4 firefighters shot, 2 dead in NY state

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
This guy should not had been out of prison.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something easy to say with 20 20 hindsight, but not possible with any foresight accuracy.

Why does only one person in a large group fitting a given profile go really rouge and wacky, while no one else fitting that profile went over the edge.

Who is going to play God and make that determination, and do we have enough prisons to house them all?

As it was, the perp got out of prison in 1997 or so, and lived the legal and quiet life for 15 years. As the sketchy history of Mr. Striber5s life is coming out very slowly.

As I wonder how Stringer obtained and learned to shoot the same Ar-15 Bushmaster type assault weapon used in the Newtown shooting. Possibly stolen from a neighbor? Or will we find out it was purchased at a no questioned asked gun show?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something easy to say with 20 20 hindsight, but not possible with any foresight accuracy.

Why does only one person in a large group fitting a given profile go really rouge and wacky, while no one else fitting that profile went over the edge.

Who is going to play God and make that determination, and do we have enough prisons to house them all?

As it was, the perp got out of prison in 1997 or so, and lived the legal and quiet life for 15 years. As the sketchy history of Mr. Striber5s life is coming out very slowly.

As I wonder how Stringer obtained and learned to shoot the same Ar-15 Bushmaster type assault weapon used in the Newtown shooting. Possibly stolen from a neighbor? Or will we find out it was purchased at a no questioned asked gun show?
Hindsight is strong, but in the end society failed to shuttle this guy away from the rest of us. If it had done a better job he wouldn't have hammered his grandmommy to death 30 years back and done what he did now. Criminal psychiatry certainly is not a simple field, though.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I saw the text of the note that he left. As much of a tragedy as the situation was, the people of Webster are damn lucky that this killer was impatient. Had he waited, hidden, until a full contingent of firefighters were on the scene, many more might have died.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
We've had some of the toughest gun laws for 75 years, so we have the lowest shooting rates? Hardly.

Our neighbor Vermont, where I also live has no, zero, none, do not exist laws regarding the carrying of handguns. That doesn't mean that they just get permits, there aren't any. Complete unfettered carrying of handguns. I took a half dozen on my person to plink some cans on a frozen lake.

So it follows that VT has a higher rate, with no laws whatsoever. No, it's at the bottom of all states.

No possible law enacted at the federal level could possibly be more stringent than here, yet we're less safe. Explain that in terms of handgun laws.

Notice how he completely ignored your argument and moved on to the next "cause", Rider. I am shocked that people are dumb enough to believe banning guns would stop criminals from getting them.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Notice how he completely ignored your argument and moved on to the next "cause", Rider. I am shocked that people are dumb enough to believe banning guns would stop criminals from getting them.

Was this directed to me? I never ignored anything and never moved on to the next "cause" unless posting updates to the story are considered next "cause". I also never said nothing of banning guns as it won't work unless every gun was rounded up and that will never happen here. If that was not directed to me, then forget my statement above.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Don't know if it was pointed out earlier in this thread but one of the volunteer firemen murdered was a 19 y.o. who volunteered for Christmas Eve duty so the married members could spend the day with their families.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
There should be heavy psychological tests to determine whether someone can get a license to carry firearms. Of course that would mean that pretty much all the current gunowners would lose the right to carry a gun.

There should be heavy psychological tests to determine whether someone can post on the internet. Of course that would mean that pretty much all the current loony leftist would lose their right to post.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

No, it is very easy to say with absolute clarity of foresight, he beat his grandmother to death with a fucking hammer, there's nothing ambiguous about whether he belongs in society.

There's a large group of people that beat their relatives to death with hammers?

We aren't talking about a non-violent offender, this guy is the very definition of who prisons are for.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
why would a person who murdered a 92 year old woman with a hammer ever be let out of prison ?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Good question. Ask your fellow bleeding hearts.

How about asking those that don't want to pay for it? How many are let out of prisons because of overcrowding and the lack of will to pay for or build new, larger prisons? Like everything else, everyone wants this but nobody wants to pay for it. We can pay for it now, or as in this case, pay for it later (in lost lives and properties).

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How about asking those that don't want to pay for it? How many are let out of prisons because of overcrowding and the lack of will to pay for or build new, larger prisons? Like everything else, everyone wants this but nobody wants to pay for it. We can pay for it now, or as in this case, pay for it later (in lost lives and properties).

Who wants large prison populations? Certainly not me. End the war on drugs and keep truly violent offenders behind bars. But nobody in Washington has the guts to admit the war on drugs is about further consolidating money and power, and almost nothing to do with drugs.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Who wants large prison populations? Certainly not me. End the war on drugs and keep truly violent offenders behind bars. But nobody in Washington has the guts to admit the war on drugs is about further consolidating money and power, and almost nothing to do with drugs.

I can agree to that. We seem to give stiffer sentences to those that smoke week than those who take a life, or so it seems. Regardless, there is no willingness to pay for such things, even if necessary. It's the "American way"....someone else can pay.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I can agree to that. We seem to give stiffer sentences to those that smoke week than those who take a life, or so it seems. Regardless, there is no willingness to pay for such things, even if necessary. It's the "American way"....someone else can pay.

And therein is the real issue. Those who have committed a serious violent crime and have and have not shown stability are released without proper evaluation. So many of these crimes are done by those who have shown severe mental problems before. There must be a better way.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There must be a better way.

I'm sure there is, but like everything else, nobody wants to pay for it. Nobody wants expanded spending (nobody wants cuts either) or so they say, nobody wants higher taxes, nobody wants targeted taxes, people clammer for smaller government spending, everybody wants "their" healthcare but nobody wants to pay for overall healthcare (including mental healthcare) and then throw in "no child left behind" type of laws in which the mentally challenged MUST be integrated into society as a REGULAR person and MUST NOT be given special classes or treatment (see and hear about this every single day of the school year) and we get the society that we wanted....until we don't want it anymore.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
why would a person who murdered a 92 year old woman with a hammer ever be let out of prison ?
This, exactly.

I'm sure there is, but like everything else, nobody wants to pay for it. Nobody wants expanded spending (nobody wants cuts either) or so they say, nobody wants higher taxes, nobody wants targeted taxes, people clammer for smaller government spending, everybody wants "their" healthcare but nobody wants to pay for overall healthcare (including mental healthcare) and then throw in "no child left behind" type of laws in which the mentally challenged MUST be integrated into society as a REGULAR person and MUST NOT be given special classes or treatment (see and hear about this every single day of the school year) and we get the society that we wanted....until we don't want it anymore.
Trust me, we on the right really, really, really support paying to keep people in prison after they have brutally murdered old women. We don't care about their bad childhoods, we don't care about their ADHD, we don't even want them to have conjugal visits. Our motto is keep them in prison until they die - and then keep them in prison some more until they begin to stink so we know they aren't faking.