*** 2016 NBA Playoff thread ***

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's not how the regular season MVP award works.

It's not a question of who the best overall player is (Lebron). It's basically who has the most impressive regular season that also translates to wins for their team. The Warriors won a record-setting 73 games, and Steph was their best player for the regular season, so he's the logical choice for MVP.

He also set a pile of individual records that won't likely be matched by anyone else, anytime soon.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I dunno about that personally. He's a great/the greatest shooter but I think with the way the game is trending you'll also see the impact of more emphasis on the development of the 3pt shot in the coming years - I think it'll be something players will have and practice earlier and harder. They might not reach Curry's peak as far as being a pretty well rounded player and excellent shooter but I think we'll actually see some players approach him in terms of consistency/accuracy - maybe a next generation Kyle Korver type.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I dunno about that personally. He's a great/the greatest shooter but I think with the way the game is trending you'll also see the impact of more emphasis on the development of the 3pt shot in the coming years - I think it'll be something players will have and practice earlier and harder. They might not reach Curry's peak as far as being a pretty well rounded player and excellent shooter but I think we'll actually see some players approach him in terms of consistency/accuracy - maybe a next generation Kyle Korver type.
Kyle Korver-level marksmen have been around for a couple decades (even before then, but not as high-efficiency). It's much harder to do it as a primary scoring option, and that's partly why it's harder for Steph Curry to go off for an entire 7 game series when the defense is constantly double-teaming him and forcing somebody else to make a play.*

In the regular season, defenders are more likely to switch or go under and that's partly why Steph is so successful. Steph has worked on his game incredibly hard the past few years, which explains how a skinny shooter out of Davidson has morphed into an MVP. Also if you compare his actual shot chart vs. the rest of the NBA, it's jaw-dropping how far his range extends.

* People knock Steph for not winning Finals MVP last year, but he still scored 26 PPG. Not exactly chopped liver.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I think that if and as the game moves more towards that type of scoring, defenses will adjust accordingly. You probably aren't likely to see people become that prolific simply because defenses will no longer allow it.

Yeah, there will be more an more crazy numbers piling up, but consider that Curry set a record last year, then shattered that this year with 100+ more threes beyond his own record.

That's nuts.

At the same time, if the game does adjust to counter the three-ball effectively, you might see a general pivot back to traditional below-the-rim play.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

As a self admitted "3 point hawk" I both love and hate the 3 point shot. I love it because if you are good it's a devastating shot and can quickly turn games around.

I hate it because I feel like the sport has become far too in love with it. Particularly in college when shooters are not that great. There's too much effort to try and get a shot lined up only to watch it clunk off the front of the rim. It's painful watching teams try and scramble and hit threes to make up points instead of getting good shots or putting the ball on the floor and getting the traditional "And 1" three point play.

As you stretch out the floor with a bunch of small ball three point shooters it just sort of changes what basketball is and turns it into sort of a forced and predictable mode of getting shots off from behind the arc. I just don't really like it and what it is doing for the game right now.

Imagine what would happen to the NFL if they awarded 7 points to field goals longer than say...45 yards. That's what I feel like the 3 point shot is doing to the game. It's just shifting the style to something that isn't as fun to watch.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Have 3 pointers gone up significantly across the league?
Or just because of Steph?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Have 3 pointers gone up significantly across the league?
Or just because of Steph?

Yes.

IIRC, Cleveland has the best 3pt shooting % in the league, and...Huston? has the most 3pt ATT per game.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
If the Cavs win tonight and game 7 I wonder what the Lebron haters will say about him.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
other than varejao not getting credit for the flop, refs doing their job to keep warriors in this.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Wow, I've been super busy all day and come back to this??.

I can safely say that these playoffs have been pretty crazy. Definitely haven't been boring, well except for most of the eastern playoffs.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
half court pass, blind backwards pass, and 2 hand jam, throw it down big man!