2020 Formula Boinc Sprints

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Wow, absolutely bizarre accusations! I've been accused falsely in real life before, and it became obvious that people who have ill intent will automatically assume the same of their opponent. In this case also I think the accusations reveal far more about the accuser than anything else. Probably taking this a bit too seriously as well! I know that I am going to continue to have fun, and if anyone wants to get their knickers in a twist over it, that's their problem! Cheers, gents!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I will just say, somebody needs to take a valium (as the saying used to be), and they are not on our team.

Reactions: lane42

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I actually haven't grasped the import of the flat earth thing since Stefan mentioned it, but maybe it bodes well that @VietOZ still wants to come in here and banter. It would be optimal to figure out a way to dissipate the bad blood that has developed and return to a normal trash talking team relationship!

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Upon reflection, it could be that I have been inadvertently guilty of at least one of the things Team Anandtech stands accused of, namely, downloading more work than can be processed. However, I would refer any would-be accusers to Hanlon's Razor. It's not always easy for noobs like me to manage server-client relationships, and more often than not, the server is stingy rather than profligate. But sometimes there appears an embarrassment of riches, upon which I have aborted work when it became clear that too much was downloaded. I have sought to minimize these occurrences, and also to abort excess work as early as possible. It's not a tactic, really, but a failure on my part to bite off the exact amount to be chewed. If it's me you're looking for, flame away. Most of the other team members either bunker less, or know better how much work they're taking on.

Reactions: Ken g6 and VietOZ

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
hey, i feel you on that one. Sometime when you tried to speculate a Sprint or miscalculated what you need for it then those things happened. You don't have to take it for the team, it's not your fault.
And I also didn't accuse anyone doing this. I always believe there's a good side in everybody. Just that opinions, and options are different. At the end of the day, we're all human and 99.99999% of human (somebody is going to argue now lolz) are going to make mistake. Since we're putting it on the table I'll be honest about it too.
We (personally me) didn't like the way you guys accused us things that we didn't do. We were actually had fun when we monitored Stefan's numbers and tried to counter him. But since you guys starting to accused us, then we're like "F it"
You guys already knew a few of us on different teams ... XS/TSBT/SUSA. We're close friends ... BUT we don't represent the whole team. P3D and other teams can say "XS/TSBT/SUSA is together" ... because they don't know. But for you guys to say that, and we're dealing with each other almost every other week? The same guys hitting you guys over and over again? To me, that's an insult, not only for the mentioned teams but for us(the guys) as well. "Words don't cost anything, but words can put you out of business" I learned that from a good guy. You'd think IF TSBT/SUSA/XS put the whole team's efforts together then how many can actually beat us? You'd need 5x of xii5ku at least :D (sorry trash talking again lolz)
It's just my POV. Take it, leave it or chew on it ... i don't care. I'd still be helping my friends if need to. OZ doesn't represent the whole XS team ... just remember that.

Grasshopper :D
(f*ck can't quit this damn habit lol )

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Huh. Seems like there's a possible discrepancy regarding who accused whom of what, and when. We do have some, um, enthusiastic members that may lead with exuberance first, but as far as I ever knew, it was all just in fun. It's easy to understand in retrospect how typical trash talking can be construed badly under certain circumstances, though. That's why I personally don't feel comfortable doing it online, because text misses a lot of context.

