.223 vs. Bear, what happens?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A large Firecracker is all you need, a loud noise is your best defense. Actually shooting the Bear will just piss it off.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I've been a fan of camping for more than 40 years. I've camped everywhere from the BWCA to Banf in the North to the Okefenokee in the South and the deserts of the Southwest. I have never taken a firearm for self defense although, I have gone hunting. Direct confrontations with bears have been almost non existent. Problems with porcupines, skunks and, possums are way more prevalent.

In answer to your one in a million hypothetical situation, while bear skulls are massive, any armor piercing round will make short work of the bear providing you can hit where you're aiming.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
In answer to your one in a million hypothetical situation, while bear skulls are massive, any armor piercing round will make short work of the bear providing you can hit where you're aiming.

QFT

.223 with steel core NATO std. can penetrate a kevlar helmet at 600 meters.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
I would like a 120mm smoothbore tank cannon vs. bear in an M1 Abrams. That bear ain't go no chance, yo.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
I'd rather have Mosin Nagant 91/30. If 3 shots of 7.62x54 don't take down the bear I still have a bayonet.

Man, even with the Dragoon length, go ahead and fold out that bayonet. Then tell me if you think you have a shot against a bear from that range. I suppose it's better than nothing, though, and certainly better than a carbine length Nagant! :)

7.62x54R has a chance of taking down the bear if you hit it right, though. Especially if you're not firing FMJ.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Bear wouldn't charge you. He'll hide up in the tree or camo himself with the ground and when you walk by he'll just snap your neck or slice your throat open.

Oh wait...you're talking about the animal bear.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
a human skull has been known to stop .22 bullets. I wonder how much a bear's skull can withstand.

There is a ton of different .22 out there. The skulls that have stopped .22 were probably sub-sonic rounds. I doubt a skull could stop a CCI stinger.

REALLY doubt it

Brutus04

Jul 30, 2007
You are probably right...might need a bit more beef, even if all 3 were head shots.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
There is a ton of different .22 out there. The skulls that have stopped .22 were probably sub-sonic rounds. I doubt a skull could stop a CCI stinger.

REALLY doubt it

A former roommate of mine had a skull that would've stopped a .338 Lapua. :p Guy was dense.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Yes, he was a messianic idiot, yes he caused his own death and the death of his girlfriend.

do you understand what the word "generally" means? Bears GENERALLY avoid humans, they GENERALLY don't eat humans... sometimes they do.

Let's suppose we had a 100 chambered revolver & only one bullet in it. We could make the statement that "generally" it won't kill you. "Idiot" is an understatement for what this guy did. It's no different than pointing that revolver at your head, spinning the cylinder, and pulling the trigger. Day after day after day, while proclaiming yourself the revolver whisperer.

Well aimed shots would be head-shots...bear down!
LMAO! Well aimed shots are going to ricochet off a bear's skull. As far as a 12 gauge slug - I know plenty of people who have hunted bears, successfully. Quite often, after a lung shot, they're tracking for a lonnnnng time. (And, you aim for the lungs, not the heart - larger lethal area.) The bears go much further than the range on a shotgun with a slug. i.e. they find both of your bodies in the woods. However, there's a good chance that if you hit the charging bear well enough, it may break off the attack and run from you. That's your best chance of living.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
22LR maybe, but not .223

shitty sub-sonic 22LR maybe. I honestly doubt a human skull can stop a jacketed, non sub-sonic, 22LR such as CCI Minimag or CCI stinger. No way, unless its a ricochet.

Last edited:

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
my point was that you shouldn't aim for a headshot, aim for the body. a .22 might bounce off its skull (or it might penetrate it).
but it will shred internal organs if it hits soft flesh.