3D gaming - Is it good, bad, not worth it? Y is it not out there completely?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Doing it wrong? How so? I tried it...on a system that was not mine because I don't want to spend money on something I haven't experienced. Fair start? Ok...so then I play a few games. It gets ghosting...I don't know why, maybe it just does. Ok? Then I play some other games and the effect is distracting to the experience due to the type of game. Ok? I notice it's blurry. I am trying it out, I'm not going to sit there at a system that is not mine and adjust everything to make it as you say "doing it right." Seriously...if you cannot demo it to me and sell it to me without me having to troubleshoot why it looks this way or that way then why would I want to buy it or recommend it to others? I definitely think it's something unique and maybe someone would be interested, but me? No, and I already explained. I wear glasses as it is...I cannot wear two pairs comfortably. That's doing it wrong?

I'm basing an opinion on experience, maybe you're basing opinions on the fact that you threw $1000 into 3D and have to convince yourself it was worth it. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. That's not my call. Why do I have to justify my dislike of the technology as it is now to someone who thinks I am "not using it right"?

I am giving MY OPINION...read that again if you think your eyes deceive you. I tried it, found it wasn't for me and I'm telling you and others reading why I feel that way. Everyone needs to try it before they buy into it, that much is certain. What is not certain is whether you will be sold on it. Some people are wowed by it, I am not. Not as it is in its current form glasses and all. I really don't think I'm being unfair at all. When this technology started out everyone said "go try it". A couple years later are you now changing your tune and saying "until you buy it and adjust it for you, you can't judge it."? That is unfair and honestly not going to happen for most people.

Notice that not once did I tell someone not to buy it. I might, if it worked better for me.

Så you tried it on an apperently uncalibrated system that someone else own...gotcha....and that is your excuse?
I'm going to have to side with appopin here...not matter the flood of bad excuses that litters your post.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
The main problem is the people who have some twisted logic that leads them to believe opinions are facts.

No opinion is right or wrong. Thread is full of a few zealots who go way overboard because they believe their opinions can be a statement of fact rather than the reality that they are really their own subjective experience.

OP, you need to try it for yourself. It is one of those things like some people like to eat lamb and some can't stand it. You can definitely ask for people's opinions and experiences, just God forbid you do it here. The ravenous horde will descend in angst over people who don't agree with them.

Well, your posts about 3D (the negative ones) are filled with factual errors..that is a fact.

So when the "foundation" is FLAWED...the whole building is affected.

The only zealots I see here is the people being negative about 3D based on factual errors or a test on someones (unknow) borked system.

Remind me never to base hardware purchases on your "opinion".

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Så you tried it on an apperently uncalibrated system that someone else own...gotcha....and that is your excuse?
I'm going to have to side with appopin here...not matter the flood of bad excuses that litters your post.

I'm just going to label you a shill and move on. You're hopelessly defending your blind position. You're almost as bad as Rollo was years ago. God damn I thought we got away from this bullshit.

Opinion is opinion and yours reeks of fanboyism, payoffs, deceit, or something that smells like a cow pasture.

Do not post these kinds of over-the-top negative comments...it is inflammatory and needless. Also, profanity is not allowed on the technical forums.

Please take some time to familiarize yourself with the following portions of the AnandTech Forum Guidelines:
1) No trolling, flaming or personally attacking members. Deftly attacking ideas and backing up arguments with facts is acceptable and encouraged. Attacking other members personally and purposefully causing trouble with no motive other than to upset the crowd is not allowed.
We want to give all our members as much freedom as possible while maintaining an environment that encourages productive discussion. It is our desire to encourage our members to share their knowledge and experiences in order to benefit the rest of the community, while also providing a place for people to come and just hang out.

We also intend to encourage respect and responsibility among members in order to maintain order and civility. Our social forums will have a relaxed atmosphere, but other forums will be expected to remain on-topic and posts should be helpful, relevant and professional.

We ask for respect and common decency towards your fellow forum members.
Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I'm just going to label you a shill and move on. You're hopelessly defending your blind position. You're almost as bad as Rollo was years ago. God damn I thought we got away from this bullshit.

Opinion is opinion and yours reeks of fanboyism, payoffs, deceit, or something that smells like a cow pasture.

He's off-side. Look at his post history, every single post is rabid and caustic.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009

And your dislike for 3D is based on what?
Pot, kettle, black...

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I'd say 3D is a lot like multi-monitor gaming, it is expensive to get into and expensive to maintain. For 3D, you need a 120Hz monitor, along with a powerful system to push the frames for smooth gameplay, and of course the glasses and all that. For mutli-monitor, you need 3(+) monitors, again a powerful system, and desk space. It is expensive enough just building a PC for gaming these days, the additional costs outweigh the pros for me. It would be nice to try both, however I am alone in PC gaming when it comes to my friends. Maybe one day...

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Only Shills push 3D, it's a garbage gimmick/ sarcasm. :\
thEN2AOtuqv4l9orxlITLEYCo1_500_large.jpg

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Doing it wrong? How so? I tried it...on a system that was not mine because I don't want to spend money on something I haven't experienced. Fair start? Ok...so then I play a few games. It gets ghosting...I don't know why, maybe it just does. Ok? Then I play some other games and the effect is distracting to the experience due to the type of game. Ok? I notice it's blurry. I am trying it out, I'm not going to sit there at a system that is not mine and adjust everything to make it as you say "doing it right." Seriously...if you cannot demo it to me and sell it to me without me having to troubleshoot why it looks this way or that way then why would I want to buy it or recommend it to others? I definitely think it's something unique and maybe someone would be interested, but me? No, and I already explained. I wear glasses as it is...I cannot wear two pairs comfortably. That's doing it wrong?

