Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
The fans obviously don't pull air through the fins and exhaust it into the case as the review says, but other than that, it looks like it needs some drivers.

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
What a useless waste of money. A single GTX 280 will beat it in price, performance, and reliability.

How can you comment on reliability?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: sgrinavi
What a useless waste of money. A single GTX 280 will beat it in price, performance, and reliability.

*anyone* can comment
--it is a Sapphire, isn't it?
:D

anyway, it looks like 2GB DDR3

it is still expected to be $400?

http://neoseeker.com/news/9095...arket-with-a-hd4850x2/

and you can get one in Australia now

http://www.i-tech.com.au/produ...I_2G_ATI_HD4850X2.aspx

Your price: $929.00 inc.GST

how much is that in real money?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

Huh?

It will almost certainly be cheaper than a GTX (if at around $400), perform better (most of the time...IIRC from CF 4850 tests)...and how exactly can you comment on reliability?

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

It's a bit early to draw these conclusions. In theory, this should be like comparing the 4870X2 to the GTX280, just with less difference in performance A person could make an argument for either card if they wanted to.

rjc

Sep 27, 2007
Originally posted by: apoppin
and you can get one in Australia now

http://www.i-tech.com.au/produ...I_2G_ATI_HD4850X2.aspx

Your price: $929.00 inc.GST

how much is that in real money?
That product description is a 4870x2(and is priced like one). Over the last few months the australian dollar has crashed from about US95c down to US65c, so today the card is about US$600.

For australia, if you want to look for cards/prices the best pricing engine is static ice. There is no obvious single store equivalent to newegg in australia which you can go to. Mwave is in australia but their prices arent the most competitive for some reason.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: badnewcastle
*anyone* can comment

Sapphire has poor reliability?

No...I think their products are rather reliable. That is probably what he meant. I had a Sapphire X850XT for a while and then I sold it and its still going strong today.

Anyway...on to my question....
Which would be the better purchase as an upgrade from my GTS 320MB....
HD 4870 1GB @ $300 or HD 4850 X2 @ $400

:roll:

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Cheex
*anyone* can comment

That's a tough one. I'd lean towards the 4870 just for simplicity's sake. My guess that card is, on average, 40% faster than a single 4850, given the extra memory?

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Originally posted by: Cheex

You have a good dilemma there :)

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
The thing is....at this point the CrossFire (whether single or dual cards) is scaling very well with most games. Therefore, that makes the 4850 X2 a very strong candidate at under $400.

Firstly, it has enough memory so that you don't have to worry about VRAM at all and secondly, 4850 CF easily outperforms 4870 and comes damn close to GTX 280 (even beating it a few times). The 4850 X2 should indeed perform very similarly to 4850 CF just as how the 4870 X2 and 4870 CF perform just about equally.

That said....

From a price/performance standpoint, would the 4850 X2 be worth the extra over the 4870?
Oh, and does the GDDR3 vs GDDR5 scenario play a big role in the whole thing??

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Simple: it's Crossfire and is thus inherently less robust than a single card solution like a GTX280.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K

Simple: it's Crossfire and is thus inherently less robust than a single card solution like a GTX280.

We are talking about the same 280 that had such horrible reliablity issues at launch iirc, right? ;)

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

*anyone* can comment

I've never had a problem with Sapphire cards, and I like that pick a game add on they have.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

How is Crossfire less "robust" than a single card solution? I would think a multi-gpu solution would be considered MORE robust, except maybe in those one or two certain exceptions where using a multi-gpu solution actually degrades performance for whatever reason.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: dug777

We are talking about the same 280 that had such horrible reliablity issues at launch iirc, right? ;)
I think we're discussing two different things. You appear to be talking about faulty cards while I'm talking about user experience, specifically games working properly and attaining the expected performance level and user experience level.

Originally posted by: SunnyD

How is Crossfire less "robust" than a single card solution?
Because most of the time it uses AFR which has inherent problems with micro-stutter and input lag, along with the fact that it'll never achieve universal scaling like a single card does.

I would think a multi-gpu solution would be considered MORE robust,
You must be joking.

except maybe in those one or two certain exceptions where using a multi-gpu solution actually degrades performance for whatever reason.
One or two? There are hundreds of games out there (if not thousands) that have no profiles. And what about those games that might scale properly but don't render properly due to multi-GPU issues?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
*anyone* can comment

Sapphire has poor reliability?

No of course not

ANYONE can comment is my sole POINT

Sapphire is easy to take shots at, however - they have an awful $15 rip-off "RMA application" fee

Cheex, perhaps you should get a single 4870 {$270} and then another one ... later on in a fire-sale
- it will beat your proposed 4850x2

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

How is Crossfire less "robust" than a single card solution?
Because most of the time it uses AFR which has inherent problems with micro-stutter and input lag, along with the fact that it'll never achieve universal scaling like a single card does.

LCDs cause this mystical input lag too, however they are the preferred display type these days. Makes me wonder, has this input lag thing been tested on CRTs by anyone credible?

I would think a multi-gpu solution would be considered MORE robust,
You must be joking.

No, I'm not. How is something that provides more resources considered LESS robust?

except maybe in those one or two certain exceptions where using a multi-gpu solution actually degrades performance for whatever reason.
One or two? There are hundreds of games out there (if not thousands) that have no profiles. And what about those games that might scale properly but don't render properly due to multi-GPU issues?
[/quote]

Again, as I said, save for the very FEW exceptions, how many of those profile-less titles actually suffer in raw performance on a multi-gpu solution? I'm not talking about this magical micro-stutter crap or whatnot, I'm talking about frame rate. How many titles function significantly worse as opposed to an apples-to-apples (same single-gpu) comparison? It may be more than one or two, possibly a handful - compared to the numerous titles that benefit from multi-gpu. I'd say that's more robust.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think it will come down to price/performance. If the price is close enough to a single 4870, it will be worth putting up with the occasional Crossfire issue. If there is large price gap without the corresponding increase in performance, it won't sell. Personally, I prefer single GPU solutions for their simplicity. But if presented with a dual-GPU card that isn't that much more than the single card...