Announcement 3080 Ti Leaked - Possibly Fake?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Chinese poster

Resize

Article here:

Another thread here over at PCMag.

Although Toms's is claiming its fake.

*shrug* your thoughts?

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's what I would expect from the specs, a cheaper 3090 basically. However, if the street prices end up being $1400+ anyway (likely given how attractive this one is), it would have been better to just get a 3090 when it came out and have fun with it for 6-8 months instead of waiting for this.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
It's what I would expect from the specs, a cheaper 3090 basically. However, if the street prices end up being $1400+ anyway (likely given how attractive this one is), it would have been better to just get a 3090 when it came out and have fun with it for 6-8 months instead of waiting for this.
I got my 3090FE for $1400 plus tax, a bit over 2 weeks ago.. 3080's are about that now

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I don't think it really matters what it is because Nvidia won't sell anything that is basically a much less expensive 3090 (especially if it means binning a lot of dies that could have been sold as a 3090) as long as the demand for that card remains as high as it is.

GDDR6X memory is likely in short supply and if you have a choice of making two 3080s or one 3080 Ti that's probably eating up most of the extra revenue just for the additional VRAM or other components to make the more complex 20 memory module card, you probably make two 3080s since those will both sell and will keep your customers a lot happier because they could actually get one of your products.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
I don't think it really matters what it is because Nvidia won't sell anything that is basically a much less expensive 3090 (especially if it means binning a lot of dies that could have been sold as a 3090) as long as the demand for that card remains as high as it is.

GDDR6X memory is likely in short supply and if you have a choice of making two 3080s or one 3080 Ti that's probably eating up most of the extra revenue just for the additional VRAM or other components to make the more complex 20 memory module card, you probably make two 3080s since those will both sell and will keep your customers a lot happier because they could actually get one of your products.
Id be very surprised if the 3080Ti isn't going to use some yet-to-be-announced-but-must-exist 2GB DDR6X chips so it can use the cheaper 3080 board.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I would think they'll eventually have those modules, which is when the 3080 10 GB and the 3090 get retired, but even the 1 GB modules are in pretty short supply, so who knows when we'll see those come to market.

There was also some speculation about a new die that fits in between GA-102 and GA-104 potentially being used, but that's a bit of a stretch as well.

Honestly they don't really need a 3080 Ti since there's very little room between the 3080 and the 3090. A 20 GB 3080 with some slight clock bumps enabled by a more mature Samsung process would be just as good for all practical purposes.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
That was true of the 1080ti at one point too though, which was a Titan for less money. I think the only surprise here is that they planned to release it so soon after the 3090 launch, but it doesn't look like that is happening anyway.

Reactions: killster1

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
That was true of the 1080ti at one point too though, which was a Titan for less money. I think the only surprise here is that they planned to release it so soon after the 3090 launch, but it doesn't look like that is happening anyway.

I don't think they had any real plans for it. The 3060 will release at the end of the month.

It's pretty clear that's been in the pipeline or planned. If there were 3080 Ti plans, it's pretty clear they were scrapped. There may not have even been any plans as everything seen so far could be rumors made up to get clicks or efforts by Nvidia to find out who's leaking information.

The 3080 Ti is as much of a desire of consumers who want what's basically a 3080 only with more memory as it is an actual product that Nvidia has planned.

ToTTenTranz

Feb 4, 2021
*shrug* your thoughts?

If these leaks are true, the 20GB on that model completely nullify the RX 6800XT's VRAM size advantage.. but nothing else matters until we know its MSRP, or more importantly the actual price that consumers will have to pay for it.

I assume if this GPU was sold for e.g. $900 or less then the 6900XT would probably go down in price, but at this rate we're probably looking at something that will sell for well over $1000, with a performance difference to the RTX3090 being almost negligible at any resolution.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If there were 3080 Ti plans, it's pretty clear they were scrapped. There may not have even been any plans as everything seen so far could be rumors made up to get clicks or efforts by Nvidia to find out who's leaking information.
I think there were most definitely concrete plans on the 3080 Ti before AMD's release. It was the ace in the hole for Nvidia in case AMD actually did release something that was extremely competitive and more powerful than the 3080. But since that didn't happen, Nvidia pushed back all the plans for the early release.

And back on topic, I think these specs or at least part of them are fake, or incorrect. Too many inconsistencies for the "story" to be true that the leaker has the actual card, otherwise the tests that were performed would have used similar versions of software, not jumping between different versions depending on what screen they were showing or benchmark they ran.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I think there were most definitely concrete plans on the 3080 Ti before AMD's release. It was the ace in the hole for Nvidia in case AMD actually did release something that was extremely competitive and more powerful than the 3080. But since that didn't happen, Nvidia pushed back all the plans for the early release.

I'm not really sure I buy that argument since Nvidia already had that very card in the 3090. In some ways if you look at how they've adjusted their naming, the 3090 is in some ways what normally would have been the x80 Ti card. However, the 3090 represents an upper limit for what Nvidia can squeeze out of their big Ampere die, and in a lot of cases there isn't much room between the 3080 and 3090 for another card to exist. The biggest desire for a theoretical 3080 Ti is more memory.

Unless Nvidia made a different die or the situation with regards to their binning has changed, a 3080 Ti is probably a 3090 that they can't sell instead. Those are still selling out (and well above MSRP which suggests strong demand) of those so there's little reason to turn any good dies that could make a 3090 into a 3080 Ti which wouldn't earn as much profit.

Assuming they do have a separate bin, it would probably be on the smaller side in terms of the number of chips that fall into it, so it well could be that Nvidia has no reason to launch it early if supplies would be extremely limited, but given how much of the remainder of the product stack has now launched or been announced, it's hard to lend credence to them sitting on what would be approaching half a year's worth of inventory for a card that will instantly sell out almost regardless of what they charge.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I'm not really sure I buy that argument since Nvidia already had that very card in the 3090. In some ways if you look at how they've adjusted their naming, the 3090 is in some ways what normally would have been the x80 Ti card. However, the 3090 represents an upper limit for what Nvidia can squeeze out of their big Ampere die, and in a lot of cases there isn't much room between the 3080 and 3090 for another card to exist. The biggest desire for a theoretical 3080 Ti is more memory.

Unless Nvidia made a different die or the situation with regards to their binning has changed, a 3080 Ti is probably a 3090 that they can't sell instead. Those are still selling out (and well above MSRP which suggests strong demand) of those so there's little reason to turn any good dies that could make a 3090 into a 3080 Ti which wouldn't earn as much profit.

Assuming they do have a separate bin, it would probably be on the smaller side in terms of the number of chips that fall into it, so it well could be that Nvidia has no reason to launch it early if supplies would be extremely limited, but given how much of the remainder of the product stack has now launched or been announced, it's hard to lend credence to them sitting on what would be approaching half a year's worth of inventory for a card that will instantly sell out almost regardless of what they charge.

First gen Titans on a new node are usually cut down but with more memory than the 80 Ti model. This was the case with Pascal and Maxwell.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
There really isn't a Titan card on Ampere. Some people like to think the 3090 is essentially one and in some ways that could be true, but it doesn't get any special drivers like Titan cards have historically had.

The newest rumors put the 3080 Ti as a 3090 with 12 GB VRAM and two fewer SMs. Assuming that's true the bin for such chips would be very close to the 3090 since they can use anything with a defective memory controller.

It makes more sense for this configuration if GDDR6X is the real limiting factor for production. Even if you could use dies for a 3090, if there aren't enough memory chips for them, it does you no good. If they sell these at $1200-$1300 it's probably more profitable for them than anything else they could do.