Announcement 3080 Ti Rumor. Nvidia getting ready for NAVI RX 6800

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I'm in the same boat. I bought my 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor five years ago and am torn. I want to give AMD my money, because it looks like they will have the best product this go around, but I don't want to buy a new monitor anytime soon so I'll likely stick with NVIDIA.

That's why at home I never buy into vendor-lockin.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm in the same boat. I bought my 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor five years ago and am torn. I want to give AMD my money, because it looks like they will have the best product this go around, but I don't want to buy a new monitor anytime soon so I'll likely stick with NVIDIA.
Yea it sucks. For me it's not about extra money to spend, it's collecting hardware over the years that becomes harder to sell making it a pain. I usually give my brother hardware when I upgrade becuause it's not worth the hassle trying to sell big items like my current monitor; which now anyone can get a nice monitor for a lot less than what it could go for used.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Is there anything stopping some of the monitor manufacturers from releasing an update to enable Freesync on some of their displays?

I don't know enough about the differences between the two technologies, but there are plenty of displays that offer both. I think every manufacturer sells Freesync monitors so it's not as though they'd need to spend a lot of money building everything from the ground up.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Is there anything stopping some of the monitor manufacturers from releasing an update to enable Freesync on some of their displays?

I don't know enough about the differences between the two technologies, but there are plenty of displays that offer both. I think every manufacturer sells Freesync monitors so it's not as though they'd need to spend a lot of money building everything from the ground up.
That is a good question for the monitors from years ago that came with a Gsync module. I don't know enough about the technology to make any assumptions. But now that there are monitors that support both freesync and Gsync, I don't see why Nvidia or the manufacturer couldn't do anything.

Maybe the older gsync modules don't have that compatibility. Or if it has nothing to do with that it's probably some other limitation.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

-Money. I'm sure NV licensing probably gets in the way too, but why spend money to let consumers get away with not buying something new? That's like... Double bad for a company...

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yes, they want you to buy a new one. TVs are like that too, and sometimes earlier models don't get software fixes for things that they could easily support for the same reason.

Yea it sucks. For me it's not about extra money to spend, it's collecting hardware over the years that becomes harder to sell making it a pain. I usually give my brother hardware when I upgrade becuause it's not worth the hassle trying to sell big items like my current monitor; which now anyone can get a nice monitor for a lot less than what it could go for used.

I hold on to the boxes for anything big like that. It makes it much easier to sell when the time comes. I just sold my older LG E8 TV on ebay. Selling stuff is not always worth the money given the time spent, but it offsets the costs of new products and lets you get rid of stuff without just throwing it away. I think of it like getting a 20-30% discount on whatever I want to buy. :)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yes, they want you to buy a new one. TVs are like that too, and sometimes earlier models don't get software fixes for things that they could easily support for the same reason.

I hold on to the boxes for anything big like that. It makes it much easier to sell when the time comes. I just sold my older LG E8 TV on ebay. Selling stuff is not always worth the money given the time spent, but it offsets the costs of new products and lets you get rid of stuff without just throwing it away. I think of it like getting a 20-30% discount on whatever I want to buy. :)
Oh I definitely kept the box for that monitor. I never had good luck selling high value electronics on ebay. Always someone winning and either they are a scammer or they don't pay. Then you have to wait while a case goes through before you are free to try somewhere else.

What's interesting is this guy has the same monitor as me, but it seems he got a model with what seems like the newer gsync module or maybe there was a hardware revision, as he has has an amd card and options for Freesync showed up once drivers were installed. He claimed freesync is working.

Pretty sure there is only one 34 inch ultrawide from Dell and mine also has the gsync sticker so either the marketing is bad or something changed.

Edit: Didn't realize that model the guy has is a different one than I have. Looking at reviews I can tell the base with the legs is different.

Last edited:

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
That's why at home I never buy into vendor-lockin.

In principle I agree, but there weren't really any alternatives available at the time. Even a year or two after freesync was released the options sucked so I don't feel bad for getting five years so far out of my monitor saddled to NVIDIA. I view this specific one as just being an early adopter tax mixed in with NVIDIA's market dominance allowing them to pull their typical shenanigans. Up until a month or two from now, there weren't any viable GPU options from AMD during that time period anyway so I don't regret the purchase.

The nice thing is that anyone purchasing am freesync monitor now has tons of options and competition between Intel/AMD on the CPU side, and AMD/NVIDIA on the GPU side; assuming they get the supply issues worked out, 2021 should be a fantastic year for PC gaming. 2022/2023 is when I'll build my next box and hand my current setup down to my son. I'll go with whatever freesync ~4k big fancy monitor is available at the time, overkill CPU on DDR5 platform, overkill GPU and hopefully have some time to play with it all. Until then I'll probably just grab a 3070 since I'm having a hard time justifying any more given how little I game. Plus I'd rather put that money towards a new $$$ mnt bike that I'll get a lot more use out of and keep me in shape in my old age.

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I plan to stick to my 1080ti until all these new cards are widely available. I don't need one right away and am just playing older games these days anyway (the only upcoming game I care about is Cyberpunk), but want an HDMI 2.1 card to use all the features of my TV.

