40-inch HDTV for $399

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
If I can wax nostalgic for a moment, I can remember when finding a 32-inch LCD for $399 was a big, big deal. (Even today I see them selling for that much and more.)
Now Walmart has the 40-inch Proscan 40LD45Q LCD HDTV for $399 shipped (plus sales tax in most states). That's pretty fantastic.
The Proscan is a full 1080p TV with three HDMI inputs, a VGA input (in case you want to pair it with a PC), and a 2,000:1 contrast ratio. It also sports an ATSC tuner in case you prefer free, over-the-air HD broadcasts to pricey cable or satellite.
Obviously Proscan isn't a household name like Sony or Toshiba--in fact, it's the kind you typically see only at a place like Wal-Mart.

However, I think the customer reviews speak volumes. This model currently has 273 of them, with an average of 4.5 stars out of 5. The only complaint you tend to see is with audio quality, but in my experience, all HDTVs have crummy built-in speakers. That's why most folks add a home-theater speaker system or the like.
If memory serves, this is the lowest price I've seen on a 40-inch HDTV. It could be a perfect choice for the den, bedroom, or even living room.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20013422-58.html?tag=nl.e796

Walmart link
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ProScan-40...02013922090224

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
I went thru the SD thread. Reviews are mixed, some QC control there it seems. When you get a good one, very good for price. Some have reported noticeable color banding and pixelation, while others have noticed and dismissed those flaws (didn't bother them)

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
It has pretty much the best reviews of any 40" TV on the site though.

Well yeah, and I'd give my $3 FM transmitter from China an amazing review too. 6 months (give or take) and it's been running perfect despite a few things. But if I had one that was $25 it would probably be a hell of a lot better. For the price, I suppose it is fine, but I just don't know if someone like ME could settle for a brand like this (because you know it isn't going to come close to a Sony).

Last edited by a moderator:

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
I've had one for ~ 1yr and will agree to the uneven backlighting in dark scenes that people have reported. Otherwise it's been fine and the HD channels (via TWC) look nice. It's primary usage is by my 6 yr old who uses it mainly for his Wii and Cartoon Network shows! :)

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Perfect, I need one for adventure time and my wii. This is good then?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
i would buy one for each of my kids bedrooms if they had 3 year warranty. Im kinda weary of 1 year warranty lcd. Few people say had problems with it turning off right away hmm what to do. maybe spend 50$ extra?

MisterE

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2000
42" Sanyo right down the page from there for the same price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sanyo-DP42740/14237674

I've never had much luck with Sanyo products, but 400 bones for a 10" upgrade is tempting.

The Sanyo is a 720p Plasma and not a 1080p LCD, but it does get stellar reviews at Wal Mart's site. One thing it has that the ProScan doesn't is a clear QAM tuner, which is a plus for some. I have Knology expanded basic cable with no cable box, and they include the local network affiliates (and a few other channels) in HD for no additional charge. I could watch them if I had a clear QAM tuner.

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The funny thing is 10 years ago people were still shopping only size / price. Image quality or not as long as it wasn't 'fuzzy' they didn't care.

Now people are spec whores. I was helping someone with a laptop purchase, I recommended a 13-14" i5 machine for frequent traveller on battery most of the time. I got back "well 17 is bigger so must be better" and i7 is higher so must be better.

They are only doing email/web on this.

Kipper717

Jun 17, 2003
killster1
i would buy one for each of my kids bedrooms if they had 3 year warranty. Im kinda weary of 1 year warranty lcd. Few people say had problems with it turning off right away hmm what to do. maybe spend 50$ extra?

Killster1, Just us an Amex card or any other that offers a warrenty extension. It's not three years but two years should be long enough for any major defects to show.

Kipper717

Jun 17, 2003
killster1 said..
"i would buy one for each of my kids bedrooms if they had 3 year warranty. Im kinda weary of 1 year warranty lcd. Few people say had problems with it turning off right away hmm what to do. maybe spend 50$ extra?"

Killster1, Just use an Amex card or any other that offers a warrenty extension. It's not three years but two years should be long enough for any major defects to show.

Sorry for the double post. Can't find the delete button!

Last edited:

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999

$45 for their 3 year warranty. I actually bought the extended warranty on a 23" Poloroid LCD TV that we got for our camper ($19). It just died on us 21 months into the warranty, I called them, they sent a shipping box to me at no charge, packed and sent it to Pennsylvania (I am in Indiana). Less than 10 days (8 or 9, not sure) later it was back, repaired and working perfectly, and has been for the past 8 months. Walmart's extended warranty is a bargain. You could also go with Square Trade, but I am not real familiar with how they are...

Bob

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
$400 LCD tv and Square Trade wants $54.99 for 3 yrs, but they also sometimes offers discounts. OTOH getting the warranty directly from Walmart, likely smoother.

Jesusthewererabbit

Mar 20, 2008
The Sanyo is a 720p Plasma and not a 1080p LCD, but it does get stellar reviews at Wal Mart's site. One thing it has that the ProScan doesn't is a clear QAM tuner, which is a plus for some. I have Knology expanded basic cable with no cable box, and they include the local network affiliates (and a few other channels) in HD for no additional charge. I could watch them if I had a clear QAM tuner.

I could have sworn that it said LCD when I posted that. Oh well, it's still a really good price.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
For those that have this (or the plasma) how are the viewing angles (horizontal and vertical)?

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
good deal. ordered one for the collection. woo 55", 42", 47", 42", 42" and now a 40", just a few more tvs and I'll be set

BurningDog

Oct 10, 2002
I bought this (the Proscan) a few weeks back when it was on SD.

No complaints about the image quality. I don't think it would work well for the virtual pinball setup though. At extreme angles, the blacks don't stay deep like you'd want for a set up like that. A plasma, even at lower resolution would be a better bet, I'd think.

It does have a clear QAM tuner. I can get my local channels in HD from Comcast through the line w/o a box.

Looks great hooked up to a PC through VGA.

I'm having trouble getting it to work with a DVI -> HDMI converter though. The TV says that its getting a 1920x1080 signal, but displays it at 4:3 smushed in the middle of the screen. Any ideas?