3 weeks until Empire Total War!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Perry404
Originally posted by: TehMac
Listen, ETW gets released in March. They wanted to polish ETW and introduce a Multiplayer campaign. So I'm sorry, but it comes out March.

You are wrong and I'm not listening

NAAAA NAAA NAAAA(Hands over ears)

:confused:

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
20 bucks for elite units seems like they're goign to drive some people to pirating that version.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
20 bucks for elite units seems like they're goign to drive some people to pirating that version.

Honestly it is bad marketing. Instead of "Elite Units" they should have just called it the "Special Edition" and nobody would have thought twice.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
It is a Special Edition, they just thought "why not attach some extra value to it?"

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
It is a Special Edition, they just thought "why not attach some extra value to it?"

Because by calling it "Elite Forces Edition" people think they are paying $20 for 5 units and getting ripped off. People are already condition to have a regular and special edition. So if they would have called it the special edition nobody would have paid it any extra mind.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Well, feel free not to buy it. Chances are, you're not the demographic they were catering to anyway.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Well, feel free not to buy it. Chances are, you're not the demographic they were catering to anyway.

I never said I wasn't going to buy it. In fact, I already pre-ordered it. I was just making a statement that it was a stupid PR decision.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Yeah, I thought it was going to be released next week. Just seen it's been delayed for another month.

They did this to Medieval 2 and when it came out it was still buggy. Though not nearly as bad as the expansion pack. I still cannot get through the crusade campaign without crashing at seige battles.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: HeXploiT
Ok then four weeks from now.

Yup, it just sucks that when this thread was made it was during the first half of January....
Another month of waiting. :thumbsdown:

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Originally posted by: HeXploiT
Originally posted by: ayabe
Thought it was pushed back till March sometime.....

Also, this is the first I've heard that you need to pay extra for elite units. :(

Since it requires Steam anyways, I'm getting the steam version, like I did for Med2.

My information came right from the Sega Total war website.
It states that the boxed version is March 3rd and the Steam version is Feb 4th.
One would think it's accurate but who knows.

i belive that's a mistake as they have'nt updated their site in a while. on steam it says its available march.

the elite units BS for an extra $20 is the biggest rip-off i've seen in the industry so far. that's 30% the cost of the entire game for 6 reskinned units w/ better stats. its absurd. Im sure CA wanted nothing to do w/ it but Sega pushed for it.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi
Seeing that they tied even the boxed release version to steam, I'm going to have to hear that it's the second coming before I pay anything other than bargin bin price for it.

And this is the first I heard about some pay for elite unit stuff, which seems to make a purchase more likely to occur in the far future than anytime near.

If they don't drop the "elite" crap, $19 is the most I will pay for E:TW Special Forces (game + elite), maybe $15 for just E:TW if it's the second coming.

Adding steam for the box version is not helping them either (I know there is a offline mode, unless they disable that).

This is assuming no online activation (I have my reasons) or hostile DRM.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
I'll pay whatever they ask. Yeah it sucks that they're charging more for the elite units but c'mon...this is no halflife or wow...this is Total War.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
If it is tied to Steam in some matter of form, it will likely resemble the features of games tied to Windows Live like Fall Out 3. Fall Out 3 was a great game and no DRM or any sort prohibited me from enjoying it.

All these these thread craps and trolling on DRM, or bashing a game on your prejudice of how the software works to me is a little juvenile. And if you're willing to buy the same DRM ridden software for 20 dollars cheaper, then obviously you're not thinking with logic or reason, but out of pure spite.