2600k not detecting 8 cores w/hyperthreading UPDATE: FIXED!!!

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
First off, I have the p8p67 pro. And yes, I have all cores enabled in the bios.

So when I first installed Windows on my new sandy bridge setup, the task manager and cpuid both showed my 2600k as having 4 cores / 8 threads. But now cpuid is only showing 2 cores / 4 threads with hyperthreading enabled. When I disable hyperthreading, cpuid shows 4 cores / 4 threads. Both coretemp and realtemp will give temp readings for 4 cores when hyperthreading is disabled, and only 2 cores when hyperthreading is enabled. To make this even more weird, windows device manager shows 8 cores with hyperthreading enabled under the CPU collapse.

So essentially Windows device manager is the only thing correctly reporting my CPU when hyperthreading is enabled. Cpuid, coretemp, the taskmanager, and realtemp only show the 2600k as having 2 cores. Even prime 95 is sharing this phenomena - only loading 4 cores whether or not hyperthreading is enabled.

What is going on????

Last edited:

SirGCal

May 11, 2005
www.sirgcal.com
CPUid has been known to have issues with Intel's new chip. As with the other tools, it's likely something to do with chip identification methods they all use. Still it sounds much like a 3rd party problem which would be more accurately directed toward them.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Can anyone else with a 2600k chime in and say whether or not cpuid, the taskmanager, and coretemp/realtemp are showing 4 cores/8 threads with hyperthreading enabled?

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I have updated to the latest Intel chipset drivers via the p8p67 bios thread in the motherboard section, but that did not change anything.

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Task manager shows 8 for me. CPU-Z shows 4/8 - Coretemp/Realtemp show 4 cores.
P8P67 Pro - BIOS 1053 -

SirGCal

May 11, 2005
www.sirgcal.com
Did you transfer an install of windows to the new board/chip or did you do a fresh install? I've heard of issues with transfers with turbo (or even just adding a turbo chip to an already existing board with a previously non-turbo chip). Don't know if it's related but... anything bad is possible with windows...

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
Download the latest CPUZ beta here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_cpuz/

Restart and set all BIOS settings to default. Fire up CPUZ 1.56.3 and let us know how you went. Even better post a screenshot!

And as mentioned above. If you have not done a fresh install, which is required when changing motherboard, even more so when changing motherboard and chipset, then you should do a fresh install of Windows 7!

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
This is a fresh windows install. After the installation was complete, the taskmanager and cpuid correctly showed 4 cores/ 8 threads. It was been at some point since then that it started doing the 2 cores / 4 threads situation I am in now.

I *just* did a full cmos reset. Took the battery out and unplugged the power for 20 minutes. No change in the situation. :( I will download the latest cpuz and see what that says.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Screenshot with hyperthreading / all cores enabled. Ignore the ultra low voltage, the computer is waffling between idle and load here so the voltage is showing as being really low.

processor.jpg

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
The CPU could just be gating off cores, since you are saying that it is idling. Try running something that will use all 8 threads at capacity, and see if it still only shows 2 cores.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
Run Cinebench and see what you get. That'll be a dead giveaway as to how many cores are really running when the system asks for 100% CPU usage.

SirGCal

May 11, 2005
www.sirgcal.com
Something is turning off your cores. Even task manager there only shows two cores (four threads). Otherwise there should be 8 CPU windows because threaded, it's 8 logical cores... One CPU Usage History box for each thread. 8 boxes...

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Were you doing any overclocking and bumping vcore or other voltages after the initial set-up ?

A member in another thread just related how they had 8 hdds die, and wondered if it had anything to do with the bug; and oh, by the way, they were running at 5.2ghz..

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Check your RealTemp 360 settings. I went through something similar a while back where if RealTemp was running, CPIZ showed my CPU speed at half what it really was...turns out, in the settings, the "Clock Modulation" was clicked for 50%.
I'm not sure if that would "turn off" the cores or not...but it's something to look at.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
edit: I read wrong.

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Were you doing any overclocking and bumping vcore or other voltages after the initial set-up ?

A member in another thread just related how they had 8 hdds die, and wondered if it had anything to do with the bug; and oh, by the way, they were running at 5.2ghz..

I have not overclocked at all.

Check your RealTemp 360 settings. I went through something similar a while back where if RealTemp was running, CPIZ showed my CPU speed at half what it really was...turns out, in the settings, the "Clock Modulation" was clicked for 50%.
I'm not sure if that would "turn off" the cores or not...but it's something to look at.

No help.

Oh well. I'm about to say screw it. This board will be replaced when Intel fixes the bugs anyways, and I'll probably just do another brand new win7 install at that point.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
Tried flashing/resetting the BIOS? Or maybe pulling the BIOS battery out for a few minutes?

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Tried flashing/resetting the BIOS? Or maybe pulling the BIOS battery out for a few minutes?

I haven't flashed to bios but I did try resetting it. http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31190242&postcount=13

I am starting to think it's some sort of windows7 installation/configuration problem specific to my machine. When first installed, windows correctly showed 4 cores/8 threads under cpuid and the task manager... it's been at some point since then where this situation has come up.