2600k not detecting 8 cores w/hyperthreading UPDATE: FIXED!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
I'd say the next step is to just do a fresh install of Windows and see what that does.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Run some common benchmarks and compare them with published results. The difference between 4/8, 2/4, and 4/4 should be fairly noticeable depending on the benchmark. If the results are similar to published numbers, it should be working fine and using all of its cores regardless of what the OS or other programs are reporting.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
If you think it's a windows issue, try to do a system restore to the earliest time. I know it sucks but what the hell, give it a shot.

I just completed the build with a new Chip (2600k), motherboard, Ram and a SSD with Windows 7 and Everything is working correctly. Board is a Gigabyte P67A-UD3P.

Last edited:

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Run > MSCONFIG > Boot > Advanced options > Check Number of cores and choose 8. (Or if checked already, try unchecking it.)

This same thing happened with an i7 950 build I did for a friend.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Run > MSCONFIG > Boot > Advanced options > Check Number of cores and choose 8. (Or if checked already, try unchecking it.)

This same thing happened with an i7 950 build I did for a friend.

Hooray that fixed it! I had selected 4 cores originally, so I unchecked it, rebooted, and now it's showing all 8! You are awesome! Thank you! And thanks to everyone else for the suggestions! Now I can concentrate on overclocking!!!! :D

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Hooray that fixed it! I had selected 4 cores originally, so I unchecked it, rebooted, and now it's showing all 8! You are awesome! Thank you! And thanks to everyone else for the suggestions! Now I can concentrate on overclocking!!!! :D

It is never good to use that option to select the max number. Always leave it blank and Windows will use the max available. A lot of tweak sites claim that if you select a number, it works better. But that is not true. Always leave it unchecked unless you want to limit the number to less than what you have. :)

Glad it worked for you.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
It is never good to use that option to select the max number. Always leave it blank and Windows will use the max available. A lot of tweak sites claim that if you select a number, it works better. But that is not true. Always leave it unchecked unless you want to limit the number to less than what you have. :)

Glad it worked for you.

Got it. I had reselected 8 after unchecking it, but I'll let Windows auto select in the future.