2018 - the year the GOP came for our entitlements

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Kinda like the arctic is going to be ice-free by 2013 and "children just aren't going to know what snow is anymore"?

Yea that was an a crap article, The arctic will be ice free in the next 80 years according to the majority of climate scientists. That will probably be an extinction level event for some species.

icevol.gif

Can you spot a trend? http://sciencenordic.com/when-will-arctic-be-ice-free

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I've never understood the GOP's hatred of SS. For the truely rich it is a pretty small tax, since it is capped. Are they just pissed it is a huge pot of money that isn't invested in the stock market? Or are they just truly evil and want to see seniors dying on the streets? Bring back the good old days of 1932.
I don't get this either. Why do Republicans always go after Social Security? It's loved enough by millions that you'd think you'd earn points by improving it, not by killing it or making people wait longer / get less out of it.

Reactions: Ken g6

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't get this either. Why do Republicans always go after Social Security? It's loved enough by millions that you'd think you'd earn points by improving it, not by killing it or making people wait longer / get less out of it.

Make it private and remove the employer 7.65% match - instant tax cut for the top again. There was a time that I didn't think that way but time after time after time it's easy to spot and finally a realization that it's very true.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Social security takes money from rich people and gives it to poor people. From the tax bill they just passed it’s obvious that popularity of their policies is not important to them. Giving money to rich people is though. Hence, they hate social security.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Because getting rid of it marginally affects their true constituents (the rich) in a negative way, while benefiting then in a positive way? They've proven that they don't need to try for votes, after all.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017

That's kind of a common theme for conservatives different conservative governments have been attacking social security in australia for years. Mainly unemployment benefits, pensions and benefits for full time students.

Although our current conservative government seemed to get a bit confused and aggressively went after multinationals for not paying tax. Seriously it was weird.

Oh and they also increased taxes in some areas. It was all very confusing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol, ice free, you know kinda like ... ice free?

so you're batting 1.000 on posting shit sources and with another 1.000 average, are responding to your incompetence by deflecting towards something else you clearly don't understand.

How the fuck did you survive this long, being so fucking stupid? Must require tons of support in your community, all you brainless stupid people keeping each other alive all these years. Gee, one might think that your need to suck on government support to keep you alive would have you voting for self preservation, but nope!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"Entitlement", what an ugly disgusting word for the lifeblood of our consumers. Trickle down has stripped people of their income, let's also strip our assistance to them?! This is what predatory Capitalism looks like, a destructive creature that tries to eat its own. To actually do good and fix things, to patch up the gaping hole between productivity and income, the American people MUST receive MORE aid. Not less.

Who is going to buy Wall Street's products if we take the people's last few pennies away? Wall Street does not, and can not, care. Tomorrow's quarterly profits are the law. Corporate boards are literally mandated by law to pursue it at the destruction of EVERYTHING else. Including you and your children. If you want a future, Wall Street must be reigned in and prevented from finishing casting its cataclysm upon our people.

Capitalism does not survive if we do not protect its consumers. We must step in and aid them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
"Entitlement", what an ugly disgusting word for the lifeblood of our consumers. Trickle down has stripped people of their income, let's also strip our assistance to them?! This is what predatory Capitalism looks like, a destructive creature that tries to eat its own. To actually do good and fix things, to patch up the gaping hole between productivity and income, the American people MUST receive MORE aid. Not less.

Who is going to buy Wall Street's products if we take the people's last few pennies away? Wall Street does not, and can not, care. Tomorrow's quarterly profits are the law. Corporate boards are literally mandated by law to pursue it at the destruction of EVERYTHING else. Including you and your children. If you want a future, Wall Street must be reigned in and prevented from finishing casting its cataclysm upon our people.

Capitalism does not survive if we do not protect its consumers. We must step in and aid them.

Sort of amazing to watch America voluntarily return to, essentially, the Guilded Age, at the demand of the very people it will hurt the most.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sort of amazing to watch America voluntarily return to, essentially, the Guilded Age, at the demand of the very people it will hurt the most.

There's a decent case that this is largely driven by racism. Low income whites often oppose social welfare spending based in significant part because they think it helps undeserving minorities, even though low income whites are the primary beneficiaries. This is how you end up with a place like West Virginia voting overwhelmingly to effectively cut its own throat.

