.223 vs. Bear, what happens?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Those are legal? damn, nice gun.

I do not object to a revolver, I am just not sure why have both revolvers and pistols, surely one of the two is better?

Why is the desert eagle pussified? what is the difference between the .500 S&W and the .50 AE?

Well, if you compare Hornady ammo alone with the same bullet, the 50 AE pushes a 350g bullet at 1475fps with muzzle energy of 1450ft-lbs.

The .500 S&W pushes the same bullet at 2075fps with a muzzle energy of 2868ft-lbs.

Plus you can get bullets of up to 500grains and beyond with the .500S&W, that 300g is a light bullet for the S&W.

The .50 AE on paper is fine, but its problems are that it is mostly in the desert eagle handgun (an unreliable at best novelty of a firearm), and the ammo is difficult to find (moreso than the .500S&W in my experience).

If you insist on a desert eagle, the .44mag or the .357 versions are much better, as most stores will at least try to carry ammo for those 2 calibers. But if you go with either of those calibers, you might as well get a cheaper, more reliable revolver.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
i don't at all insist on a desert eagle, I am simply ignorant and misinformed.

What are some of the better and cheaper guns? what is better, revolver or pistol?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Not true. There are plenty of rounds that will take out a bear

4 bore would do the job well.

kanon-2.jpg1.980747.jpg

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
i don't at all insist on a desert eagle, I am simply ignorant and misinformed.

What are some of the better and cheaper guns? what is better, revolver or pistol?

What type of gun? Shotgun? Rifle? handgun? What kind of budget are you talking? What use do you need it for?

Asking if revolvers are better than semi-autos is like asking "whats better, a car or a truck?" Its a tough question to answer as both have their place.

DayLaPaul

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Yes, he was a messianic idiot, yes he caused his own death and the death of his girlfriend.

do you understand what the word "generally" means? Bears GENERALLY avoid humans, they GENERALLY don't eat humans... sometimes they do.

The thing is, you brought up self defense as a lead-in to the "bear whisperer," which is somewhat puzzling, since it makes it seem like you think he was in a self defense situation.

It's one thing to defend yourself against bears while minding your own business, but it's another thing entirely to be all up in a bear's business like he was. Poor example, IMO.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
The thing is, you brought up self defense as a lead-in to the "bear whisperer," which is somewhat puzzling, since it makes it seem like you think he was in a self defense situation.

It's one thing to defend yourself against bears while minding your own business, but it's another thing entirely to be all up in a bear's business like he was. Poor example, IMO.

oh i see now. No i meant to give the bear whisperer as an example that even if you know bears well you can still get killed by one.
I obviously do not advocate seeking them out. If you see a bear, quietly walk away. But if a bear charges you, well, shoot to live.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
really, just a 400 lb bear? that's not a very large bear at all... Grizzlies and polars can easily get well above 1000lbs...at that point I'd want something with plenty of stopping power.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
oh i see now. No i meant to give the bear whisperer as an example that even if you know bears well you can still get killed by one.
I obviously do not advocate seeking them out. If you see a bear, quietly walk away. But if a bear charges you, well, shoot to live.

IIRC he was killed by an older bear that was being out-competed for food and thus was a bit desperate which is why it attacked. In that sense the example is good, because even when you think you have wild animals figured out, things can (and usually do) wrong (or right depending on how you look at it).

Heck, this shit happens with domesticated animals as well, and we can even throw people into the equation, its not like there aren't unexpected attacks / murders.

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
3 shots from a .223 to the head or shoulders of a 400 lb bear would have a very high chance of at least stunning the animal (allowing you to get off more shots) if not disabling it. For an instant kill you'd have to hit brain or spinal column.

Also, 7.62x39 > .223

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Natives often use .22 centerfires to take big game including big bears, so they will certainly do the job. .222, .223, .22 Hornet, etc.

That said, if I knew I was going up against a bear, I would not choose a caliber that begins with .2 :D

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
i'm no forensics expert, but three .223 rounds at close range to a bear is going to leave three small holes, lots of internal damage, and probably three bigger holes.

unless it's a pissed-ass grizzly i'd call it dead.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I used to hunt bears in the jungle with a .223.

Never had a problem.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I said in my post, 12ga with slugs. Preferably a mossberg or remington 870 with a large magazine capacity. Most Alaskan guides I have met prefer that for protection, with either a .44mag or higher revolver as a sidearm.

Though a couple of guys I know have started carrying glock 20's in 10mm auto, with buffalo bore or double tap ammo. Same ballistics as the .41 magnum, but with 15 rounds in a semi-auto handgun. I saw Ted Nugent on his hunting show drop a cape buffalo with his 10mm and buffalo bore ammo that charged him after a misplaced shot with his bow. That's what caused me to buy a 10mm for myself.

you hunt cape buffalo or other large animals alot?

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
really, just a 400 lb bear? that's not a very large bear at all... Grizzlies and polars can easily get well above 1000lbs...at that point I'd want something with plenty of stopping power.

400 is roughly average for a male black, they can get a bit bigger though.

I figured a 1000lb brown or polar vs a .223 wouldn't be an interesting discussion... There's the old guides tale about the grizzly that rattles when it walks from all the 30-06 rounds it's carrying. :p

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I used to hunt bears in the jungle with a .223.

Never had a problem.
I used to just walk out the back door and they'd run from me.
(They'd take my trash can with them but they still ran...)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I have a .300 Win Mag that I'd much prefer. For a camp gun I have a Winchester lever action rifle in .44 Magnum that would serve me well.

There is no way I'd rely on a .223 for bear defense.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
223 is a varmint round. If you think bears are varmints you may have to readjust your perception.