I'm basing an opinion on experience, maybe you're basing opinions on the fact that you threw $1000 into 3D and have to convince yourself it was worth it. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. That's not my call. Why do I have to justify my dislike of the technology as it is now to someone who thinks I am "not using it right"?

I am giving MY OPINION...read that again if you think your eyes deceive you. I tried it, found it wasn't for me and I'm telling you and others reading why I feel that way. Everyone needs to try it before they buy into it, that much is certain. What is not certain is whether you will be sold on it. Some people are wowed by it, I am not. Not as it is in its current form glasses and all. I really don't think I'm being unfair at all. When this technology started out everyone said "go try it". A couple years later are you now changing your tune and saying "until you buy it and adjust it for you, you can't judge it."? That is unfair and honestly not going to happen for most people.

Notice that not once did I tell someone not to buy it. I might, if it worked better for me.

I'm trying to understand what your mean by blurry because each eye is receiving the resolution and exact frame. There is dimming and new monitor tech has improved upon this but older generation monitors need to tweak to help curb this, if it bothers some.

The only area where an image may be blurry and one can tweak the convergence to address -- convergence focus for your specific eyes.

It's perfectly fine your opinion, but if you get a chance to try again -- see if convergence does anything to improve the experience for your eyes.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Who of you wear glasses in real-life ? Or contact-lenses ? I can't imagine I want to play hours and hours of a videogame with glasses on my head. Heck, having a headset, with a wire, while I play multi-player games, is already irritating. I can't imagine playing 200 hours of Skryim with glasses on my head, and a cord that keeps ripping my glasses off at my every movement.
I wear glasses, and played in 3D for hours continuously. There are room for the glasses to fit within the 3D glasses. It comes with multiple nose piece which I never knew why, but I believe it either have something to do with glasses or nose. Bottom line, there are no problems for people with glasses.

Unlike movies, games are mostly first or third person. Take skyrim for example, it is right now the best 3d game out there. The UI doesn't done in 3D, so all the markers are off. The sky were done in 2d, which looks really awkward in 3D. For 3D users, they will simply use mods to remove stars just so that the sky looks correct. In other words, mod it right, skyrim > WoW by miles.

This most likely has much more to do with the content vs the actual equipment. Most movies are shot in 24 FPS, a frame rate that does not divide evenly into 60 while it does divide evenly into 120. The slight stutter is from seeing half frames I believe. To prove this watch something filmed in 30fps on a 60hz tv and it will look just as smooth as on a 120hz.
Upon driver updates, the refresh rate of the driver drops from 120 to 60hz. I can see the difference simply by moving the mouse cursor. Most TV shop uses specific scenes which is taken at 120FPS. To me, the difference can be observed easily, after using a 120Hz monitor for years. As to your obversation, you are correct, I won't be able to detect differences if they are playing something at 30FPS.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm trying to understand what your mean by blurry because each eye is receiving the resolution and exact frame. There is dimming and new monitor tech has improved upon this but older generation monitors need to tweak to help curb this, if it bothers some.

The only area where an image may be blurry and one can tweak the convergence to address -- convergence focus for your specific eyes.

It's perfectly fine your opinion, but if you get a chance to try again -- see if convergence does anything to improve the experience for your eyes.

I don't know how to explain it in technical terms as I don't know if I'm seeing convergence issues or something else. Imagine you take a very sharp image with defined details and edges. Then make it slightly out of focus or rather soften the edges slightly so that there is less defined lines of objects. Especially so in motion. That's as best as I can explain what I saw.

As for the note about Glasses, maybe they started offering options for those who wear glasses now. However, I can tell you that after an hour I was sore after trying the setup. I get sore on the bridge of my nose at IMAX 3D movies too.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know how to explain it in technical terms as I don't know if I'm seeing convergence issues or something else. Imagine you take a very sharp image with defined details and edges. Then make it slightly out of focus or rather soften the edges slightly so that there is less defined lines of objects. Especially so in motion. That's as best as I can explain what I saw.

As for the note about Glasses, maybe they started offering options for those who wear glasses now. However, I can tell you that after an hour I was sore after trying the setup. I get sore on the bridge of my nose at IMAX 3D movies too.
Actually, I think I have the answer to your situation. It isn't the image produced by the monitor through the glasses that gets blurry, it is the image preceived by your brain through one of your eye that is blurry. Let me explain with my own experience.

I have a lazy eye, attached to a lazy brain, which is attached to a lazy body. I couldn't get glasses that actually correct my vision when I was a child as I never knew anything about lazy eye. It was until I was a teen that friends were complaining that I wasn't looking at them when they speak, which I thought I was. I tried to fix my lazy eye by patching the good eye for weeks, but it was too late to fix it. I can see with the lazy eye, which by itself seems to only need mild correction. Unfortunately, my brain actually tries to discard the image as much as possible and the image through this eye appears to be blurry.

The setup screen of nvidia 3d vision bothers me as I only see the squares, but not the triangles when I use both eyes. I must close my good eye to see triangles. When I first started playing 3D games, the stress from both moving my eyes and processing 3D images with my brain was too intense that I couldn't stand more than 2 hours. Headache resulting from it is unbearable and my body tells me to sleep. Interestingly, headache goes away completely after 2 hours of sleep, and playing the exact same game no longer cause headache, but still stressful.

I knew both eyes were finally working together so I continue with this tech, not to mention that the 3d experience is really some experience to me. Now I can selectively see triangles with both eyes open although I need to really try hard after breaks from 3d. Images are no longer blurry, but far sharper than any high res packs.

As to the glasses problem, the 3d glasses were made big enough to fit my glasses inside. It comes with 3 nose piece so you can cut to shape if necessary.