Reactions: biodoc and VietOZ

Markfw

May 16, 2002
hey, i feel you on that one. Sometime when you tried to speculate a Sprint or miscalculated what you need for it then those things happened. You don't have to take it for the team, it's not your fault.
And I also didn't accuse anyone doing this. I always believe there's a good side in everybody. Just that opinions, and options are different. At the end of the day, we're all human and 99.99999% of human (somebody is going to argue now lolz) are going to make mistake. Since we're putting it on the table I'll be honest about it too.
We (personally me) didn't like the way you guys accused us things that we didn't do. We were actually had fun when we monitored Stefan's numbers and tried to counter him. But since you guys starting to accused us, then we're like "F it"
You guys already knew a few of us on different teams ... XS/TSBT/SUSA. We're close friends ... BUT we don't represent the whole team. P3D and other teams can say "XS/TSBT/SUSA is together" ... because they don't know. But for you guys to say that, and we're dealing with each other almost every other week? The same guys hitting you guys over and over again? To me, that's an insult, not only for the mentioned teams but for us(the guys) as well. "Words don't cost anything, but words can put you out of business" I learned that from a good guy. You'd think IF TSBT/SUSA/XS put the whole team's efforts together then how many can actually beat us? You'd need 5x of xii5ku at least :D (sorry trash talking again lolz)
It's just my POV. Take it, leave it or chew on it ... i don't care. I'd still be helping my friends if need to. OZ doesn't represent the whole XS team ... just remember that.

Oh, BTW, I now have 1,000 CPU cores in my house. You may see this in the WCG contest. And its just the start. So I wouldn't get too cocky about your power. :)

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
it's alright. We don't have to explain everything we do.Ppl know us and love us don't need that either.

Earth still flat ok? :D

Edit: This reply was for @crashtech

Last edited:

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
Oh, BTW, I now have 1,000 CPU cores in my house. You may see this in the WCG contest. And its just the start. So I wouldn't get too cocky about your power.
I respected you because you're running WCG and Rosetta.
Since when I was cocky about my power? I couldn't even beat Stefan
But just so you know, 1000 core ain't nothing if you don't know how to maximize it. Just saying

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I respected you because you're running WCG and Rosetta.
Since when I was cocky about my power? I couldn't even beat Stefan
But just so you know, 1000 core ain't nothing if you don't know how to maximize it. Just saying
I don't go for points, I go for science. I guess you don't know, I lost to cancer recently. I lost my bladder, prostate, gall bladder, 40 lymph nodes, my hearing and my balance in the last 2 years. At least I am here to tell you this.

And my statement about being cocky was in regards to this quote:
"You'd think IF TSBT/SUSA/XS put the whole team's efforts together then how many can actually beat us? You'd need 5x of xii5ku at least "

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
XS/TSBT/SUSA IS NOT my power. That's the whole team of each team you mentioned. Do you have any respect for them? What you're saying is like those people on those teams and their efforts don't worth anything? c'mon man

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
How about this? Do your WCG's birthday race! I have less than 1000 cores.
Once you're done with WCG's birthday .. let me know. I'll race you on WCG ... heads on or bunker ... whatever you're prefer.
Now, i'm being cocky :D

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
You guys already knew a few of us on different teams ... XS/TSBT/SUSA. We're close friends ... BUT we don't represent the whole team. P3D and other teams can say "XS/TSBT/SUSA is together" ... because they don't know. But for you guys to say that, and we're dealing with each other almost every other week? The same guys hitting you guys over and over again? To me, that's an insult, not only for the mentioned teams but for us(the guys) as well.
This is intended to be a question in earnest not to stir stuff up, but is XS and TSBT not 'together' in the sense that it's basically one team? Mind you, I'm relatively new to Formula BOINC and I'm sure other members of our TeAm have observed the team dynamic between XS and TSBT far longer and better than I have, but from my limited experience it seems like essentially one team. Not all members go back and forth between the 2 but it seems like a very large portion do. SUSA maybe shouldn't be lumped into that, though, since it doesn't happen on as large of a scale. In the pentathlon XS and TSBT combine to run under TSBT? XS isn't listed in the WCG Birthday challenge, but I would assume the members are participating under TSBT? If that comes across as an insult to the guys on the teams that's not at all my intention I always thought that was just how it was and that was how it was intended to be.

