2016 - the movie

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Anti-Obama Movie Stuns Hollywood For #3

Rocky Mountain Pictures’ documentary 2016 Obama’s America http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2016__obama_s_a6873__120824215806.jpgin third place after starting out Friday #1. That’s stunning because it’s playing in a 1/3 less theaters across North American than the other wide release actioners.

Third place - eat your heart out Michael Moore. Not literally though. I love the smell of anti-Obama sentiment in the morning. Smells like...victory.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Late August and September are notoriously weak times of year for film so the bar is pretty low. $6 mil is nearly nothing and they've exhausted the expansion since this film doesn't really play the major cities.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
It's doing well because they are advertising and hyping the crap out of it in right-wing media outlets. On talk radio the ads and the promotion by the hosts have both been relentless.

I don't see how having people who hate Obama and would never vote for him go to see a movie telling them they should hate Obama and never vote for him translates into "victory".

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It is a victory in the same way the US claims victory in the war of 1812. A small, insignificant power fought a superpower well enough to force them to stop. The US took a huge beating, but survived, which was amazing.

This movie had to fight hard against the establishment. Yahoo movies even refused to list it in their showings. Many theaters refused to show it. Yet, even with all that, it managed to do quite well at the box office. It is a victory.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Great date movie. Nothing says let me into your pants like warming her up with a couple hours of this kind of thing.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Yet, even with all that, it managed to do quite well at the box office. It is a victory.

Hear this same nonsense every time something put out by a right-winger does anything but utterly flop. And it's always for the same reason: massive promotion in right-wing media outlets.

This is nothing more than a partisan circle-jerk. Limbaugh and Hannity and Breitbart told their true believers to go out and see the movie, and so they did. Thy got a few million dollars of free advertising and made a few million dollars. What's the big victory exactly?

Great date movie. Nothing says let me into your pants like warming her up with a couple hours of this kind of thing.

I have a feeling the median age of viewers of this movie is somewhere north of the Social Security cut-off. :)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It is a victory in the same way the US claims victory in the war of 1812. A small, insignificant power fought a superpower well enough to force them to stop. The US took a huge beating, but survived, which was amazing.

This movie had to fight hard against the establishment. Yahoo movies even refused to list it in their showings. Many theaters refused to show it. Yet, even with all that, it managed to do quite well at the box office. It is a victory.
As far as I know, the only thing one needs to make a movie is a camera and a big bag of money. But live the thrill.

On the War of 1812. A small, insignificant power fought a superpower while that superpower was engaged in a death struggle with another superpower. Then France lost and the Americans decided it was a most excellent time to reach a quick peace deal before the British retrained their guns.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
There were leftists who tried to shut down this movie since they couldn't tolerate any criticism of obma

oooh ooh let me play!

there were rightists who tried to shut down Farenheit 9/11 because they couldn't tolerate any criticism of Bush.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/2016-obamas-america/

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/2016-obamas-america/showtimes/

A lot of theaters didn't show it because it wouldn't make any money where those theaters are located. There is no conspiracy not to show the film.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
As far as I know, the only thing one needs to make a movie is a camera and a big bag of money. But live the thrill.

On the War of 1812. A small, insignificant power fought a superpower while that superpower was engaged in a death struggle with another superpower. Then France lost and the Americans decided it was a most excellent time to reach a quick peace deal before the British retrained their guns.

The privateers were the major problem for the British. That was the main reason for the assault on Baltimore, to shut down the shipyards churning out hulls for the privateers As vast as the Royal Navy was it couldn't be everywhere and their trade was taking a huge beating.

The ground war was pretty much a debacle for the US.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
It's doing well because they are advertising and hyping the crap out of it in right-wing media outlets. On talk radio the ads and the promotion by the hosts have both been relentless.

I don't see how having people who hate Obama and would never vote for him go to see a movie telling them they should hate Obama and never vote for him translates into "victory".

Haha, very true. Though its the same as having a discussion about politics with a conservative. You wont change his mind, the more of us there are the smarter we feel since we are surrounded by people who are screaming the same message as we are. Like watching only fox news and saying "Man, the liberals are stupid, why cant they just smarten up".

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Interesting that this movie is releasing now while the GOP/rightie's pressure forced Hollywood to delay opening the movie about killing OBL until after the election (was originally scheduled for September).

Personally I'm kind of surprised consumers would shell out hard cash to see that sort of thing, I'm sure the Koch brothers or their peers will be pushing it for free in the swing states.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Aside from the Fast and Furious scandal, and the birther thing, what do they really have? I've seen lots of posts linking to articles that say "Look at this thing Obama said or did that when taken out of context is mildly offensive!" (to paraphrase) Yet, in total, it doesn't hold a candle to the total clusterfuck that was the G.W. Bush presidency.

Seriously, I want to know.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Just saw it with my wife. It was playing at every theater in the area. The audience broke out into applause at the end. Oh, and we're a blue state.

Last edited: