on!!

edit: All gone.

Last edited:

sovapid

Feb 16, 2005
I was reading on another forum that, at least on new egg, the index page is cached and will be out of date for some time on their side. If you go directly to the product page, it will always be right.

Right after I posted, I went back and checked the 5870, one was in stock and I grabbed one of those too.

So far the 5850 is showing as charged, the 5870 still says processing.

Last edited:

gtbuck31

Nov 17, 2009
right now ewiz is showing sapphire 5850 available, the catch is that it's $339. all I can confirm is that it let me add to cart.

has anyone put a 5850 in your cart at amazon while they were on backorder and been notified?

Last edited:

tribunal88

Oct 23, 2007
Dang, why so cheap, lol!

These 5800 series prices are getting out of hand..

Actually just the opposite, they could not be more in hand. It's supply and demand: While the supply is low and the demand is high the resellers can increase their margin, which in this economy they'll take advantage of. I was able to 'buy' a 5870 yesterday from zipzoomfly (I use single-quotes because it's still in a 'processing' state - I'm waiting to see if they actually ship me one) for the 10 minutes they had some in stock and the "Notify Me" button turned into "Purchase", but it cost me $439. That's $40 above MSRP ($60 if you count the $379 from launch), and sellers can charge whatever the market will bear until supply returns.

But it's important to remember that even with low supplies there's a threshold above which the products will not move. In that respect, the consumer still dictates price (hence my comment about still being "in hand"). The market is trying to find that threshold, and it will only be temporary. As soon as the demand is met, either by AMD increasing chip yields or the market becoming saturated with the product, the price will drop as resellers minimize their margins to gain market share.

My guess would be sometime before Christmas. AMD and the card mfgs will want to grab the Christmas market.

Colt4545

Jul 11, 2007
Newegg had some Sapphire 5870s in stock this morning, but they sold out before I could select my shipping option and click Submit.

pyro451

Jan 16, 2004
right now ewiz is showing sapphire 5850 available, the catch is that it's $339. all I can confirm is that it let me add to cart.

has anyone put a 5850 in your cart at amazon while they were on backorder and been notified?

My Amazon order say "Will not arrive before December 25th" in the status. :(

smoothvirus

Jun 7, 2005
My guess would be sometime before Christmas. AMD and the card mfgs will want to grab the Christmas market.

Admittedly, I'm mostly going by my gut here, but I don't see availability of the 5800 series cards getting any better before 2010.

AMD did some interviews claiming that there was a problem getting the GPU's to market but the situation would resolve itself in a few weeks. That did not happen, indeed the situation got even worse. And now we are seeing the stories that the fab problems are not going to be resolved until 1Q 2010.

I don't see the current situation ending before the year is out. Prices are probably going to go up even more as Christmas approaches. I would not be surprised one bit to see retailers selling these cards at the $499 price point by then.

ScorcherDarkly

Aug 7, 2009
Prices are probably going to go up even more as Christmas approaches. I would not be surprised one bit to see retailers selling these cards at the $499 price point by then.

The introduction of the 5970 should keep 5870 prices from creeping up too high. After all, why pay $500 for 1 GPU when $100 more would get you two? Now, if price creep in the 58 series causes price creep in the 59 series, then we're just screwed. However, unless the demand for the 5970 is just way over expectations, I don't think that's going to happen.