2nd-Grader Suspended Over Imaginary Grenade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
This is why schools need corporal punishment. Then they could have beaten him instead of suspending him. What a terrible human being that 2nd grader is.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
ahh liberalism.

I think you also missed the 10 year old kid that was arrested for having a fake gun at school.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Best you let them handle the education and speaking too.

NO my children and wife knows who has knowledge . I far better lesson teacher than are they . My grandson is 5 reads writes just fine . My work. His volcabulary is not your equal his is higher . I will wager on that .

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
images

FTSMSM

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
NO my children and wife knows who has knowledge . I far better lesson teacher than are they . My grandson is 5 reads writes just fine . My work. His volcabulary is not your equal his is higher . I will wager on that .

If so, he learned it on his own. :D

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
This is why schools need corporal punishment. Then they could have beaten him instead of suspending him. What a terrible human being that 2nd grader is.

Ya he can come have lessons with my grandson and they can play make believe war if they want . Somehow around me I doubt it would ever come up . As there are so many great fun things to do with real teaching behind it . That It wouldn't take long at all to get his imagination working on productive things all while having fun doing it . I admit some days I just can't get down to their level because of pain ,maybe 1 2 times a month they have to learn study time which is good anyway.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Suspension is justified.

Save the world - as the school allows it to be played is a game that requires no violence and no weapons. The fact that he brought a pretend grenade to what is supposed to be a game that promotes amicable conflict resolution is what is troubling about American culture.

Ya I bet he watches NFL football with Dad on sundays . I just don't see were these kids are getting these villainous tendencies. Can't be TV . Or the movies . I think we need a Cop in every home it has to be the Parents.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
ahh liberalism.

I think you also missed the 10 year old kid that was arrested for having a fake gun at school.

I remember bringing a toy gun to school in elementary many many years ago, and it was for show and tell. No one then thought it was some crime, but we have just gone bonkers on this crap with children. No wonder so many grow up with dysfunctional personalities and can't cope with life. This article is a prime example of the stupid way we handle children in just such circumstances.

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
Hmmm... what's the conservative answer to whether a 2nd grade radical Muslim should've had a real grenade as per his 2nd Amendment rights?

I really hope your mom can't have kids anymore. We don't need any more people that CHOOSE to be retarded. Do the world a favor and off yourself you worthless piece of gutter trash. I got some bleach and draino you can have to drink if you want.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Suspension is justified.

Save the world - as the school allows it to be played is a game that requires no violence and no weapons. The fact that he brought a pretend grenade to what is supposed to be a game that promotes amicable conflict resolution is what is troubling about American culture.

2ND grade and already knows about weapons of war.

Clearly this child is being reared as a terrist.

Did they charge the child under the Patriot Act and send him to Gitmo?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So let me get this straight. They were playing a game of "Rescue the World" and only one kids used an imaginary weapon?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
So let me get this straight. They were playing a game of "Rescue the World" and only one kids used an imaginary weapon?

The school preaches no imaginary violence or imaginary weapons. Kids there are supposed to learn about peaceful conflict resolution.

To rescue a place you don't have to blow everything up.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Likely he's the one who got caught. In school there were always kids who broke the rules. The ones who got caught were the ones who weren't good at getting away with it. I personally never saw most of the bad kids get in trouble, I saw more than a few good kids get in trouble.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I remember bringing a toy gun to school in elementary many many years ago, and it was for show and tell. No one then thought it was some crime, but we have just gone bonkers on this crap with children. No wonder so many grow up with dysfunctional personalities and can't cope with life. This article is a prime example of the stupid way we handle children in just such circumstances.

I remember when high school guys had real guns locked on racks in their pickups and parked on school property so they could go hunting when they got out. No one thought a thing of it and nothing ever happened.

We're a fearful society now. Too bad really.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Friends and I used to play cops and robbers at recess all the time. And the cops and robbers shot at each other.

At that school I'd have been expelled during grade 1.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Pffft one grenade. When I was in 2nd grade we played imaginary war. We had machine guns, bazookas, we lit that playground up.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I remember when high school guys had real guns locked on racks in their pickups and parked on school property so they could go hunting when they got out. No one thought a thing of it and nothing ever happened.

Yeah, I remember gun racks in pickups. Used to be quite common.

School admins and teachers seem to some of the most fvcked up people.

Fern

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

You can thank the confusion created by those that believed disciplining a child early on for bad behavior is the same as abuse, like Dr. Spock and those like him with their beliefs in permissive parenting which today has become a lack of parenting.

http://www.wnd.com/2009/01/87179/

The root cause of decline in America is not that difficult to deduce. When a society becomes out of control, it is because its members elevate self-indulgence and lack self-control. It really is that simple.

In the last 50 years, human nature has not changed. Selfishness, lust, covetousness and all other passions are in the human heart at birth. It is only a trained proclivity to say NO to our natural drives that keeps our passions in check – self-control is what stops us from stealing, murdering and committing adultery. It is parents who must instill this important quality in each generation. History and common sense teach us that the society in which children are not taught to keep control of their passions is destined to moral disintegration.

The same selfishness that is present today started out in children who today are not only thugs on main street like in the Atlanta security guard video but also the same type are on Wall street hiding behind their suits, lawyers, and bought off politicians while promoting that same selfishness on a much grander scale.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Friends and I used to play cops and robbers at recess all the time. And the cops and robbers shot at each other.

At that school I'd have been expelled during grade 1.

No more cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, playing army, chase, tag, etc. But they can play doctor so they can give abortions to the little girls playing mommy.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Update: the mom who reported this has a criminal record and is probably lying to make her little snowflake into a victim:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ity?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

---
School: "A teacher saw Watkins' son, a second-grader, throwing real rocks at other children on the playground on Feb. 1, Hausmann said in an email. "Following a discussion with the student and his mother, the principal imposed a two-hour in-school suspension as a consequence for the student’s behavior. The student was never removed from school grounds by the district."

The mom: "Amanda Lorraine Watkins has several criminal convictions -- for attempted arson, theft and forgery -- that cast doubt on her own credibility."
--

Zero-tolerance can be idiotic, but in this case it most likely never happened.