5 yr. old Texas boy fatally shoots himself with babysitter's gun

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
What on earth is your point?

DUI is a crime. They are arrested after the crime if police catch them. Many people who perpetrate DUI's get away because the cops don't see them. Some end up killing people.

Being negligent with a weapon is a crime. The person is arrested after the crime if police catch them. Many people who perpetrate weapon negligence get away because the cops don't see them. Some end up killing people.

A gun is a weapon. A car is a weapon.

Endangering a child is endangering a child. Whether you put that kid in a car and crash it, or leave a gun out.

You need to do some serious soul searching. It sure looks like you're lieing to yourself about why you want gun laws passed. Because, based on statistics and fact, it isn't because they're super dangerous. There are any number of other things are more dangerous, that cause more injuries, and that cause more deaths.

I think you'll find at the root of it all, you believe guns are unnecessary. Perhaps they even scare you. Both of which aren't gun owners problem.

No one is arrested for negligent use of firearms in the absence of harm caused by the negligence. Almost all people charged with DUI haven't caused any harm. That's the point: Negligent use/storage of firearms - without requiring any related harm - should be treated as a crime. Unfortunately, it isn't.

And this babysitter wasn't charged with negligent use of a firearm. She was charged with endangering/abandonment of a child.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
You should call your state representative and tell them 2 years is too little in a case of negligence that results in the death of a child. What would be appropriate in your opinion? 20 years?

Be prepared for the grieving mothers being charged, it still happens, but when they try to lock them up for 20 years there will be a backlash.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
Holy balls are you are a dumb turd. If you think guns are SOLELY created to kill PEOPLE then you are an extremely dense, sheltered individual.

I can promise you that 99.999% of citizens who legally purchase a gun, do not intend its use to be that of taking a human life.

And as far as your point about driving tests, etc... Here in CT (overall, liberal state) we are allowed to carry on us. I carry. To get my permit to carry and purchase firearms, I had to pass a written test, pass a physical test (shooting accurately at a range with my instructor) and then pass an interview with a CT state trooper about my personal history, etc etc.

Oh but wait, I bet the mother of Adam Lanza did all of the same things. So the issue wasn't that she wasn't a safe user of the firearms she owned..It was she was an idiot and left them all out for her mentally ill son to kill her and others with. So back to my main point in previous posts.. this is NOT a gun problem or concern; it is a people problem. People with guns need to act responsible.

Hey fuckhead before go throwing names around in your nutter inspired rage, look up what expressly means. It's not the same as solely you illiterate.

I don't give a damn about the random statistic you pulled out of your ass. The gun exists as something that fires a pellet into something. It was invented as a way to kill things. I don't care if it's used to break clay pots or whatever. It's dangerous, and people need to respect that danger. If you're a gun owner, you better treat the thing as if it's a jar of sulphuric acid because that's the level of danger inherent in the device.

Bully for you that you passed all these tests. Now let's talk about the damn story. This girl underwent NOTHING of any of these tests from what I hear. Either she got a gun despite all that, or she's using the parent's gun. No matter how she got hold of it, the penalties she's facing are not enough! How come she isn't charged with unsafe storage of firearms, or the fact that she even handled a firearm when (potentially) she legally can't?

Put another way, there would have been NO issues if the bullet had missed the child. Basically, no penalties for the incredibly irresponsible thing she did with leaving a loaded gun around a child. Don't you see anything wrong with that?

You can't just say "it's people" that are the problem without offering any solution to it.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
No one is arrested for negligent use of firearms in the absence of harm caused by the negligence. Almost all people charged with DUI haven't caused any harm. That's the point: Negligent use/storage of firearms - without requiring any related harm - should be treated as a crime. Unfortunately, it isn't.

And this babysitter wasn't charged with negligent use of a firearm. She was charged with endangering/abandonment of a child.

Exactly.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
An open question to the John Rambo types here. Perhaps many of you share the following thought on islamic terrorism - that the moderate muslims are "not doing enough" to monitor the radicals in their midst.

I'm turning that question around to you guys. What solutions have you proposed to stop this sort of thing from happening as often it is? School shootings, accidental shootings, what not. You are the "moderate" gun owners and these shooters are of course the "radicals"

That is of course, assuming that you haven't taken the morally bankrupt position of "acceptable losses" in which case you really should be seeing a psychologist for sociopathy.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
You should call your state representative and tell them 2 years is too little in a case of negligence that results in the death of a child. What would be appropriate in your opinion? 20 years?

Be prepared for the grieving mothers being charged, it still happens, but when they try to lock them up for 20 years there will be a backlash.

Charge the same as a fucking DUI. Or weed possession.

As it stands, this girl can be out in as little as 6 months.

Five years from then she can get to own guns again.

You don't see a problem with that?

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

You still don't get the point. What goes on in the privacy of your home isn't anyone else's business. How in the hell are you going to enforce a law that requires people to lock up and store firearms safely within their own home without 1984 style tactics? Which would be a complete violation of the constitution.

Or is that what you want because its starting to sound like it is.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
For those of you that are too lazy to research or understand Texas law both Intoxication Manslaughter and Endangerment of a Child carry the same penalty of 2 to 20 years and carry the maximum fine of $10,000.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6464578_child-endangerment-laws-texas.html

Punishment

• Endangering a child is a felony under the Texas Penal Code. Punishments range from less than two years in jail for a state jail felony to up to 20 years in prison for a second degree felony, and each carrying a fine up to $10,000. The circumstances present determine which degree of felony an individual is charged with. The punishment may also be modified if the offender makes an agreement to cooperate during the investigation.

http://www.dfwdwi.com/intoxication-manslaughter/

Range of Punishment

Penitentiary: Confinement in the Texas Department of Corrections (TDC) for not less than 2 years to 20 years.
Fine: A fine not to exceed $10,000.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
And felons cannot own firearms so she can never lawfully endanger a child in the same way again.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
You still don't get the point. What goes on in the privacy of your home isn't anyone else's business. How in the hell are you going to enforce a law that requires people to lock up and store firearms safely within their own home without 1984 style tactics? Which would be a complete violation of the constitution.

Or is that what you want because its starting to sound like it is.

You keep changing your so-called "THE point;" I keep making the same points, and I already addressed your "new" point in my earlier posts. Can't you read?

candrtom

Oct 22, 2009

If this is what you really believe, maybe you should consider living in CA. The laws are completely ridiculous here. It's gotten to the point where many police officers are going by the arrest now and let the courts sort it out mentality. There have been so many arrests and prosecutions even in cases where gun owners followed the law that a non-profit was established with the purpose of educating government on its own laws.
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/about-us/

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I have stated this several times that 7 out of 10 people shot with a gun are not criminals.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
There are ways to reduce this kind of tragedy that don't require banning guns.

Its easier for a kid to shoot a gun than it is to use a password protected cell phone.

Is that how the world should be ?

It's easier for a kid to stab himself than to use a password protected cell phone.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
Oh really...

In press releases opposing bills that would have required adults with children to lock up their guns, the NRA said that such laws “would have rendered homeowners defenseless and given criminals a clear advantage in home invasions,” and that they would have the effect of “rendering firearms useless in self-defense situations.”

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...4/colorado-mandatory-storage-defeated-in.aspx

Looks like she did what the NRA wanted, keep the gun close and unlocked.

There's a distinct difference between locking up a gun where the owner would have a tough time getting to it in an emergency and putting it in a place out of the reach of children. But please, keep playing the role of the retard.