3dfx just unleashed their mega secret weapon HSR, will NVIDIA respond?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RoboTECH

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2000
tentatively, NV20 has hardwired HSR support

my guess is that they are pretty much "done" with the GTS. I'm sure they'll offer updates for bug fixes and FSAA compatibility and whatnot, but what you see with the GTS is what you will be getting

realistically speaking, nvidia has such a lead now in the benchmarking department, there really isnt much reason for them to take much time to try to improve the Geforce anymore

3dfx still has a loooooooooong way to go with HSR. but it sure is promising. <g>

DominoBoy

Nov 3, 2000
RoboTECH Quote. << &quot;damn, what's with all the spit and stuff ...gross! take baths, all of you, now!!!!&quot; >> Haha Robo !!!!! :)

AirGibson. I am going to try and be as *nice* as possible while making these comments. Aaarrrgggg.

1) Considering the length of some of your posts, I don't think I'm the one who &quot;needs to let it go&quot;. ;)

2) You have picked apart what several people besides me have said and they were not even being rude or anything. Oh yes, I might have
been ru .....ru.....ru..... *less than nice*, but that's just me sometimes.

3) They were hugs not kisses. Hugs Damnit.

4) You better sit down for this one. *DominoBoy takes deep breath*

I guess we all get carried away sometimes, and I have really been letting off some steam lately.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry. There, I said it. Now I don't want anybody slobbering all over me and being nice damnit, just
accept it and move on for god's sake.

*Domino goes to take a hot shower and wash off the sick friendly feeling that seems to be taking over.*

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
thats much better;)

this thread is a group therapy session as much as it is a thread about video cards and drivers:)

MadAd

Oct 1, 2000
I guess if i did all that benchmarking and get slated Id be a bit miffed too ... especially since the chief protagonist seems to be set on doing down the hard work and realisation bought to the table with mere snipes and insults.

Whatever happened to tolerance and understanding??

One facet of human nature is that when someone buys a vid card, they can see negative comments in forums such as this as a slight on their own judgement in selecting and purchasing their card ... we'd all like to think we made the best choice and without realising, can become biased defenders of the company and loose a small element of objectivity.

just my 2p's worth

AirGibson

Nov 30, 2000
MadAd, just let it die. He appologized in his own way and that's the end of the story.

And I agree with your comments about card owners to an extent. I really don't know how someone can say that it is a &quot;mistake&quot; to purchase either the V5500, GF2, or Raedon of whatever flavor. All are truly kick-ass cards, IMO. Most of the times where flames are involved it is simply guys trying to prove to each other that &quot;their toy is better than yours.&quot;

BTW, have any official specs been released on the nv 20? Robo mentioned it may have HSR microcode. Are there any for-sure specs out there yet?

3dfxAlf

Jan 11, 2000
Now that it's entirely too late, every one realizes that this 100+ thread was regarding something that isn't even enabled in an early beta driver right? ;)

jtshaw

Nov 27, 2000
Having nother to do with performance, I must say I wouldn't go with a 3dfx card if you paid me right now....but then agian there linux support sucks and that is why I won't. nVidia is the only graphics card that seams to want to support my os.... too bad really.

DominoBoy

Nov 3, 2000
Look it's Alf, the same guy who promised us (at the HH forums) that the 6000 would not be cancelled. He strung us along for months, and just kept promising it would not be cancelled. Well since I don't visit that site anymore I never got a chance to say....

Thanks a lot ALF !!!!!

I am not flaming you Alf, but you did string us along. You promised us man, and we believed you. And when it didn't come true I went ahead and bought a GeForce2 GTS, and guess what? I'm not happy with it, and now I get flamed by Nvidiots here when I talk about my disappointment. You see...... it caused a chain reaction that is still affecting me today!

BTW, I am selling my GTS and I'm probably getting a Radeon or a Voodoo5 but I will never have much faith in 3DFX or ALF again. You owe me an apology ALF. Maybe you already made one over at HH to all the other suckers like me who believed you, but I don't visit there anymore.

And people wonder why I have a bad attitude about 3DFX sometimes??

DominoBoy

Nov 3, 2000
BTW, I have talked to RoboTECH and Dave before so I don't hate &quot;All things 3DFX&quot;. In fact I was having a nice little chat with Dave just the other day about maybe getting a V5. But ALF had personal conversations with us at HH and he promised us. PROMISED !!!!

DaveB3D

Sep 21, 2000
Domino.. lay off Alf there.. he is a good guy and doesn't deserve the flak you are giving him.. don't make me put the smack down on you now. :)

DominoBoy

Nov 3, 2000
OK Dave. I guess he was just telling us that because it was his job. I can understand that. But it really did ruin my original plans. I know you guys are as upset as anybody though. Yeah, he was just doing his job......... I can see that. I guess now everybody knows where my anger with 3DFX came from. I didn't hate them, I loved them. I was just let down, and it hurt. But I will chill out Dave.

But that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it ..........damnit. ;)

DaLeroy

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
Domino, don't fret. If your feeling REALLY REALLY rich, you can buy one that is 'possibly' going for sale on EB@Y. Cheer Up!!:cool:

Varborta

Jul 11, 2000
Dominoboy you seem to cause trouble in my thread. Please stop, arent you anti all video cards?

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
sorry about my brief absence Domino...i've been following the thread closely since i havent been posting. and i only post when there is something productive to say. as for your medication, take two of these and call me in the morning. ;)

RoboTECH

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2000
Alf isn't in charge of the company. He was just reiterating what he was told.

It's the unfortunate part of a job where you gotta absorb the heat rounds generated by supervisors who screw up.

DominoBoy

Nov 3, 2000

Varborta: <<&quot;Dominoboy you seem to cause trouble in my thread. Please stop, arent you anti all video cards?&quot;>>

I thought it was our thread? Anyway, I was just expressing my honest disappointment. Sorry if I went overboard. It's not my fault though, because Sunny had my damn pills. BTW, didn't anybody even notice that the secret of my 'sometimes harsh' feelings towards 3DFX were just exposed? I'm not a hater, I'm a lover. Just an angry lover because of the 6000, that's all.

Sunny: <<&quot;sorry about my brief absence Domino...i've been following the thread closely since i havent been posting. and i only post when there is something productive to say. as for your medication, take two of these and call me in the morning.&quot;>>

Oh sure, now you show up. :p These better be the extra strength. *pop-pop* *glunk-glunk* *swallow* ;)

RoboTECH: <<&quot;Alf isn't in charge of the company. He was just reiterating what he was told. It's the unfortunate part of a job where you gotta absorb the heat rounds generated by supervisors who screw up.&quot;>>

Yeah I know. That's why I made that last post. It was 3DFX, not ALF who screwed up. He was just telling us that stuff because that's what his job is. He is not responcible for the whole company, or for passing along information that they should have handled differently or atleast sooner.

*ahhh.... pills starting to take effect*

Anyone care to dance? :D

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
next time you have to take the pills, wash 'em down with beer. they'll work much better. :)