40-inch HDTV for $399

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Well yeah, and I'd give my $3 FM transmitter from China an amazing review too. 6 months (give or take) and it's been running perfect despite a few things. But if I had one that was $25 it would probably be a hell of a lot better. For the price, I suppose it is fine, but I just don't know if someone like ME could settle for a brand like this (because you know it isn't going to come close to a Sony).

if you don't like the "hot deal" listed simply because the original part is not something that you would consider, why did you even bother posting here? Walmart has a well-earned reputation for delivering great value on their products. If you like $2000 40" tv's then go shop somewhere else.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I bought this (the Proscan) a few weeks back when it was on SD.

No complaints about the image quality. I don't think it would work well for the virtual pinball setup though. At extreme angles, the blacks don't stay deep like you'd want for a set up like that. A plasma, even at lower resolution would be a better bet, I'd think.

It does have a clear QAM tuner. I can get my local channels in HD from Comcast through the line w/o a box.

Looks great hooked up to a PC through VGA.

I'm having trouble getting it to work with a DVI -> HDMI converter though. The TV says that its getting a 1920x1080 signal, but displays it at 4:3 smushed in the middle of the screen. Any ideas?

Thanks for the feedback!

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Proscan....that's like Dynex....eh...

I've had a Dynex for a while and I'm happy enough with it for HD content. If you plan on using it for mainly HD TV and HD consoles then it looks pretty solid for the money. The cheap TVs just have really awful SD scalers. For a starter HD set they're a fine brand.

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
I have a Spectre 32 inch 1080p and it has been a great tv for a 1 1/2 years.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
my .02 cents.. had, yes had a 42" prosscan last year when it was $599 at best buy, picture was sharp, sound was awful and it made a loud humming noise when it was off.. took it back. Maybe they fixed that, but for $399.. you cant go wrong.

Rjammmm

Nov 16, 1999
I bought one for my son, he uses it for his Xbox, he loves it! The picture is great, i got a wall mount from monoprice for 25 bucks and it is smooth sailing.....