30,000 Union Workers have taken the Ford Buyout

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Cattlegod
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: NL5
Originally posted by: bctbct
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
Hurray for unions!
I'm glad to hear your company puts your best interests at heart.:roll:
Or, Don't you work?

Yahoo for unions, miscalculating the global economic impacts on labor for over 30 years!!!! It's nice to watch people blindly resisting change until they are simply out of jobs completely. Do you want to discuss the number of companies that the unions have driven into the ground or out of the country in the last few decades? I guess that pot does have an affect on the hippy mind.

So, Toyota pays their people the same as the Big 3, can sell BETTER cars for substantially LESS, makes a much bigger profit, and gives their employees better working conditions. But, the big 3 is failing due to the unions? Hmmmmmm. Sounds more like SEVERE mis-management. GM pays Wagonneer 400 million dollars to get taken to the cleaners by Toyota - money well spent, no? How much does the CEO of Toyota make?

They didnt misjudge the world economy. They were throw into a no win situation. Everyone seems to think that costs are too high, how about foreign cost is too low?

Nobody did anything to protect this sector, they allow foreign makers to pump cheaper products onto the market and forced the decline of the American Auto industry.

Kind of like your job as soon as your boss decides it feasible to have what you do done cheaper.

Using your wisdom this would have been an employment ad from 1976

Wanted
Auto Workers
Lousy working conditions
Frequent mandatory OT
Good pay and benefits that will decline over the next 30 years until the cheap foreign competition puts us out of business and you will be out on your ass.

I think the average worker in China makes like .08 cents per HOUR, nobody competes with that.

Auto Workers in the US are VASTLY overpaid in terms of wages and compensation packages.

And last I checked not to many cars from China are sold in the US.

What is killing the Big 3 is primarily Japan, and to a lesser extent Korea. You'd have a point on Korea their wages are much cheaper. But not Japan. But you also have to take into account most Toyotas are assembled in the US. Most Toyotas are as american as most Big 3 automobiles.

That is false. Most Toyota's are not as american as the Big 3. All of the engineering that is done on those Toyota's is done in Japan, not USA.

Yeah and most parts in American "made" autos are made is Mexico/Latin America.

No, final assembly is there. A good majority is engineered and manufactured here and shipped there.

Uh no, they are manufactured in Mexico and Latin America, its not just final assembly.

well i can tell you that you are wrong. I work for ford and deal with tons of suppliers. all of our major suppliers are in the USA.

Are you dense? They might be American companies but their manfacturing is done in Mexico and Latin America.

... we have 2 plants in mexico that ONLY does the final assembly.

ALL of the engineering was done in the USA and MOST of the components that are shipped to those plants were engineered AND assembled in the USA. Final assembly of the vehicle is only a VERY small part of the overall production of a vehicle.

NONE of that above paragraph can be said about Toyota.

And no, I'm not dense, you are just uneducated.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: NL5
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
Hurray for unions!
I'm glad to hear your company puts your best interests at heart.:roll:
Or, Don't you work?

Yahoo for unions, miscalculating the global economic impacts on labor for over 30 years!!!! It's nice to watch people blindly resisting change until they are simply out of jobs completely. Do you want to discuss the number of companies that the unions have driven into the ground or out of the country in the last few decades? I guess that pot does have an affect on the hippy mind.

So, Toyota pays their people the same as the Big 3, can sell BETTER cars for substantially LESS, makes a much bigger profit, and gives their employees better working conditions. But, the big 3 is failing due to the unions? Hmmmmmm. Sounds more like SEVERE mis-management. GM pays Wagonneer 400 million dollars to get taken to the cleaners by Toyota - money well spent, no? How much does the CEO of Toyota make?

They didnt misjudge the world economy. They were throw into a no win situation. Everyone seems to think that costs are too high, how about foreign cost is too low?

Nobody did anything to protect this sector, they allow foreign makers to pump cheaper products onto the market and forced the decline of the American Auto industry.

Kind of like your job as soon as your boss decides it feasible to have what you do done cheaper.

Using your wisdom this would have been an employment ad from 1976

Wanted
Auto Workers
Lousy working conditions
Frequent mandatory OT
Good pay and benefits that will decline over the next 30 years until the cheap foreign competition puts us out of business and you will be out on your ass.

I think the average worker in China makes like .08 cents per HOUR, nobody competes with that.

Auto Workers in the US are VASTLY overpaid in terms of wages and compensation packages.

And last I checked not to many cars from China are sold in the US.

What is killing the Big 3 is primarily Japan, and to a lesser extent Korea. You'd have a point on Korea their wages are much cheaper. But not Japan. But you also have to take into account most Toyotas are assembled in the US. Most Toyotas are as american as most Big 3 automobiles.

That is false. Most Toyota's are not as american as the Big 3. All of the engineering that is done on those Toyota's is done in Japan, not USA.

Yeah and most parts in American "made" autos are made is Mexico/Latin America.

No, final assembly is there. A good majority is engineered and manufactured here and shipped there.

Uh no, they are manufactured in Mexico and Latin America, its not just final assembly.

well i can tell you that you are wrong. I work for ford and deal with tons of suppliers. all of our major suppliers are in the USA.

Are you dense? They might be American companies but their manfacturing is done in Mexico and Latin America.

... we have 2 plants in mexico that ONLY does the final assembly.

ALL of the engineering was done in the USA and MOST of the components that are shipped to those plants were engineered AND assembled in the USA. Final assembly of the vehicle is only a VERY small part of the overall production of a vehicle.

NONE of that above paragraph can be said about Toyota.

And no, I'm not dense, you are just uneducated.

Im not talking about final assembly. Wiring harnesses, electronics, etc arent manfactured in the US.

The following list is just a partial list of cars that have ~40% of its parts coming from Mexico/Latin America. In addition, the Equinox has engines from China(its also assembled in Canada).

Chevrolet Equinox
Chevrolet HHR
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Tahoe
Chrysler 300
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Dodge Charger
Ford Focus
Ford Fusion
Ford Mustang

In addition, most cars sold these days dont meet the Government standard of being "made in America".

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Are toy and honda just final assembled here?

Some are, most arent. There are quite a few Toyota models that meet the US Govts standard of being made in america(75% or more of the cars parts are made in the US). Both the Toyota Sienna and Toyota Camry are 90%+ american made in terms of parts/assemby. The majority of american cars dont even come close.

The Toyota Camry and Camry Solara are only beat by the the Silverado and F150 in terms of being made in america. Its far cheaper for Toyota to have US suppliers than have thier Japanese suppliers ship the parts to the US.