5 yr. old Texas boy fatally shoots himself with babysitter's gun

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
She was the poster child of the NRA: scared, lonely white woman buys gun to exercise her 2nd Amendment right and protect herself. At least, that is what was SUPPOSED to happen. Unfortunately, like so many gun owners, she was either too intoxicated or dumb to understand that owning a deadly weapon comes with responsibility. Now a little Texas tot's life has been wiped out. And it's sad knowing there will be no outrage over this because it's Texas.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1493686

Nov 8, 2012
People have died from alcohol intoxication
More people die from automobile accidents/abuse than anything else.

Perhaps we should ban those as well?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
She was the poster child of the NRA: scared, lonely white woman buys gun to exercise her 2nd Amendment right and protect herself. At least, that is what was SUPPOSED to happen. Unfortunately, like so many gun owners, she was either too intoxicated or dumb to understand that owning a deadly weapon comes with responsibility. Now a little Texas tot's life has been wiped out. And it's sad knowing there will be no outrage over this because it's Texas.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1493686

So are you a nut that blames the gun?

She left the gun on the coffee table while asleep.

You think the gun magically jumped up and landed in the kids hands and went off?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
She has been arrested and charged

Melissa Ann Ringhardt, 19, was charged Tuesday in the death of a 5-year-old boy who fatally shot himself with her handgun that she left on a coffee table while she napped, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

gorb

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2011
Isn't she going to be charged with something? It was obviously a terrible accident, but one that could have been easily prevented. She should have kept control of her gun at all times or had it secured. She also shouldn't have been taking a nap. Why hire a babysitter if she's just going to sleep?

Nov 8, 2012
People have died choking on vegetables because they put too many in their mouth at once. I think that is grounds to BAN ALL VEGETABLES. They are contributing to the deaths of THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE!!

WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!!?!?

;)

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
People have died from alcohol intoxication
More people die from automobile accidents/abuse than anything else.

Perhaps we should ban those as well?
I don't think we need to ban them, just ban them for stupid bitches. Check it:

she kept a gun out because she was scared, but made a tragic mistake when she left it on a coffee table while she napped.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
So are you a nut that blames the gun?

She left the gun on the coffee table while asleep.

You think the gun magically jumped up and landed in the kids hands and went off?

You're right, it's hard to believe how this stupid cow ever came to own a gun in the first place?

Oh wait, it's because she believed all the NRA propaganda.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The NRA advocates proper gun safety quite strongly. If she was active in the organization she would not have behaved so carelessly.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
The NRA advocates proper gun safety quite strongly. If she was active in the organization she would not have behaved so carelessly.

With so many gun tragedies occurring almost daily, you would think they would be doing more. Much, much more.

Newsflash to them: it's not working, your double standards are clearly apparent.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
No double standard. Owning a firearm is a right and a grave responsibility. The fact that some people do not honor their responsibility in gun ownership is regrettable. However people are what they are, and this is not the only serious responsibility shirked these days.

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Obviously she was/is a dumb bitch.

So the 2nd Amendment protects the right to own firearms for only smart/responsible people?

If 5% of the population is too irresponsible to own a gun, would the 2nd Amendment still be worth having? 20%? 50%? 90%?

And at what level of irresponsibility in the general population would the NRA acknowledge that gun ownership may be doing more harm than good?

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
People have died choking on vegetables because they put too many in their mouth at once. I think that is grounds to BAN ALL VEGETABLES. They are contributing to the deaths of THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE!!

;)

Cases of choking to death on vegetables are extremely rare and never reported. Deaths due to gun tragedies happen almost daily. Learn the difference before posting.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
So the 2nd Amendment protects the right to own firearms for only smart/responsible people?

If 5% of the population is too irresponsible to own a gun, would the 2nd Amendment still be worth having? 20%? 50%? 90%?

And at what level of irresponsibility in the general population would the NRA acknowledge that gun ownership may be doing more harm than good?

If you are going to put words in my mouth please try to do a better job of it.

I won't argue hypothetical statistics.

Perhaps her parents should have taught her to be more responsible.

As for gun ownership causing more harm than good, I disagree. A firearm allows the weak and old to defend themselves against physically superior aggressors, and allows a people to defend themselves against a tyrannical oppressor.

Last edited:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
She is right to be charged with a felony for this. Owning firearms is a responsibility that should never be taken lightly, and she failed on that on several counts.

LevelSea

Jan 29, 2013
In 2010, there were 606 accidental deaths due to accidental discharge, of which 62 where 14 years old or younger.

Considering the number of guns and gun owners in the US, I wouldn't call it an epidemic, cause for concern, or much less worth a thread. Seems like most gun owners should be commended for their attention to safety.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
In 2010, there were 606 accidental deaths due to accidental discharge, of which 62 where 14 years old or younger.

Considering the number of guns and gun owners in the US, I wouldn't call it an epidemic, cause for concern, or much less worth a thread. Seems like most gun owners should be commended for their attention to safety.

That's actually quite a bit higher than I would have guessed. I would have assumed fewer than 50 per year.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010

;)

Not apples to apples. Guns are designed to kill/injure. Veggies are not.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012

Conservative logic.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Cases of choking to death on vegetables are extremely rare and never reported. Deaths due to gun tragedies happen almost daily. Learn the difference before posting.
Okay, then how about a more appropriate analogy:

• Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning. Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools. Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects). Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.
If you maintain that guns should be banned because of occasional tragedies like this, can you explain why swimming pools shouldn't be banned? They cause far more deaths to children than guns do. Yet, every time there's a gun death, it's national news. Every time a child drowns and dies, it's apparently not newsworthy.

edit, source: http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/water-safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.html

Not apples to apples. Guns are designed to kill/injure. Veggies are not.
Whoa! So something "designed to kill" kills fewer children than something that's designed for the entertainment of children??! There are 270 MILLION guns in the US, and only about 15 million swimming pools, yet the swimming pools - that you will admit aren't designed to kill/injure manage to kill and injure FAR more children than guns??! Your logic is absurd.

Last edited: