3rd Coldest Winter in American History

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
It looks like the American northeast is one of the few areas that has been cooler than average this winter. The last few winters have been fairly mild so this one should help kill all the bugs. Don't worry, Spring is right around the corner!
201401.gif
This should have been the last post in this thread. It clearly and rather dramatically shows the premise of the OP is wholly misguided.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
What's your point? The arctic ice is shrinking, just not as fast as Gore predicted. Woo hoo? Good news mankind, you get a few more years to party before the day of reckoning comes? Yay. You're like a child who gloats, "Ha ha, Mom. You said if I played with cherry bombs I'd lose my hand, but I only lost four fingers. Boy, are you dumb." Derp.
I am guilty of not sharing your hysteria, of that there is no doubt. But I have yet to see a compelling argument for how mankind will control the climate of our planet. Any argument actually. I'm confident you fall into the "do something, anything" crowd though.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
2nd warmest February on record in my fair city (Tucson), missed the record by 0.4°F.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I am guilty of not sharing your hysteria, of that there is no doubt. But I have yet to see a compelling argument for how mankind will control the climate of our planet. Any argument actually. I'm confident you fall into the "do something, anything" crowd though.

That is the rub. The "thing" they want to do, the "cure" so to speak could be catastrophic. That is why I am watching to see what the EPA ultimately does. If we get the economy killing cap and trade, I will pull all my money out of the market, every single drop. I am completely convinced that cap and trade would kneecap the market. Ironically I could benefit by America's misery by acting swiftly.

Of course I could never hope to benefit as much as the global warming "theorists" who already have companies set up to handle cap and trade transactions..... those "theorists" will be billionaires almost over night. They won't even be selling a REAL product. I am not sure how destroying the economy is supposed to avert disaster but that is what the scientists are selling.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012

Well, one way to control climate is to increase CO2 partial pressure in the atmosphere, by oxidizing almost all available carbon on earth, which is a result of the atmosphere's decarbonization over hundreds of millions of years. That should give us a steady warming effect. Even better, release unburnt methane in the atmosphere!

As for cooling - some studies showed that particle emissions from ships actually cool the earth down slightly. Whether or not cause and effect have been conclusively linked isn't to my knowledge. But if in doubt, look at how volano eruptions with large dust clouds can cause global cooling. Blowing a few millions of tons of dust into the jetstream doesn't sound like an impossible task, given our ability to initiate nuclear fusion based explosions of near arbitrary intensity, when we aren't limited by delivery mechanisms.

Would you believe the impact a few cyanobacteria had on the climate? :D

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
One arctic blast after another. I have never experienced weather this brutal and prolonged. I am very interested to see how global warming theorists spin this one. At this point it is getting a bit embarassing for them.

screenhunter_70-feb-16-12-51.gif

https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/third-coldest-winter-on-record-so-far-in-the-us/
How about if the global theorists call you retarded because you can't comprehend a simple concept of "global." Globally, January and February were exceptionally warm. January was the 4th warmest of that month that's ever been recorded, and the #1 warmest since 2007.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
There's no hysteria in acknowledging reality (e.g., arctic ice is shrinking dramatically). It would be great to relegate the deniers to the lunatic fringe so the rest of us could discuss how mankind can mitigate (NOT control) climate, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Any attempts at informed discussion are quickly diverted by "useful idiots" spouting their industry-fueled talking points. We need to be discussing costs vs. benefits, but instead we're stuck with "3rd Coldest Winter in American History" and partisan drones hurling poo at Al Gore.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
How about if the global theorists call you retarded because you can't comprehend a simple concept of "global." Globally, January and February were exceptionally warm. January was the 4th warmest of that month that's ever been recorded, and the #1 warmest since 2007.

So...... these "scientists" are full of shit?

Millions of people in America and northern Europe are still battling snow and ice, wondering why they are being punished with bitter cold when -- officially -- spring has arrived and Earth is in the grip of global warming.

Yet some scientists, eyeing the fourth year in a row of exceptionally harsh late-winter weather in parts of Europe and North America, suggest warming is precisely the problem.

In a complex tango between ocean and atmosphere, warming is causing icy polar air to be displaced southwards, they contend.

"The linkage is becoming clearer and clearer, I think, although the science has not yet been settled," said Dim Coumou of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) near Berlin.

http://www.wunderground.com/news/global-warming-winters-20130328

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
You didn't... .... .... le sigh... :(

We've been talking about this. A few regions are cold. The globe is still warm.

I get that! I really really do. Regional weather is not global weather.

What I do not get and have never got is that global warming theorist predictions never pan out..... NEVER. The best global warming theorists can do is AFTER weather happens go back and explain why global warming caused that weather to happen. Shit I could do that, make up bullshit explanations after the fact.

Global warming theorists never, but fucking NEVER accurately predict what is going to happen (on either a regional or a global scale). They spend all their time explaining why their predictions were so badly off. Witness the global warming pause machinations. The reality has veered so far off the models as to be laughable. Each year that passes only does more to verify that their fears were overrated. That is why the panic and rush to get caps in before the proof is undeniable. Once the caps are in there is no going back.... look at ethanol for evidence of that. It ain't science, it is a few vested interests looking to make a fortune.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I get that! I really really do. Regional weather is not global weather.

What I do not get and have never got is that global warming theorist predictions never pan out..... NEVER. The best global warming theorists can do is AFTER weather happens go back and explain why global warming caused that weather to happen. Shit I could do that, make up bullshit explanations after the fact.

Global warming theorists never, but fucking NEVER accurately predict what is going to happen (on either a regional or a global scale). They spend all their time explaining why their predictions were so badly off. Witness the global warming pause machinations. The reality has veered so far off the models as to be laughable. Each year that passes only does more to verify that their fears were overrated. That is why the panic and rush to get caps in before the proof is undeniable. Once the caps are in there is no going back.... look at ethanol for evidence of that. It ain't science, it is a few vested interests looking to make a fortune.

Climate scientists have predicted as the earth warms weather will become more and more extreme. Correct prediction.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

English apparently isn't your first language? I can understand why that would cause some difficulty with your reading comprehension. Globally, the average temperature is up. Globally, January was the warmest January since 2007. Globally, January was the 4th warmest January ever recorded. Now, if you have geography problems, perhaps you should look at a globe and examine how small an area you're actually talking about that's experiencing colder than normal temperatures. That article explains the possible mechanism by which the arctic vortex dips down to latitudes where people have cities and things.

edit: and followup to your subsequent reply - can you show me that scientists predicted that the annual cold temperatures would remain in the arctic region and that we *wouldn't* have this type of local weather? As far as I'm aware, they didn't make any such prediction, thus your follow-up argument is a strawman argument.

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
People can't even predict daily weather with great accuracy. Focusing on a prediction years out just seems like a waste of time.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
This is why it isn't science. Every single prediction was high. There is bias. If it was real science, some predictions would be high, some would be low. There is a fundamental lack of understanding about the climate, it is undeniable. The models are for shit and mean not a damn thing, they predict NOTHING.

IPCC_Warming_Predictions_Wide.jpg

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
There's no hysteria in acknowledging reality (e.g., arctic ice is shrinking dramatically). It would be great to relegate the deniers to the lunatic fringe so the rest of us could discuss how mankind can mitigate (NOT control) climate, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Any attempts at informed discussion are quickly diverted by "useful idiots" spouting their industry-fueled talking points. We need to be discussing costs vs. benefits, but instead we're stuck with "3rd Coldest Winter in American History" and partisan drones hurling poo at Al Gore.

Ah, I see. We have Discussion Club for the serious discussions. Why not go there? You are frequently dismayed with what goes on here. Some thoughtful introspection might help you figure out why you repeatedly expose yourself to partisan drones here. The answer to your dilemma is but one click away at DC.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
English apparently isn't your first language? I can understand why that would cause some difficulty with your reading comprehension. Globally, the average temperature is up. Globally, January was the warmest January since 2007. Globally, January was the 4th warmest January ever recorded. Now, if you have geography problems, perhaps you should look at a globe and examine how small an area you're actually talking about that's experiencing colder than normal temperatures. That article explains the possible mechanism by which the arctic vortex dips down to latitudes where people have cities and things.

Is there evidence that the current minor warming is largely human caused? Or how the scammy "carbon credit" scheme is supposed to do anything about it even if it is true?

Besides, warm is good. Look at humanity during the Medieval Warm Period versus the Little Ice Age. Which one do you think resulted in famine, disease, and death?

The static climate that we used to think is the norm is a myth. It's always getting warmer or colder for some reason or another. Torpedoing our economy in a likely fruitless attempt to turn down the thermostat a few tenths of a degree just doesn't seem like an awesome idea.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Climate scientists have predicted as the earth warms weather will become more and more extreme. Correct prediction.

Winning what's basically a binary wager isn't exactly the most ringing endorsement of their predictive powers. It's certainly reasonable to question whether that's adequate proof to support ceding a huge degree of control over the world economy under the logic of "better safe than sorry." Plus even if you did, there's hardly agreement over how to quantify the cost/benefit of any action you might take.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is there evidence that the current minor warming is largely human caused? Or how the scammy "carbon credit" scheme is supposed to do anything about it even if it is true?

Besides, warm is good. Look at humanity during the Medieval Warm Period versus the Little Ice Age. Which one do you think resulted in famine, disease, and death?

The static climate that we used to think is the norm is a myth. It's always getting warmer or colder for some reason or another. Torpedoing our economy in a likely fruitless attempt to turn down the thermostat a few tenths of a degree just doesn't seem like an awesome idea.

This is a dangerously naive way to look at things. Whether or not a modestly warmer climate might be beneficial all other things being equal is not what is being debated. Our society is heavily structured based on how the climate has been historically. We have large cities that would end up underwater, our farming systems are set up in places that could become drought blighted, ecosystems are dependent on certain temperature ranges, etc, etc.

The overall damage that this would cost to address is absolutely enormous.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
This is a dangerously naive way to look at things. Whether or not a modestly warmer climate might be beneficial all other things being equal is not what is being debated. Our society is heavily structured based on how the climate has been historically. We have large cities that would end up underwater,.

Um, there is absolutely no evidence to support that the sea level rise rate is increasing, it is steady at less than 5mm/year. Adapting to this extremely modest and steady rise given 21st technology does not seem too problematic given that there are cities and countries that have dealt effectively with these types of issues for centuries.

Fear-mongering aside, the productivity of crop lands increases every year, the total harvest increases yearly and the amount of land used for farming decreases every year. Based on objective evidence of the last century, global warming has been an UNPRECENDENTED boon to agriculture. Of course technology is largely responsible for that, but increased CO2 in the atmosphere certainly played a role.

I simply do not buy that a person who's speciality is predicting climate change would have expertise in quantifying what climate change would do to agriculture. This is especially relevant when looking at the historical record. Who can really believe that a warming climate creates less arable land? That is a belief unbacked by ANY documented FACTS or EVIDENCE, it literally DEFIES all known FACTS and EVIDENCE. It is a religion. The mental gymnastics required to get there are as breathtaking as they are unscientific and speculative.

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING EMBARRASSING STATEMENTS.

He never said "will be"

What he said was a quote from a U.S. climate scientist Wieslaw Maslowski who works with the US navy to help research the arctic ice levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsioIw4bvzI

http://fora.tv/2009/12/14/COP15_Gore_and_Store_Report_on_Arctics_Melting_Ice

Here is the quote. Now read carefully because its important.

Some of the models suggest that there is a 75 percent chance that the entire north polar ice cap, during some of the summer months, could be completely ice-free within the next five to seven years," says Gore

What next your going to tell me All Gore Said he Invented the internet agian? :rolleyes:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So...... these "scientists" are full of shit?

The only retards around here are the union fuckwads that continue to deny the fact that global warming has not increased for +15 years, but continue to lie to their students.

http://judithcurry.com/2014/03/04/causes-and-implications-of-the-pause/#more-14835

Causes and implications of the growing divergence between climate model simulations and observations

For the past 15+ years, there has been no increase in global average surface temperature, which has been referred to as a ‘hiatus’ in global warming. By contrast, estimates of expected warming in the first several decades of 21st century made by the IPCC AR4 were 0.2C/decade. This talk summarizes the recent CMIP5 climate model simulation results and comparisons with observational data. The most recent climate model simulations used in the AR5 indicate that the warming stagnation since 1998 is no longer consistent with model projections even at the 2% confidence level.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
The only retards around here are the union fuckwads that continue to deny the fact that global warming has not increased for +15 years, but continue to lie to their students.

http://judithcurry.com/2014/03/04/causes-and-implications-of-the-pause/#more-14835

Fist thanks for posting a credible link. Remember that's one scientists opinions nevertheless a very good read. And you mean global surface temperatures as she points out if there is missing heat it could be in the Oceans. Whats interesting is the solar energy hitting the earth normally has 9 to 12 year cycle and we in the lull and its late coming back up. That could account for the "pause" as well.

global_surface_temperature.jpg