Oh I definitely kept the box for that monitor. I never had good luck selling high value electronics on ebay. Always someone winning and either they are a scammer or they don't pay. Then you have to wait while a case goes through before you are free to try somewhere else.

I've had occasional issues on ebay but for the most part things have worked out. The only danger is if the buyer breaks the item and claims it has problems, but that's rare. For big items like monitors, you can list on there but allow local pickup only, which makes it easier to deal with any issues. The ebay fees are quite high but things tend to sell more quickly than craigslist or the FS/FT section here.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
-Money. I'm sure NV licensing probably gets in the way too, but why spend money to let consumers get away with not buying something new? That's like... Double bad for a company...

If it were me I'd be a lot more likely to buy from a company that has a good support record for their products.

That's one of the nice things about AMD. Even though they haven't had the best cards in nearly a decade, they've always been good about driver support that lets their cards last a little bit longer or even ultimately come out on top of NVidia cards that beat them at launch.

It's hard to build brand loyalty if you don't give your customers a reason to be loyal.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If it were me I'd be a lot more likely to buy from a company that has a good support record for their products.

That's one of the nice things about AMD. Even though they haven't had the best cards in nearly a decade, they've always been good about driver support that lets their cards last a little bit longer or even ultimately come out on top of NVidia cards that beat them at launch.

It's hard to build brand loyalty if you don't give your customers a reason to be loyal.
I've been kind of mixed on this topic. Personally I see the whole AMD drives let cards "last a little bit longer or even ultimately come out on top of Nvidia cards that beat them at launch" thing from a completely different point of view. That would be the point of view that AMD doesn't spend the time to produce proper drivers at launch in the first place and it takes several years for them to finally release drivers that support their hardware properly. Seriously think about that for a moment. This could all be solved at launch time if they had more/smarter people working closer with the hardware teams and in conjunction with the release teams. I won't say Nvidia is perfect either, but the inference of not seeing any kind of major performance increases over time suggests that the drivers at launch are probably close to optimized (with only game specific optimizations being added over time).

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I've been kind of mixed on this topic. Personally I see the whole AMD drives let cards "last a little bit longer or even ultimately come out on top of Nvidia cards that beat them at launch" thing from a completely different point of view. That would be the point of view that AMD doesn't spend the time to produce proper drivers at launch in the first place and it takes several years for them to finally release drivers that support their hardware properly. Seriously think about that for a moment. This could all be solved at launch time if they had more/smarter people working closer with the hardware teams and in conjunction with the release teams. I won't say Nvidia is perfect either, but the inference of not seeing any kind of major performance increases over time suggests that the drivers at launch are probably close to optimized (with only game specific optimizations being added over time).

Its actually a bit of two things.

At launch, nVidia typically has drivers that are much more polished. And they are mostly bug free and perform well out the door. AMD's launch drivers tend to be less polished. In past years this was due mostly to lack of capital to invest in a larger driver team. And then we had the issues of cards with a whole new ISA (RDNA) launching before the drivers were really ready.

Down the road, nVidia halts almost all driver improvements for previous generation cards. As there largest competitor was themselves. So they wanted older cards to look worse than their newest cards in new games. This has been proven multiple times. AMD on the other hand, partly because they tend to use architectures for way longer, continue to provide performance updates for drivers of older cards. However, with GCN starting to go away, I will be curious if this continues.

Reactions: Tlh97

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
If i was a 3090 owner I would be sick. Literally. Disgusting bait and switch from NVIDIA. This will most likely come in at $999 or $1099 and be a 3090 sans 4 gb of extra memory.

Why? I got one and I knew exactly what the crazy rumors about AMD and the 20GB versions were. I paid for the top card and it seems that's what I still have. It could be 2 years until there's something faster (if its less I'm certainly not complaining), and these rumored cards are still not announced nor for sale, and AMD's are not out yet either. Meanwhile I finished the rest of AC:Odyssey and more than halfway through HZD with this card.

What I'm saying is, if you do your homework you have nothing to complain about. The only thing that would make me regret was if AMD had managed to overperform the 3090 with 20%+ for the same price or less and it was released already.

Reactions: Cableman

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
At that price, it's not a clear win over the 3080 either. You have to pay quite a bit more for primarily the extra memory. Seems like the 6800XT might be the best price/performance value among all the new cards.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well that's pretty much settles what I'll end up getting. But I still want to see AMD reviews. We will see, stock though will be horrendous as usual.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Well that's pretty much settles what I'll end up getting. But I still want to see AMD reviews. We will see, stock though will be horrendous as usual.

Day one for sure. The question will be how long for it to stabilize. As we know, Ampere stock is still non-existent, and we are going on 2 months since they became available.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Are they even going to sell the 3090 anymore? I don't see any point to that existing if the 3080 Ti is effectively the same with 4 GB less memory and $500 cheaper.

If this is true the only card to lose value faster than a 3090 is the 2080 Ti which saw a $700 drop as soon as the 3070 was announced. I suppose if we added an element of time into the comparison the 3090 could come out worse.