4 firefighters shot, 2 dead in NY state

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
This, exactly.

Trust me, we on the right really, really, really support paying to keep people in prison after they have brutally murdered old women. We don't care about their bad childhoods, we don't care about their ADHD, we don't even want them to have conjugal visits. Our motto is keep them in prison until they die - and then keep them in prison some more until they begin to stink so we know they aren't faking.
lol.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This, exactly.

Trust me, we on the right really, really, really support paying to keep people in prison after they have brutally murdered old women. We don't care about their bad childhoods, we don't care about their ADHD, we don't even want them to have conjugal visits. Our motto is keep them in prison until they die - and then keep them in prison some more until they begin to stink so we know they aren't faking.

Mention raising taxes to fund it and see how well that goes then.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Mention raising taxes to fund it and see how well that goes then.

You don't need to raise taxes if you're cutting elsewhere. Of course, this is the country who wouldn't know how to balance a budget if our lives depended on it...

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You don't need to raise taxes if you're cutting elsewhere. Of course, this is the country who wouldn't know how to balance a budget if our lives depended on it...

Like I said before (maybe not this thread), nobody wants to cut anything. One man's project is another man's pork. Obviously, our current state of affairs reflect that rather well. Regardless, my point still stands and is added to....nobody wants higher taxes to pay for more services and nobody wants to cut anything to payer for more services but they all want more services.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not a thug. Just a "lost soul"

mug.jpg

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
You guys aren't winning any arguments. Sadly, 2 more people who serve the public are now killed, on the eve of Christmas no less. Why can't these people simply shoot themselves.......why....

Anyone dying trying to serve others deserves honor in their deaths. This guy killing himself now would be pointless in his mind. He Should have hung himmself 33 years ago befor he killed granny. The man should have never seen the light of day. After beating grannies brains in with hammer. If your going to point a finger of guilt . Point it justly. The fault is purely in the hands and deeds of bleeding heart liberals . Who manage threw incarseration to tame the beast and released it back on to the world. Freaken tards.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I talked to the NRA, they said we need an armed guard at every fire. Also, firefighters should be armed when fighting fires.

In fact everyone should probably just strap themselves up like a John Woo movie at all times, it's the only way to be safe from all the guns.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Anyone dying trying to serve others deserves honor in their deaths. This guy killing himself now would be pointless in his mind. He Should have hung himmself 33 years ago befor he killed granny. The man should have never seen the light of day. After beating grannies brains in with hammer. If your going to point a finger of guilt . Point it justly. The fault is purely in the hands and deeds of bleeding heart liberals . Who manage threw incarseration to tame the beast and released it back on to the world. Freaken tards.

Wow, to say what you said in the bolded section after the litany of grammatical errors you made is pathetic.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I think we need to have Fireman packing heat.

I think we need to not release people who kill their own grandmothers until they are at least her age at the time of her death. That would be much more efficient. Stop jailing people for drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc. so that we can release psychos like this guy. The immense lack of logic in this country is astounding.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
He should have been executed. Someone who would brutally murder an elderly person does not belong in society or prison.

This notion of not wanting to kill murderers is new, society has executed people since the start of civilization and it is the best action to take for people like this.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He should have been executed. Someone who would brutally murder an elderly person does not belong in society or prison.

This notion of not wanting to kill murderers is new, society has executed people since the start of civilization and it is the best action to take for people like this.

Society also used to burn witches and use bloodletting. The argument that we used to do something therefore we should continue doing something is not a good one.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Relative to capital punishment in general the burning of witches was a short lived phenomena.

Also to attempt to relate the two requires a conscious lapse of reason.

What possible good does preserving the lives of murderers add to society? What possible bad could come of it?

It isn't even close to being a tough decision in my opinion.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think we need to not release people who kill their own grandmothers until they are at least her age at the time of her death. That would be much more efficient. Stop jailing people for drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc. so that we can release psychos like this guy. The immense lack of logic in this country is astounding.

Prisons are packed to the hilt with the "War on Drugs".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Relative to capital punishment in general the burning of witches was a short lived phenomena.

Also to attempt to relate the two requires a conscious lapse of reason.

What possible good does preserving the lives of murderers add to society? What possible bad could come of it?

It isn't even close to being a tough decision in my opinion.

So you are saying that the logical fallacy you are employing (argument from tradition) becomes stronger when the tradition is longer? Because no, it doesn't. It is a logical fallacy regardless, which was the point of my examples.

Are you attempting to say that murderers have never contributed anything to society after committing a murder? That's pretty obviously untrue as well. Where did you get that idea? Do you believe no innocent person has ever been executed? There's two 'bads' that took me about zero seconds to think of.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Society also used to burn witches and use bloodletting. The argument that we used to do something therefore we should continue doing something is not a good one.

That statement is true, but so can be said for what's not broken don't fix it as well. Burning witches as a rule was a broken rule because it killed innocent people. Killing murderers as a rule is broken how?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

^ This. :thumbsup:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That statement is true, but so can be said for what's not broken don't fix it as well. Burning witches as a rule was a broken rule because it killed innocent people. Killing murderers as a rule is broken how?

Because it has also killed innocent people?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Because it has also killed innocent people?

Far less than witch burnings, unless you count all executions from various time frames and countries. There have been a few executions in the US in the last 30 years and not many of those innocents. You fix what is broken with the system that lets an innocent get sentenced for an execution, you don't throw your hands up at the matter.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Far less than witch burnings, unless you count all executions from various time frames and countries. There have been a few executions in the US in the last 30 years and not many of those innocents. You fix what is broken with the system that lets an innocent get sentenced for an execution, you don't throw your hands up at the matter.

The length and expense of the capital punishment system (which costs more than life in prison in many cases) is the result of our attempts to mitigate those problems. It is making things worse, not better.