2019 NFL offseason and draft thread *OBJ traded to CLE!*

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Packers if Rodgers get's hurt

Pittsburgh for me....even if Ben is healthy. (actually, in spite of a healthy Ben. dude sounds like cancer these days)

But man, The Packers really can't survive an injured Rodgers, lol.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I'm no Ben Roethlisberger fan but in defense of Ben, it seems like he's been playing with some huge nutcases. Not that some of the stuff Roethlisberger has done seems sane...so maybe it's the whole team.

My vote for getting the #1 overall pick for 2020...the Miami Dolphins.

And I would be remiss in not mentioning Baker "Douchebag" Mayfield criticizing the NY Giants for picking Daniel Jones, who is not a winner. This is the same Baker Mayfield who can't outrun the cops and has a record of 6-7 as a starting QB in the NFL.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
And I would be remiss in not mentioning Baker "Douchebag" Mayfield criticizing the NY Giants for picking Daniel Jones, who is not a winner. This is the same Baker Mayfield who can't outrun the cops and has a record of 6-7 as a starting QB in the NFL.

yes but he got on the cover of a major sportsing magazine promo paper thing, so he is very good.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
This is the same Baker Mayfield who [...] has a record of 6-7 as a starting QB in the NFL.

Oh please. It's disingenuous of you not to count his win against the Jets, since his team was losing 0-14 when he stepped in. So that's 7-7 running the Browns, a team that won a whopping 2 games in the previous 45 games in which Mayfield didn't play. 2 wins in 45 freakin' games, and he at least pulled a .500 record.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Oh please. It's disingenuous of you not to count his win against the Jets, since his team was losing 0-14 when he stepped in. So that's 7-7 running the Browns, a team that won a whopping 2 games in the previous 45 games in which Mayfield didn't play. 2 wins in 45 freakin' games, and he at least pulled a .500 record.

You're correct. They were down 0-14 against the hapless Jets. So yes, he did bring them back from an 0-14 deficit but it wasn't exactly against a winning team. Jets were 4-12 last year. The Jets were a dumpster fire. And as we take a closer look at Mayfield's record, you'll see that as a recurring theme in his wins.

42-45 OT loss to Oakland. Raiders were a dumpster fire last year, but putting up 40+ is still a great performance, even in a loss. But just as an ugly win is still a win, an ugly loss is still a loss. Oakland was 4-12 last year.

12-9 OT win against Baltimore. Not exactly an impressive win because Baltimore stunk at the time. Baltimore's defense is decent. Baltimore was 10-6, but keep in mind Flacco was a dumpster fire.

38-14 loss to Chargers. They got smoked. Chargers were a good team last year. 14-4 record.

26-23 OT loss to Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay stunk last year. They were 5-11.

33-18 loss to Pittsburgh. They got smoked again. Pittsburgh was a decent, team last year. 9-6-1.

37-21 loss to Kansas City. Actually not a terrible performance considering how good KC was last year. Still a loss.

28-16 win against Atlanta. It's still a win, but not exactly a win against a powerhouse. Atlanta was a bad, borderline mediocre team, with a 7-9 last year.

35-20 win against Cincinnati. Putting up 35 points is impressive. Even if the opponent wasn't great. Cincinnati was 6-10.

29-13 loss to Houston. Houston was a good team last year. 11-5 record.

26-20 win against Carolina. Cam Newton was playing hurt, and was shut down two weeks later. Carolina was a bad, borderline mediocre, team with an injured Newton with a 7-9 record.

17-16 win against Denver. Denver was a terrible team

26-18 win against Cincinnati. A closer score than the previous game, and putting up 26 points is still good.

26-24 loss against Baltimore. Putting up 24 points is a good performance. As per previous observation, Baltimore does have a decent defense. Lamar Jackson provided a spark and gave Cleveland a loss.

The TL;DR version. Mayfield won against teams that were dumpster fires last year, going 1-5 against teams with winning records. And the lone win was against Baltimore with Flacco still at the helm.

And this is my analysis of the upcoming season for Cleveland if everything goes right. I have them going 9-7, which is a huge huge improvement but not enough to be a playoff team. The win-loss can easily change, and not for the better, and it hinges mainly on two games.

