System Configuration:
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DDR4 3200
GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5700 XT
VBIOS: 113-1E4112U-O45
Driver: 20.4.1
Monitors: 3x Acer S231HL

One monitor connected with a HDMI cable. Two other monitors connected with passive DVI to display port adapters.

For the initial build, I did not reformat my SSD, just updated drivers. All three monitors worked as expected, I was able to set up an eyefinity group and play Iracing without issue over the weekend. Today, since I'm working from home, I unhooked the HDMI cable from my desktop and plugged it into my work laptop for work today. Then after work, I plugged the HDMI cable back into my desktop, and turned the computer on (My desktop was off all day, so it was never turned on with the HDMI monitor unhooked). When I turned it on, only one (a DVI to DP) monitor worked. The other two screens stayed black. I rebooted, unplugged cables, etc and got all three monitors working again. The only issue is that the monitor with the HDMI cable is stuck in 640x480 resolution. I can swap cables around between my monitors and the one with the HDMI cable is stuck in the low resolution while the others work. Also swapped HDMI cable with no improvement.

So then I thought maybe it was related to not reformatting and starting with a fresh windows install. So I did that and am still having the same issues. I also updated the chipset drivers.
Any ideas? Or anything else I should try?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Did you power cycle the monitor that you used on your laptop?

I do the same thing here at home. I plug my monitor into my work laptop during the work day, then back in my PC for the evening. And I have had times where the monitor seems to get confused as to what mode it should be in. I have had to shut the monitor and PC down before, although that was on my older system, not my new one.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I think possibly, shutting the PC down entirely, and then shutting down the monitors, AND ALSO COMPLETELY UNPLUGGING THEM, let them sit for 30 minutes, and then try plugging them all back in and power on the monitors (first), then the PC.

Nnyan

May 30, 2003
Try switching the HDMI connection to another monitor and see if the problem follows the cable. You don't mention of the monitors are all the same or different makes/models.

dale3guy

Feb 18, 2002
The problem did follow the cable. All of the monitors are the same. I figured out I can use "Custom Resolution Utility" to force the monitor to the correct resolution. So that solved that problem. Now the other issue I'm running into is with Eyefinity. Iracing requires Eyefinity to work with three monitors. If I reboot with Eyefinity enabled, my computer will start with all three monitors stuck in 640x480 resolution and in duplicate/clone mode per the Radeon software. To get out of it, I have to open the Radeon software, disable clone mode, scroll down, and delete the current Eyefinity arrangement, and then my desktop goes back to normal. Then I can use it in normal mode or set up another Eyefinity group. Any ideas? It clearly points to a driver/software issue rather than a hardware issue.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
If you only have that one monitor plugged in, does it still show only as 640x480? And when you say "it did follow the cable", does that mean which ever monitor was plugged into that cable had the issue?

kekean

Jun 6, 2020
Did you find the answer?
I got the same problem same GPU, was working fine then i think ive updated my gpu driver and then it failed. 640*480

DP to the monitor gives correct resolution, hdmi gives bad resolution. thought it was my cable so i hooked my laptop on to it. it was fine.

kekean

Jun 6, 2020
well i made a temp solution by creating a resolution 1080p in the display section of amds radeon software.
when i lowered my main monitor from 1440p to 1080p i could assign my smaller monitor the 1080p resolution.
and reverting my main pack to 1440p kept the 1080p size and locked it from changes.

list of resolution for that monitor was the default 480p and the newly created 1080p
radeon also says its connected with dvi-d instead of hdmi. which my 5700xt has no such ports