Reactions: lane42

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
If there is still such a thing as netiquette in these days and times, I arguably overstepped it in #606. What's more, when I read the FB post which I quoted, I first thought that this was a different user from the one in the earlier RakeSearch forum thread. If I had realized earlier that it's just the same user, I might have kept his team out of my post. I hope Dark Angel's seemingly firm beliefs about TeAm AnandTechs alleged methods are just his own.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014

Well since we're being honest. The only thing I dislike about your group is the team switching to other teams that aren't XS/TSBT/SUSA/AP just to give them enough points to bump them ahead of us in a Sprint or Marathon. When you (your team) did that to my old team [H] when we were busy playing with the Pent one year it really got under my skin. It was a shady cheap shot. It's still being done to this day.

As for you, and the rest of XS/TSBT/SUSA/AP being the "same" team. I'm just making a wisecrack at it. I couldn't care less that you switch between those teams.

This is intended to be a question in earnest not to stir stuff up, but is XS and TSBT not 'together' in the sense that it's basically one team? Mind you, I'm relatively new to Formula BOINC and I'm sure other members of our TeAm have observed the team dynamic between XS and TSBT far longer and better than I have, but from my limited experience it seems like essentially one team. Not all members go back and forth between the 2 but it seems like a very large portion do. SUSA maybe shouldn't be lumped into that, though, since it doesn't happen on as large of a scale. In the pentathlon XS and TSBT combine to run under TSBT? XS isn't listed in the WCG Birthday challenge, but I would assume the members are participating under TSBT? If that comes across as an insult to the guys on the teams that's not at all my intention I always thought that was just how it was and that was how it was intended to be.

No. Anguillan Pirates is a sub-team of TSBT. XS is XS. From what I can gather, TSBT created Anguillan Pirates to play around, XS noticed and a friendship somehow formed out of that. So they play together. So basically, AP = TSBT, but TSBT doesn't equal AP (not everyone on TSBT switches teams). XS has their core members, some of whom don't switch or do not switch that often. There is a group on both TSBT and XS that go back and forth regularly helping one anothers team in competitions. Some SUSA members take part in it as well.

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
Well since we're being honest. The only thing I dislike about your group is the team switching to other teams that aren't XS/TSBT/SUSA/AP just to give them enough points to bump them ahead of us in a Sprint or Marathon. When you (your team) did that to my old team [H] when we were busy playing with the Pent one year it really got under my skin. It was a shady cheap shot. It's still being done to this day.

I wouldn't call it shady or cheap shot. When you're in a competition, every point you gain counts. The strategies didn't always work out. It back fired on us a few times, remember? So, for us to do that, we'd have to calculated to see if we had enough power or not and there're times proven that we didn't have enough. Not like we can just go around and cheap shot people as we want.
And as far as I can remembered, I got involved with FB and Pent about the same time. The Pent maybe a year before I knew about FB. But I'm pretty sure i was in every Pent since 2018? or maybe 2017 ... but anyways, if i was in the Pent then there's no way i had time to cheap shot you guys.

Maybe i should just go back to run WCG and Einstein like before I knew about all of this. But then where's the fun?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
These international contests necessarily are a clash of cultures. Individuals have their own different standards, even on the same team of course.

@VietOZ, when your team mates dump their speculative pre-sprint bunkers onto third teams (have they asked them if they are welcome?¹), then that's arguably a somewhat effective use of their resources, but something which I for example, and perhaps even some on your team, never consider doing themselves. Seeing users practicing this method no longer upsets me,² but what it does in my eyes is to very much devalue the meaning of Formula BOINC points (should not be taken seriously anyway³). And IMO it shows weakness of these users when they actively use the performance of uninvolved teams in order to carve out a little gain for themselves. (Edit, or if their focus was to carve out a little disadvantage to us, which is another possibility, then that would be weakness indeed.)

¹) Many SETI.Germany members for example dislike both team switching, and speculative bunkering.
²) it's my 4th FB season now
³) contradicting myself by my marathon involvement this year

Last edited:
Reactions: Icecold