Intel i5 2.67Ghz
4GB Ram
ATI HD 5670 512MB (HDMI)
Intel SSD for OS
7200 RPM 1.5 TB HD for internal storage
Lite-On 4x Blu-ray Drive

Panasonic P65VT50 3D Plasma

Total Media Theatre 5

According to ATI's website, the HD 5xxx series can playback 3D movie content, but I am having zero luck. All the settings appear correct in the software and it will play Finding Nemo 3D in 2D. I'm not quite sure what I am doing wrong. I did read that some people talk about the video card needs to be at least a 6xxx series, but AMD's website says it can work this way.

My current setup works great as an HTPC, streaming is fast and blu-ray playback looks amazing!

What am I missing?

Sep 12, 2004
Supposedly the 5xxx series only does checkerboard format in 3D. If you are expecting 3D with active glasses you will need to move to a capable 6xxx series card or an nVIDIA 4xx card, or higher.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
no the HD 5xxx series is fine as i use a HD 5450 with a Acer H5360 3D projector with no problems. Your problem is the software your using. I recommend using PowerDVD for 3D Blu-ray playback

Stokes

Apr 20, 2005
no the HD 5xxx series is fine as i use a HD 5450 with a Acer H5360 3D projector with no problems. Your problem is the software your using. I recommend using PowerDVD for 3D Blu-ray playback

Both software are suppose to be fine.

PowerDvD crashes on start up for me. The 3D test they provide also crashes. The standard Blu-Ray test goes just fine, so far their support has been horrendous.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
PowerDvD crashes on start up for me.

Now that's the spirit! I knew there was a reason I havent bought a blu ray player yet. I remember the days when I couldnt get a regular dvd to play to save my life. So irritating....

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
And this is why I hate using PCs for DVD playback. I remember buying a Hollywood+ over a decade ago since there was some sort of mobo/bandwidth issue that wasn't allowing me to get smooth dvd playback from my P2. Nowadays, discs go in the PS3. Problem solved.

Stokes

Apr 20, 2005
Well I'm not really sure what output i'm suppose to set that software too. I tried setting it to iz3d monitor or the 120 hz 3d tv setting, but no change in what total media theatre plays. am I missing a setting?

I don't quite fully understand this software, but it looks like it just converts the image to 3d. In a message post on their forums, someone mentions using another company, and thats what their software does.

I'm tempted to try a HD 6 series and see what results I get.

Last edited:

Stokes

Apr 20, 2005
I upgraded to a 6670 card and my problem was solved without any changes.

Also cyberlink's software no longer crashes either with the change.