2016 - the movie

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Anti-Obama Movie Stuns Hollywood For #3

Third place - eat your heart out Michael Moore. Not literally though. I love the smell of anti-Obama sentiment in the morning. Smells like...victory.

Well, comparing one hit piece movie with another...

Fahrenheit 9/11 opened to about $27,558 per screen
http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2004&wknd=26&p=.htm

2016 did about $5,998 per screen the 1st weekend of wide release.
http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2012&wknd=34&p=.htm

the upcoming numbers will be interesting I guess.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
A right wing echo box movie like the Moore movies? I'll pass.

I can't imagine anyone that wasn't already anti-Obama actually paying to see this. If I wanted two hours of half truths and fatalist predictions I could get them for free from either party and avoid going to the theater all together.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Hah.. The majority of liberals are college non-educated androgynous whites who feel guilty for being white.

It's not as simple as that.

yeah it's a blog.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/i...e-neuroscience-of-liberals-and-conservatives/

But as far as I know Discover Magazine is a fairly reputable science magazine that's targeted more at lay people than researchers.
Please keep in mind from the beginning that this is not an endorsement of any one political party. This is science—we’ll just be discussing the data. Ready?
Recent converging studies are showing that liberals tend to have a larger and/or more active anterior cingulate cortex, or ACC—useful in detecting and judging conflict and error—and conservatives are more likely to have an enlarged amygdala, where the development and storage of emotional memories takes place. More than one study has shown these same results, which is why I felt it was worth investigating.

Maybe each study has some flaws—I can probably find a few things in every study that could be improved upon. I also know the danger of over-applying and over-generalization of results like these to an entire population, or assuming that a group tendency necessarily applies to every single person in that group. Correlations are also not the same as causation.

So I get it. I don’t want MRI scans to become the phrenology of politics any more than you do.
But let’s not lose sight of the big picture here.

Like Chris had mentioned, some of these correlations between brain function/anatomy and specific political party are consistent across multiple studies, of varying design and methodology, over years of research. That tells me something. The exact analysis or interpretation of the individual studies might not be 100% correct as stated in those papers, but there is obviously a pattern, and that’s what I’m most interested in.
It's an interesting read.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
They had a film on the drawing board called Mitt's America, but it involved war and nukes and destruction with Americans living in Canada. Those that survived, that is. :D

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It's like watching FOX on the big screen selling what usually sells to the far right: fear, hate, anger, distress, suspicion and on and on.

If I'm still around to do it in 2016, I'll bring up this nicely done propaganda piece and see how "accurate" it was, but like most other Repub doomsday boogyman-in-your-closet ploys, I'd imagine this movie is going to debunk itself just from the passing of time...just like the others did.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm still trying to figure out how making a propaganda movie qualifies the producer as a victim. If I stand in the grocery store and scream obscenities at the cereal boxes and people ignore the hell out of me, does that make me a victim of a government/cereal establishment conspiracy?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
When you lose, you weasel out.

:D One day, you will wake up, no longer in your mom's basement, scared that you have to face the real world. You will wonder how all the other 35 year olds manage to face the real world, and then beg your mom to let you back into the basement.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
:D One day, you will wake up, no longer in your mom's basement, scared that you have to face the real world. You will wonder how all the other 35 year olds manage to face the real world, and then beg your mom to let you back into the basement.
The voice of experience!

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I applaud the film asking honest, unbiased, straight down the middle neutrals what they think of Obama. It acts in stark contrast to Moores nonsense which basically amounted to a Liberal asking other Liberals whether they thought a Conservative deserves 4 more years. How such a simple truth of how Obama has ruled a country based upon what his father would have wanted could have been overlooked for so long I can only imagine. You almost have to pity Obama. His dad had been indoctrinating him in his backwards liberal ways and poisoning his mind his entire life.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Not everyone lives like you.

Many still value integrity.

61NDt2bhJjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited: