4070TI reviews thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

First official performance leak. A perfect opportunity to highlight the fraud pushed by nVidia with DLSS.

Performance looks fantastic, right? Look again, at the smallprint - 4070 is using frame generation.

I said exactly this would happen as soon as DLSS 3.0 was announced. 2560x1440 is a lie given it's actually ~1080p due to legacy DLSS. Since nVidia got away with it, the next step is frame interpolation lies. It's "faster", yo!

Adjusting for frame generation (i.e. halve the 4070's bars), it's actually barely faster than the 3080 in MFS, and slower in Warhammer 40K. All this from a card that will likely cost more.

Customers not seeing the smallprint and/or not understanding DLSS are having systematic fraud perpetuated on them.

Reviews

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Whereas the reality is where let's say company #1 has become too greedy, and the company #2's graphics dept. decided to follow #1 for the reasons unknown.

#2 is conservative. Better to relese small n number of cards at high price and sell them all on release day, than release 2xn units very competitive price, only to have shops and scalpers take all the profits.
AMD makes more money on CPUs. So they will assign as little wafters as possible to gpus.

Reactions: Mopetar

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
#2 is conservative. Better to release small n number of cards at high price and sell them all on release day, than release 2xn units very competitive price, only to have shops and scalpers take all the profits.

That makes sense from an economic perspective, because according to economic theory, the proper price should be very high at first as supply is low and demand is very high. Then prices should gradually come down as demand goes down because people already have bought cards and supply improves.

However, people often dislike that kind of pricing, which is why companies usually don't do it, and accept big shortages early in the lifecycle.

I think that companies have increasingly gotten used to doing things that customers don't like due to very high demand, where they don't actually have to keep customers happy because they sell their product anyway. This will change as supply starts exceeding demand again.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Antec 900, it's actually got quite a bit, albeit a little cluttered internally. 2x 120's up front, 2x pulling out the heat sink, and a 200mm up top.

All the dust i get inside is more of a concern.

You can have 50 fans, and it doesn't mean it going to cool well. That clutter all acts turbulence generators for the air being moved by the fans. You have some good parts in there, it would be worth putting them into a more modern case that will cool better. I had that case 15 years ago, and it was good for its time, but it was never intended to have the type of heat dissipated into that that modern CPU and GPUs are capable of.

But if it work for you without overheating, can't fault you in continuing to use it in regards to generating less waste.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I love me 5.25in bays, old school setups, I still use an optical drive in most atx systems and I've been known to complain that I have to give up a hd cage for a 3 fan card but....you may want something modern in the past 10 years that can handle big gpus.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I know this doesn't matter anymore since you got it installed, but was it not possible to slide in the right end of the card under the HDD bracket first before seating the card in the PCIe slot?
Tried, it wouldn't fit flat, and was too large corner-to-corner to put in sideways and turn. If I had pulled the cooler off the CPU I might have been able to get it in vertically and rotate but I was trying to spend less than like 5 hours on a stupid GPU install.
You can have 50 fans, and it doesn't mean it going to cool well. That clutter all acts turbulence generators for the air being moved by the fans. You have some good parts in there, it would be worth putting them into a more modern case that will cool better. I had that case 15 years ago, and it was good for its time, but it was never intended to have the type of heat dissipated into that that modern CPU and GPUs are capable of.

But if it work for you without overheating, can't fault you in continuing to use it in regards to generating less waste.
Well aware, but it's fine enough for what I need it for (that PC is mostly for netflix, plex, and occasional WoW playing). The 6700k and that mobo in there has been a mule for the last half a decade coated in a quarter inch of dust and I suspect improving airflow won't change much at this point :p

Jul 27, 2020
Well aware, but it's fine enough for what I need it for (that PC is mostly for netflix, plex, and occasional WoW playing). The 6700k and that mobo in there has been a mule for the last half a decade coated in a quarter inch of dust and I suspect improving airflow won't change much at this point :p
A salute to you for keeping the PC working rather than filling up some landfill.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
A salute to you for keeping the PC working rather than filling up some landfill.
The only reason I even got this card was because my gf's 1080 died, figured as long as I was getting one new card at MSRP rather than some hand me down from unknown sources, I may as well get a second one to replace my 1080ti. 1080 to the recyclers, ti to her brother to replace a 970 which was also once mine. I've built every computer I've had since I was like 10 though (486dx baby!) so I basically just transfer parts through the years. Hell the DVD in that one is like 15 years old. It's an hd-dvd if that tells you anything.
To be fair it doesn't look like there is much space after the MB ends, before the HDD cage starts.

What case?
There isn't, it would technically fit (there's a gap between what was a support and the card) but I'm not precious about this ancient thing, and it's steel so it'll hardly fall to pieces tomorrow. Antec 900. Started it's life as a q6600 paired with a nvidia 275? if memory serves.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
I've built every computer I've had since I was like 10 though (486dx baby!)
So around my age. Born 1980 (-ish) ?

My first build was Sempron 2 GHz, that I blew the first day in a matter of hours by trying to OC the Sempron on an AOpen mobo. Went back to the shop with trepidation, lied that it stopped working (because truth would have left me without a mobo and possibly sunk cost). The guy sent back the AOpen for RMA and offered an ASUS mobo if I paid a bit more. I did and I had my first (and only) AMD overclock from 2 to 3 GHz. Left it with my family but mobo degraded due to the higher bus speed within a year and they threw it away.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So around my age. Born 1980 (-ish) ?

My first build was Sempron 2 GHz, that I blew the first day in a matter of hours by trying to OC the Sempron on an AOpen mobo. Went back to the shop with trepidation, lied that it stopped working (because truth would have left me without a mobo and possibly sunk cost). The guy sent back the AOpen for RMA and offered an ASUS mobo if I paid a bit more. I did and I had my first (and only) AMD overclock from 2 to 3 GHz. Left it with my family but mobo degraded due to the higher bus speed within a year and they threw it away.
'83, I have a vague memory of a 450mhz range build, some pre-vertical era AMD CPU after that I roasted 'cuz i fudged the dip switch settings (thanks for no thermal protections!), something in the 750 range, and i think my next build was likely a core-something-something that eventually lead to the q6600, and a slew of i7's following.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I've built every computer I've had since I was like 10 though (486dx baby!) so I basically just transfer parts through the years. Hell the DVD in that one is like 15 years old. It's an hd-dvd if that tells you anything.

My experience is that PC cases have improved a lot, so I would suggest upgrading the case.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I once had an Antec 900, 12+ years ago. I stopped reusing cases with new builds because my time between builds has grown significantly where case technology changes. Looking at those pictures brings back memories. All those disc slots. I built a new machine last weekend and it has a NVME. Cleanest build I have ever had because the cabling requirements have dropped like a rock.

Oh and just to let it rain down on me. After posting in this thread to not buy a 4070ti to bring prices down, I then went out and bought an ASUS OC 4070ti. Yeah just classic. The new build was a really nice upgrade from the 1070 I have had for 6 years. The old build is going to my dad so he can fly in MSFlightsim at 1440p. That 2017 build is surprisingly still robust in 2023.

Reactions: Mopetar

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I think Nvidia is pretty delusional pricing these chips so the cards sell at $800 to $900. The market seems to think so too, as usually a new highish end Nvidia release sells out the first day but there is still very widespread availability of this dumpster fire of a card.

Yeah, poor 4070 ti, the card that can't sell that those prices:

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022

Those figures are for the 2nd week after launch. It's not impressive at all to just barely beat the 3060 sales.

We see this every time where it is somehow seen as significant when the peak sales of a product are not the worst, but they almost never will be. However, sales will only drop more and more over time.

Reactions: psolord

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Those figures are for the 2nd week after launch. It's not impressive at all to just barely beat the 3060 sales.

We see this every time where it is somehow seen as significant when the peak sales of a product are not the worst, but they almost never will be. However, sales will only drop more and more over time.

The previous week the reported cumulative numbers showed the 4070 Ti was nearly already the best cumulative seller (just a bit behind 7900XT) of the new generation cards of AMD and NVidia.

With the surge this week it should now be the best cumulative seller of all the new generation cards despite being the last released.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I once had an Antec 900, 12+ years ago. I stopped reusing cases with new builds because my time between builds has grown significantly where case technology changes. Looking at those pictures brings back memories. All those disc slots. I built a new machine last weekend and it has a NVME. Cleanest build I have ever had because the cabling requirements have dropped like a rock.

Oh and just to let it rain down on me. After posting in this thread to not buy a 4070ti to bring prices down, I then went out and bought an ASUS OC 4070ti. Yeah just classic. The new build was a really nice upgrade from the 1070 I have had for 6 years. The old build is going to my dad so he can fly in MSFlightsim at 1440p. That 2017 build is surprisingly still robust in 2023.

I have a Zalman Z-Machine case (circa 2007) housing my home file server running a Ryzen 9 5950X with 32GB of ECC DDR4. It has lots of room for HDDs, of which there are 2x12TB and 1x10TB in there. Here's a picture from when video cards still fit in it and I was using it as the case for my gaming rig.

20161118 GTX 1080 02.jpg

Reactions: Genx87

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012

Fwiw, cheaper SKUs should sell more in volume because a larger portion of the market can afford them. At some point, even with stagnant perf/$ against Ampere, if you offer a product at a low enough price where it's within people's budget, it will be sold. For this reason, I fully expect a 4060 to have even higher sales numbers, even if it offers the same perf/$ as a 3070 when it first launched, to sell more than the 4070 Ti.