There's some good research that indicates this kind of tribalism screws up the ability for the government to effectively provide a social safety net. There's also a lot of anecdotal evidence you can get just from looking at news reports on why people oppose social spending. It's very often because of some imagined lazy person scamming the system. When asked to describe those lazy people they sure sound a lot like black people.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Decades of right wing propaganda have served the intended purpose.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There's a decent case that this is largely driven by racism. Low income whites often oppose social welfare spending based in significant part because they think it helps undeserving minorities, even though low income whites are the primary beneficiaries. This is how you end up with a place like West Virginia voting overwhelmingly to effectively cut its own throat.

There's some good research that indicates this kind of tribalism screws up the ability for the government to effectively provide a social safety net. There's also a lot of anecdotal evidence you can get just from looking at news reports on why people oppose social spending. It's very often because of some imagined lazy person scamming the system. When asked to describe those lazy people they sure sound a lot like black people.

Republicans have capitalized on this politically by proposing "reform" that dog whistles to white poor voters that their pols will take away government assistance from lazy black people instead of the truly needy like them. Which is of course a lie since Republicans want to take it away from everyone.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I've been a working taxpayer since age 14. For the last 15 years or so I've been a true rarity-a self employed person who declares all their income. I'm less than six months away from being eligible for Medicare and SS and thanks to Trump my monthly ACA premiums more than doubled starting this month.

It's amazing how much damage one bad President can do, especially when they are set on dismantling and looting the country.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I've been a working taxpayer since age 14. For the last 15 years or so I've been a true rarity-a self employed person who declares all their income. I'm less than six months away from being eligible for Medicare and SS and thanks to Trump my monthly ACA premiums more than doubled starting this month.

It's amazing how much damage one bad President can do, especially when they are set on dismantling and looting the country.

You seem very ungrateful to the President for all your huge winning.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
I still think we deserve these rabid fundos to burn down the system and then when the populace rise against these wall street fuckers and get their comeuppance. a total cleansing of the system.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I still think we deserve these rabid fundos to burn down the system and then when the populace rise against these wall street fuckers and get their comeuppance. a total cleansing of the system.
In order for that to happen the populace has to be united through a common goal. Yet, America has never been as divided as it is now. I'm afraid it will take complete collapse of our society before we become united again. And when I say complete I mean USSR like in the late 80/s and 90's. It would be a dark dark place to be, hundreds of millions will lose everything down to the last penny, thousands if not millions will die through direct violence or indirect causes, it will take decades to recover. I understand that the idea is appealing, and it's possible that this is what will happen, but it's not something to be taken lightly. Trump was in part a F-U move, think how bad things have gotten already in just one year, do you really want to take that path all the way down?

Jul 9, 2009
so you're batting 1.000 on posting shit sources and with another 1.000 average, are responding to your incompetence by deflecting towards something else you clearly don't understand.

How the fuck did you survive this long, being so fucking stupid? Must require tons of support in your community, all you brainless stupid people keeping each other alive all these years. Gee, one might think that your need to suck on government support to keep you alive would have you voting for self preservation, but nope!
Whooo hooo ! I'm batting a thousand! Thanks Zin.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Burn the village to save it?

Reactions: cirrrocco

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
In order for that to happen the populace has to be united through a common goal. Yet, America has never been as divided as it is now. I'm afraid it will take complete collapse of our society before we become united again. And when I say complete I mean USSR like in the late 80/s and 90's. It would be a dark dark place to be, hundreds of millions will lose everything down to the last penny, thousands if not millions will die through direct violence or indirect causes, it will take decades to recover. I understand that the idea is appealing, and it's possible that this is what will happen, but it's not something to be taken lightly. Trump was in part a F-U move, think how bad things have gotten already in just one year, do you really want to take that path all the way down?

I know man, but just pissed off. Hillary was no different just a slower bleed. How can we get to a more open , responsive govt. I feel like the poison of corruption and lobbying has totally corrupted our system. I mean logic does not have any place. we spend about a trillion a year on the military, spent 5-10 trillion on stupid wars and we obsess over taking care of our own people.

The govt openly lobbies for corporations, fucks with the infrastructure. I mean how much is the revenue shortfall for amtrak, a few billion, what's the revenue shortfall for public transportation. It's nothing compared to the amt of money that is spent on non essential wars. people just dont have their priorities right. How do we get to a more interested populace that is not addicted to fb, sports is a conundrum.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

It's one of those rare instances when you're glad you're not younger, like 57, right? You'd be getting years of cornholio instead of months.