I feel the Titans have enough gas in the tank to win. And I have them splitting with Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh definitely has enough talent to sweep them. So Cleveland can easily drop to 7-9. A 7-9 record would still seem like a breath of fresh air for Cleveland at this point.

Win - Opponent: Titans
Win - Opponent: Jets
Loss - Opponents: Rams
Loss - Opponents: Ravens
Win - Opponents: 49ers
Loss - Opponents: Seahawks
Loss - Opponents: Patriots
Win - Opponents: Bills
Loss - Opponents: Pittsburgh
Win - Opponents: Dolphins
Win - Opponents: Pittsburgh
Win - Opponents: Bungals
Win - Opponent: Cardinals
Loss - Opponents: Ravens
Win - Opponents: Bungals

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Who cares what teams he won against. He didn't pick the teams, he played who was put in front of him. I hate that stupid argument.

6/7 or 7/7 however you want to put it, for the Browns, as your first year starting in the NFL, is pretty fucking good.

Reactions: KMFJD

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Who cares what teams he won against. He didn't pick the teams, he played who was put in front of him. I hate that stupid argument.

6/7 or 7/7 however you want to put it, for the Browns, as your first year starting in the NFL, is pretty fucking good.

Pros: (1) Browns got a huge boost when Hue Jackson was fired as head coach (2) new weapons like OBJ and Hunt after his suspension (3) better defense

Cons: (1) Lost important OL pieces like Zietler (2) more film on Mayfield for opponents (3) Browns won't be taken for granted by other teams this year

I honestly think Darnold is going to have a better year than Mayfield this year. Those two are going to be the next great NFL rivalry.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Cowboys have offered to make holdout RB Ezekiel Elliott one of the "two highest-paid running backs" in the NFL.
In other words, more than Le'Veon Bell but less than Todd Gurley's market re-setter. That is surely not going to fly with Elliott, who is undoubtedly aiming to become the league's highest-paid runner. What had seemed to be a fairly routine holdout has taken on a bit of an edge in recent weeks. It is hard to envision Elliott missing regular season games, but the opener is in just 17 days.

Take the money you idiot before the Cowboys realize how much the Rams overpaid Gurley and regain their senses.

Azurik

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2002
With Gordon back, the Pats are maintaining their top position ranking. I see another deep playoff run or another Superbowl appearance.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Rumors are surfacing that Luck is retiring. Watching the Bears pre-season game right now and the announcers are going bananas over it.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

Cause people are making Mayfield out to be the next coming of Tom Brady. Look, I agree that Mayfield has brought hope to the Browns. I agree he did a lot of positive things because prior to him getting there, they were losing to those 3-13 and 4-12 teams. That's how bad the Browns were. But let's not anoint Mayfield the next great QB just yet. He did some good things, but at best it was enough to bring his team to mediocre status.

Regarding Andrew Luck. I think booing him was the wrong thing to do. The man literally went through a meat grinder, and his limbs seemed to be hanging on by threads. As in my Andrew Luck thread, he could have hung on and strung this along for more money if that's what he's about. He actually gave closure to the Colts and Colts fans by hanging it up. He could have easily milked this for another 60-100 million.

As for Ezekial Elliot. I'm not a Cowboys fan. Much turmoil to that organization. However, I have no problems with a player outplaying his contract demanding a new one. As much as I think Zeke is an immature man-child, I can't argue about the fact that he has been the #1 running back since he got into the NFL. At worst you can say he's been #2. NFL teams are quick to ask a player to take a pay reduction or face getting cut. Why can't a player do the opposite?

The NFL salary structure needs to have all contracts guaranteed for a minimum of 50% of the contract value. It gives protection to the players, while still giving some protection to NFL owners. This is in stark contrast to NBA and MLB contracts where players run the league. A player can phone it in once he's received a big contract. Especially in baseball where they're handing out 10 year $20 - $30 million per year contracts. And those are fully guaranteed.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Bucs sign Vinnie Testaverde to fill in for Blaine Gabbert at backup QB. Seriously - read the article.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27455365/bucs-sign-qb-testaverde-fill-gabbert

my initial reaction:

MQdHmuc.gif