50 Years of Failed Climate Change Predictions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
For an "existential" threat the actual actions taken by believers seem extraordinarily modest. Shaming some suburban soccer mom into getting a Prius instead of an SUV and having their country lie about what carbon emission targets they plan on meeting (but never achieve) isn't doing much except for vacuuming some campaign donations from the gullible.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
For an "existential" threat the actual actions taken by believers seem extraordinarily modest. Shaming some suburban soccer mom into getting a Prius instead of an SUV and having their country lie about what carbon emission targets they plan on meeting (but never achieve) isn't doing much except for vacuuming some campaign donations from the gullible.
There's a lot of steps that some people have taken, but for the most part this needs to be a top-down approach. Most of the primary drivers of CO2 emissions are our energy generation, and construction. Somewhere below that are shipping, and somewhere well below that are ordinary citizen activities.

Turning off your A/C and biking to work only gets us so far. I agree that the suburban soccer mom isn't the appropriate target. I disagree about the idea of setting targets that may be difficult to obtain/have the potential to be missed. There's merit in challenging ourselves.

Reactions: pmv

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Well let's have a wealth and compensation tax and do things right

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
when the world starts putting big pressure on China and India to clean their shit up then ill pay attention.
No, when it directly affects you, you'll pay attention. If you're over the age of 40, you'll probably be dead or senile before it becomes severe enough that you'll give a shit.

Reactions: pmv

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
when the world starts putting big pressure on China and India to clean their shit up then ill pay attention.
China is way ahead of us in green technology thanks to conservatives like you holding the US back for the last 4 decades.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

People love to bitch, but I bet everyone here used their AC, drove their cars, etc.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
People love to bitch, but I bet everyone here used their AC, drove their cars, etc.
And some of us spent tens of thousands on efficiency improvements, and are actively trying to improve the environment. What are you doing, aside from blithering on about liberals?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
And some of us spent tens of thousands on efficiency improvements, and are actively trying to improve the environment. What are you doing, aside from blithering on about liberals?

I bought a car that gets 2mpg more, when my AC went I got a new unit that is significantly more efficient. Really, I didn't do much, but I'm also not the one claiming the world will be ruined unless we go Green New Deal stupid about things, like liberals do. If I honestly thought the liberal FUD was true, I'd do more. Actions speak louder than words and most of you would rather repeat party line garbage on the internet than actually do anything that would disrupt your life.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
China is way ahead of us in green technology thanks to conservatives like you holding the US back for the last 4 decades.

wtf dude, they are the top of the list as the worlds worst in polluting this planet. Im all for renewable energy, my spouse and son are employed by the biggest windmill manufacture in the US. i love seeing the trains loaded with blades and nacelles go by and knowing my family help build those.

is this what you call green? lol you fail man.
1568828798414.png

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I bought a car that gets 2mpg more, when my AC went I got a new unit that is significantly more efficient. Really, I didn't do much, but I'm also not the one claiming the world will be ruined unless we go Green New Deal stupid about things, like liberals do. If I honestly thought the liberal FUD was true, I'd do more. Actions speak louder than words and most of you would rather repeat party line garbage on the internet than actually do anything that would disrupt your life.
I'd love to hear which part of the Green New Deal is stupid. You know, in your opinion, without Googling a canned response from your conservative media overlords.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
wtf dude, they are the top of the list as the worlds worst in polluting this planet. Im all for renewable energy, my spouse and son are employed by the biggest windmill manufacture in the US. i love seeing the trains loaded with blades and nacelles go by and knowing my family help build those.

Behold, the green leader!

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

China is the world's leading country in electricity production from renewable energy sources, with over double the generation of the second-ranking country, the United States. By the end of 2018, the country had a total capacity of 728 GW of renewable power, mainly from hydroelectric and wind power. China's renewable energy sector is growing faster than its fossil fuels and nuclear power capacity.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Then you're hedging your bets that things won't be as bad as the science is indicating. Maybe you're right, but if/when you're wrong, don't come back here complaining because scientists didn't do enough to convince people like you that they actually seriously no really not kidding need to do something like yesterday.

When the equatorial zones start hitting 150F and there's no year-round glaciation left in a couple years, I expect to see you back in this thread saying 'maybe there was something about that whole climate crisis thing'.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Then you're hedging your bets that things won't be as bad as the science is indicating. Maybe you're right, but if/when you're wrong, don't come back here complaining because scientists didn't do enough to convince people like you that they actually seriously no really not kidding need to do something like yesterday.

When the equatorial zones start hitting 150F and there's no year-round glaciation left in a couple years, I expect to see you back in this thread saying 'maybe there was something about that whole climate crisis thing'.

