Info 2080TI undervolting

Innokentij

Jan 14, 2014
Every wonder how the biggest consumer gpu for gaming die perform when undervolted? God like. Mind blown how good it is, is like nvidia can't do anything bad.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Interesting. My RMA is approved and my replacement (hoping new in box) card should be here next week. I need to scrub down my loop in preparation. I don't think my ears can tolerate fans anymore.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Yep, NVIDIA is significantly more efficient than AMD even with AMD cards undervolted. Once the NVIDIA card is undervolted it's in a category all it's own. People like to hate on NVIDIA but they really crank out solid products.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Yep, NVIDIA is significantly more efficient than AMD even with AMD cards undervolted. Once the NVIDIA card is undervolted it's in a category all it's own. People like to hate on NVIDIA but they really crank out solid products.

Generally it's not their products that people hate on, it's their prices and some of their corporate practices. Products are normally very solid.

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
Sorry , It's not validated UV , 1920mhz vs 1680mhz , Try to do UV at the same clock ( doesn't matter whether it's AMD or NV card )

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000
So I have a blower version of the 2080 ti (work computer, not my choice), and it gets SUPER loud under load. What is the best method for me to quiet things down? I tried this method and my computer froze. I adjusted the fan curves and it isn't a ton better in terms of noise. I don't mind a performance hit, so is there an easy way to simply lower performance, like adjusting the power limit? Will this lower the temps/fan? Thanks!

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I may try doing this with my EVGA 2080TI although it looks like my volts are much much lower than that MSI cards so it may take some tinkering.

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
I don't mind a performance hit, so is there an easy way to simply lower performance, like adjusting the power limit?
That's pretty much it, reduce the power limit and the card will automatically adjust core clock and voltage to stay within the power limit. You could probably also overclock by a bit as well, since the default settings may be a bit conservative.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I find with a 65% power target you can get 90% of stock performance. Since most games dont need the full power of 2080ti with a 60fps limit I find that a great way to reduce heat and noise, especially now with freesync it gives you a cushion while still maintaining smooth framerate.

Mar 11, 2004
Does Nvidia have an option/feature like Frame Rate Target Control (where you set an FPS limit, so that the GPU doesn't just go as hard as possible and you can limit it to your refresh rate or a bit over so that you don't waste energy pushing beyond that)? It would probably help in sustained performance, and overall smoothness.

And yeah, need a bit more testing. Radeon VII for instance apparently undervolts substantially while also overclocking. And if you undervolted and downclocked a bit, bet you'd probably see similar big improvement to perf/W (and maybe would even be able to drop to lower voltages still).

Absolutely Nvidia owners should be utilizing or pushing for more options to maximize their efficiency. If you can get away with reduction in power use for the same or near impossible to tell difference, you should. Helps with heat and noise, and saves you a bit of money.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
And yeah, need a bit more testing. Radeon VII for instance apparently undervolts substantially while also overclocking. And if you undervolted and downclocked a bit, bet you'd probably see similar big improvement to perf/W (and maybe would even be able to drop to lower voltages still).

That is, essentially, correct. Not that it takes away anything from the video linked by @Innokentij . Those results are great! Radeon VII offers more undervolting opportunities just from the default voltage being so high on many of those cards.