So when do you plan to do something serious that will actually help, like basically jettison the poors? Tens of millions here and billions globally that we expend carbon emissions on and basically just sit around and exist like sea sponges. Just liquidate them and save the world from warming.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
There's a lot of steps that some people have taken, but for the most part this needs to be a top-down approach. Most of the primary drivers of CO2 emissions are our energy generation, and construction. Somewhere below that are shipping, and somewhere well below that are ordinary citizen activities.

Turning off your A/C and biking to work only gets us so far. I agree that the suburban soccer mom isn't the appropriate target. I disagree about the idea of setting targets that may be difficult to obtain/have the potential to be missed. There's merit in challenging ourselves.

I’ve said it before but there are no fundamental scientific breakthroughs required to reach carbon neutral.

Everyone is aware of the options for carbon neutral power generation, wind, solar, nuclear, & grid storage. Wind and solar have come down to the point where they are competitive with fossil fuels.

What the denier set still likes to harp on is the misperception that carbon neutral must mean the end of cars, meat, air travel, and international shipping.

For air travel, shipping and places where internal combustion engines are required over battery electric there’s carbon neutral fuels. Bio fuels is one type but both the Navy and industry have demonstrated methods to pull CO2 out of the air and synthesize it into hydrocarbons fuel.

https://www.nrl.navy.mil/news/releases/nrl-seawater-carbon-capture-process-receives-us-patent

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...-dioxide-into-fuels-artificial-photosynthesis

Construction also releases a lot of the worlds CO2. Processing steel and concrete especially. But even here progress has been made.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2019/01/09/boston-metal/amp/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2185217-the-future-with-lower-carbon-concrete/

Heating concrete currently burns a lot of fossil fuels which can be replaced with alternative energy. Processing also releases a lot of CO2 which those companies aim to reduce. Interestingly as concrete cures it’s actually absorbing CO2 and releasing heat.

Even cow farts (actually burps) can be addressed by adding 1% of a type of seaweed to their feed. It cuts down methane production by over 60%.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-eating-seaweed-can-help-cows-to-belch-less-methane

So the doom and gloom coming from @glenn1 and those against doing anything is misplaced.

All though Glenn should be concerned because stopping climate change does require us to take Glenn’s guns (but only his :p )

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It just goes to show, people take climate change too far, it isn't always science any more. I agree we can impact our environment and should take care. But it has become an agenda and in may ways seems to be built more on fear and crystal ball predictions than logic. It is too bad when science gets politicized. The liberals have done that with climate change and now it isn't always truth.

The only agenda being pushed is by dumb asses like the sources you are fond of linking to.

I don't know if its projection that causes you to complain about others when it's the very things you support that are doing the things you claim others are doing or if you really are that stupid.

Next up you'll be showing us studies from petroleum think tanks showing how scientist are taking money from the climate change industry (there is no such industry).

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So when do you plan to do something serious that will actually help, like basically jettison the poors? Tens of millions here and billions globally that we expend carbon emissions on and basically just sit around and exist like sea sponges. Just liquidate them and save the world from warming.

I'm guessing you are asking because you are excited to sign up to help with such a liquidation. Your throat stomping boots are getting dusty right?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I'm going with what history has shown, that the liberals cry wolf about the consequences regularly.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Are you guys really arguing with Slow about climate change? Must be some delicious troll bait!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Are you guys really arguing with Slow about climate change? Must be some delicious troll bait!

Let me give you an example. In the OP, there are a few stories from the 80's saying that the Maldives will be wiped out in 30 years. Now, the people that can't consistently accurately forecast the weather 10 days out are telling us what the weather will cause in 30 years? Guess what. They were wrong. There are may more examples just like it in the OP. Go, explore, see for yourself.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Let me give you an example. In the OP, there are a few stories from the 80's saying that the Maldives will be wiped out in 30 years. Now, the people that can't consistently accurately forecast the weather 10 days out are telling us what the weather will cause in 30 years? Guess what. They were wrong. There are may more examples just like it in the OP. Go, explore, see for yourself.

Thousands of years ago there were 4 elements. Then we found more elements proper. Then we learned atoms were complex things and eventually discovered parts

Atoms were like the solar system but no thats not true and quantum physics came to light. All this shows we can't trust science at all and things are entirely made up no atoms, no warming. Well that's not reality.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Don't have AC, don't have a car. Never had either. So there.

But lifestyleism isn't the point anyway, individual choices won't achieve much.

I don't think it's an existential threat. I do fear that future generations will curse us, though. I can feel their anger and contempt radiating backwards through time.